2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lutz, Camaro and global RWD....

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 12:28 PM

Re: Lutz, Camaro and global RWD....

Personally, I see the GTO's days as numbered.....it just doesn't stick out and it's to pricey for what it is. Granted, IMHO, the 06 GTO's are beautiful cars, and I would consider buying one if I was in the market. Like stated above....with the G8, is there really going to be a need for the GTO?
Old 01-16-2006, 12:31 PM
Disciple

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Could be.

But what if Caddy does a Sigma coupe, with a starting price in the GTO range. See, it gets complicated.
A Caddy Sigma couple and convertible seem like no brainers.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:56 PM

GM vehicles on the global rwd architecture will have long wheel-bases and short overhangs. All-wheel drive will be available. The Camaro and Velite, a convertible concept introduced at the 2004 New York auto show, demonstrate the possibilities for the architecture.
anyone else notice that? what if the gto goes awd. Or even the impala, i think thatd be pretty good
Old 01-16-2006, 12:58 PM

Just an idea....

Pontiac really does not need a larger "traditional" large RWD sedan....if they are gonna be in the dealerships as Buick who sells nothing but "Traditional" large sedans and who will also have a large RWD sedan. So why not....instead of doing a G8, do a quad coupe full sized GTO in it's place. This would give Pontiac a completly unique car that will not steal sales from Buick, and maybe gain buyers looking for something a little different. This assumes that the new G6 moves up in size with Malibu to fill the larger Grand Prix/Impala FWD void. (as currently planned)

Then, Since there are normally no Buick/Pontiac dealers that also sell Chevrolet, you could do a business case for a Camaro sized Firebird on Zeta. Maybe make it have an aggressive, but refined in your face slant. Offer more high end options from the Zeta parts bin than the Camaro, Maybe AWD and a HF V6 standard...and a turbo V6 on the highend. I see it as kinda like the 350Z and G35...but with more differention because GM has a larger parts bin. Would definatly give the car a much different personality than the Camaro with not much investment.

Last edited by formula79; 01-16-2006 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by 94Camaro_Z_28
Personally, I see the GTO's days as numbered.....it just doesn't stick out and it's to pricey for what it is. Granted, IMHO, the 06 GTO's are beautiful cars, and I would consider buying one if I was in the market. Like stated above....with the G8, is there really going to be a need for the GTO?
GTO is completely loaded and has the LS2 corvette engine for ~30k... SS 02 Camaro's were just as much.

I dont' see how their "pricey for what it is". It may be pricey, but not for what it includes. GTO's problem is that they don't offer a cheaper model, stripped down, smaller engine etc...

If you think you'll get a LS2 Loaded Camaro for less then 30k step outside and get a breath of fresh air. 30k is not that much money for an automobile these days.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chrome383Z
GTO is completely loaded and has the LS2 corvette engine for ~30k... SS 02 Camaro's were just as much.

I dont' see how their "pricey for what it is". It may be pricey, but not for what it includes. GTO's problem is that they don't offer a cheaper model, stripped down, smaller engine etc...

If you think you'll get a LS2 Loaded Camaro for less then 30k step outside and get a breath of fresh air. 30k is not that much money for an automobile these days.

Exactly....how many sub-$30K 400HP cars are there nowadays?

*crickets chirping*
Old 01-16-2006, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by turbo96z28
good read Charlie.

one thing that stuck out to me:

what engine options do you think Lutz has in mind.

what i mean is, if they go with a V6 and two V8s, are we talking along the lines of 5.3 style engine to fill the gap between the V6 and top model V8?
Now obviously this isn't confirmed, but personally I could see a small base v8 such as the LS4 for the base V8 car then whatever the Vette V8 is as the other one as in the past.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:50 PM

Good read, too bad they cant build all of those cars.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
Just an idea....

Pontiac really does not need a larger "traditional" large RWD sedan....if they are gonna be in the dealerships as Buick who sells nothing but "Traditional" large sedans and who will also have a large RWD sedan. So why not....instead of doing a G8, do a quad coupe full sized GTO in it's place. This would give Pontiac a completly unique car that will not steal sales from Buick, and maybe gain buyers looking for something a little different. This assumes that the new G6 moves up in size with Malibu to fill the larger Grand Prix/Impala FWD void. (as currently planned)

Then, Since there are normally no Buick/Pontiac dealers that also sell Chevrolet, you could do a business case for a Camaro sized Firebird on Zeta. Maybe make it have an aggressive, but refined in your face slant. Offer more high end options from the Zeta parts bin than the Camaro, Maybe AWD and a HF V6 standard...and a turbo V6 on the highend. I see it as kinda like the 350Z and G35...but with more differention because GM has a larger parts bin. Would definatly give the car a much different personality than the Camaro with not much investment.
I could imagine the uproar of a Firebird not having some kind of V8. But since Zeta is AWD capable. How would a 350HP V8/AWD do for under $30K? I think that could do WONDERS for Pontiac, and give them something that could actually compete with the Mazdaspeed 6, EVO, STI, etc..
Old 01-16-2006, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Pontiac is probably wondering, if they do a RWD sedan like G8, is there even a need for a GTO? Or, does the business case for GTO become much stronger if it is really nothing more than a G8 coupe, and shares most of its sheetmetal?
Exactly right.

If you already have a RWD, 400 hp, 6 speed, 5 passenger sedan.....can you also make the case for a RWD, 400hp, 6 speed, 5 passenger coupe? Especially in the volume that GTO sells?

Or, would a quad coupe cover both segments?

Last edited by Z284ever; 01-16-2006 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:14 PM

I like the idea of a quad coupe G8. It could ride on the SWB design, but still have the room to hold 5 people.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:01 PM

But what if Caddy does a Sigma coupe, with a starting price in the GTO range. See, it gets complicated.
I think this would be a bad move. You don't want to dilute the brand image that they have worked so hard to create.

Randy
Old 01-16-2006, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by rlchv70
I think this would be a bad move. You don't want to dilute the brand image that they have worked so hard to create.

Randy
Why would a Caddy coupe dilute the brand image?
Old 01-16-2006, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z

I like the idea of a quad coupe G8. It could ride on the SWB design, but still have the room to hold 5 people.
From what I understand that quad coupe proposal is swoopier than the current 2 door GTO.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:12 PM

god help gm if they try any Quad coupe on the GTo/Firebird nameplates.

Quick Reply: Lutz, Camaro and global RWD....