2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Local dealer experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 10:29 AM

Local dealer experience

i stopped by two local dealers a couple months ago to inquire about the camaro. one said MSRP the other said over so my choice was made.

well i called the MSRP dealer this morning to see where they were on thier pre orders. If I ordered today would I still be part of their "first allotment". he told me he had no idea how many he would get, that only 30% of the cars will be SS's and he thinks this summer he wouldn't be surprised if he had 30-40 camaros on the lot (I am unsure now if he meant v6's, SS's or a mix). I could be wrong but aren't all of those statements false? Don't dealers have a certain number they can order for right now? I don't think there is any production break down v6 vs. SS yet, right? Also I had a feeling there would not be a surplus of camaros on dealer lots this summer, but i guess that is yet to be determined.

He also said $1000 NON refundable deposit to order. when i mentioned other dealers are taking $500 refundable he said you are either a player or you're not...I don't want your dream car sitting on my lot after you decide you don't want it (well my dream car is a black manual SS...not exactly the hardest to sell off the lot). I felt like he was trying to bully me. I plan to buy I just don't want to lose $1000 if something were to happen before I get my car like say I lose my job!

sorry for the long email, but I may stop in this weekend and see how things go in person otherwise I guess I have to search for a dealer around that will order on a refundable deposit for MSRP.

Any input is appreciated! Thanks

Last edited by blackbirdta; 01-29-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:18 PM

Tell them to stuff it and walk away.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by metaldragon
tell them to stuff it and walk away.
+1!
Old 01-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

You shouldn't need to put down any deposit at all, refundable or not. Any dealer that requires one isn't worth your time.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
You shouldn't need to put down any deposit at all, refundable or not. Any dealer that requires one isn't worth your time.
I disagree. This isn't a lot car. It's like anything else you special order- special. I will say that until your order is actually pulled by GM for production you should be able to get your deposit back; after that, the dealer is taking a chance that someone else wants your exact configuration. Granted, a $5000 deposit is absurd- they won't have that kind of exposure if they get "stuck" with your car but, IMO, up to $1000 isn't unreasonable given the circumstances. Keep in mind that theoretically it's supposed to guarantee your spot in line at the dealer too.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:03 AM

i don't have a problem with a deposit that is nonrefundable after the order is pulled, but before that no thanks. i don't really even want to order, but if that's the only way to get one this summer than i will keep looking for a dealer that will take my order with at least a refundable deposit.

i thought i was doing good having found a dealer that would sell at MSRP but i guess the search continues.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:59 AM

My dealer required me to give them a $1000 deposit, but it is fully refundable, even right up until the car is built/delivered/and on their lot. If I decide not to buy it, my deposit will be returned and the car will then become part of their inventory! Also I received MSRP. Now that to me it is a very good deal...unfortunately it took me a couple of weeks of making numerous phone calls and sending e-mails to about a dozen other dealers to find this deal. The other dealers were a joke!
Old 01-30-2009, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by trm0002
I disagree. This isn't a lot car. It's like anything else you special order- special. I will say that until your order is actually pulled by GM for production you should be able to get your deposit back; after that, the dealer is taking a chance that someone else wants your exact configuration. Granted, a $5000 deposit is absurd- they won't have that kind of exposure if they get "stuck" with your car but, IMO, up to $1000 isn't unreasonable given the circumstances. Keep in mind that theoretically it's supposed to guarantee your spot in line at the dealer too.
I'm not saying the situation doesn't warrant a deposit.

I'm saying there are lots of dealers that don't require one, and so nobody has to pay one.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:00 AM

Ok I have called 9 dealers in my area with 3 left to call. I have not found ONE dealer taking a NON refundable deposit. Most are saying MSRP though. If I strike out on the last three I think I might give up on having one while it's still warm this year . I don't want to deal much further out. I see no point in ordering a car not in the initial allotment and receiving it in september or later. I may be looking a year from now in that case. I am not happy at all! Why can't a dealer take a refundable deposit on a damn black manual SS. that car would be gone within a week if I don't follow through
Old 01-30-2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by blackbirdta
Ok I have called 9 dealers in my area with 3 left to call. I have not found ONE dealer taking a NON refundable deposit. Most are saying MSRP though. If I strike out on the last three I think I might give up on having one while it's still warm this year . I don't want to deal much further out. I see no point in ordering a car not in the initial allotment and receiving it in september or later. I may be looking a year from now in that case. I am not happy at all! Why can't a dealer take a refundable deposit on a damn black manual SS. that car would be gone within a week if I don't follow through
Try asking them if they'll make it refundable until the time at which they can actually place the order for it. Right now they have no exposure if you cancel. After they actually place your order with Chevy, that's another story. That situation is fair to both sides.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:07 AM

I was going to order early in order to get the exact car I want....then I figured it wouldn't be all that hard to find a Black on Black 2SS/RS with a manual. It ought to be common enough to find without TOO much problem.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by MetalDragon
I was going to order early in order to get the exact car I want....then I figured it wouldn't be all that hard to find a Black on Black 2SS/RS with a manual. It ought to be common enough to find without TOO much problem.
Just my .02 - yes, it should be a pretty common combo but I wouldn't expect to see it available on dealer lots until October based on Chevy saying they expect to have filled all the pre-orders by around then.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by trm0002
Try asking them if they'll make it refundable until the time at which they can actually place the order for it. Right now they have no exposure if you cancel. After they actually place your order with Chevy, that's another story. That situation is fair to both sides.
I'm not sure that I asked that question to all the dealers, but when I did they were pretty unwilling to budge. maybe if I were to go in and not call it would be different, but right now I can't walk into 12 dealers...maybe once i weed some out i can follow up with a few. thanks for the help

Originally Posted by MetalDragon
I agree that will be a common car and easy to find, but the question is WHEN will it be easy to find. If all the initial allotment cars are spoken for and the next "run" will be delivered around Sept. than I won't be browsing dealer lots until fall for my car

edit: trm beat me to it!
Old 01-30-2009, 08:00 PM

That would be fine for me, anyway. I won't be ready for about 6 months. I was hoping to catch the second round of allotments and order then.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:27 PM

well i went by my first dealer in person today and talked to the same guy (sales manager). he is still saying he doesnt know how many cars he will get and if i order i will have one of the first few he gets (i asked and he said he has 3 orders). he said he plans to keep every other car to sell off the lot.

nearly every other dealer i talked to (14 total) said how many they were allocated. all the dealers that said refundable deposit were sold...go figure. out of 14 dealers the best deal i have going for me right now is MSRP and a $1000 non refundable deposit at this dealer. there is one other dealer that i have called twice to see if they have any of the inital allocation left and they keep saying they will call me back ...they said $500 non refundable.

Last edited by blackbirdta; 01-31-2009 at 04:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Local dealer experience