2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Let's collect parts for a sensible Z/28....

Old 03-23-2009, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
those "body kit " components are not just for looks. most of them are functional pieces. like the dove tail spoiler and the ground effects that are optional. they all provide down force. this would be a must for a car that is planning on being used on a track.
Like that huge spoiler on the ZR1?
Old 03-23-2009, 12:07 PM

i never said it had to be large to be functional. but the zr1 has one that is different from the other corvette models.and im sure it is a functional piece. the dove tail is functional.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:22 PM

There was documentation from Chevy showing that the chin and tail spoilers on the first gen. Camaros made a difference even at normal highway speeds. So it would not be out of line to expect similar results with a fifth gen.
Clyde
Old 03-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Prominent Member

OK.......fine......I'll take the blade spoiler like on the DE model, (because it does have historical reference) but enough with the curb killer chin spoilers....the SS fascia is fine with me.......now gimme' more responsive steering and the rest of my go faster wish list and add Nassau Blue (instead fo that horrible aqua color) and we've got a deal.......
Old 03-23-2009, 04:03 PM

I say LS9, recalibrated shocks/springs, slightly wider wheels (but not taller - dang it, 20" is plenty tall), and a few subtle front lip, rocker panel, rear ducktail spoiler type panels - see ZR1.

It needs to be sleeker and more subtle than the optional ground effects package + wing that we've seen in the current accessory catalog.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:32 PM

Hot Cam
Long Tube headers
Pedders or comperable springs
Lighter weight possibly titaniam or other material around susnesion if feasible.
SS style nose with scoup delete
Blade spoiler
Chin spoiler like the GS but integrated into the nose so it doesnt look like an ad on.
NO SCOUPE!

Done

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 03-23-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:29 PM

Or.............. Bring back the firebird, so we can get a shaker hood
Old 03-23-2009, 10:41 PM
West South Central Moderator

here's a thought that I hadn't seen posted yet, how about shorter diameter wheels? Do those 14" brakes really need 20" wheels? I don't think so. My impala has 12" discs all around and I can fit 15" wheels over them. I betcha a set of forged 18s or 19s would fit over the SS brakes. That would be a great way to save unsprung mass or at least counter the mass gained from wider wheels and tires.

I would like to see the Magnetic shock system on a Z/28. Having user adjustable shocks available seems like a bad idea since there will be people who shouldn't mess with them that do...

3.73s are good.

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Essentially, yes .

Heck, I don't know the actual COST difference for the titanium PARTS, but if it wasn't that much more, throw them in. The point I ALWAYS made was that there is no need to "hand assemble" an engine . I think that's where half the cost of the LS7 came from. Build it on the line with the rest of the Gen-IV V8's (truck engines, LS3's, etc.) and just throw in the parts that make it a 7.0L (427) instead of the 6.2L, 6.0L, 5.3L, etc.

The dry-sump vs. wet-sump could go though. The Z06 will corner MUCH harder than a Camaro, so oil starvation MAY become an issue . I'm sure that's an expensive component, so ditch it. The LS3 makes do without a dry-sump system, and it still cranks out good power .
OK, the problem with mass assembly of Titanium parts is that they have a MUCH higher notch sensitivity than steel. Naturally they cost at least twice at much, even at GM's cost. They also need a special coating to avoid galling.

I'm so-so on the dry sump system...
Old 03-24-2009, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by TTopJohn
I say LS9, recalibrated shocks/springs, slightly wider wheels (but not taller - dang it, 20" is plenty tall), and a few subtle front lip, rocker panel, rear ducktail spoiler type panels - see ZR1.

It needs to be sleeker and more subtle than the optional ground effects package + wing that we've seen in the current accessory catalog.
i didnt say the ground effects that we have seen that are offered on the ss and rs but i think it need something subtle liek the zr1 has up front.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
here's a thought that I hadn't seen posted yet, how about shorter diameter wheels? Do those 14" brakes really need 20" wheels? I don't think so. My impala has 12" discs all around and I can fit 15" wheels over them. I betcha a set of forged 18s or 19s would fit over the SS brakes. That would be a great way to save unsprung mass or at least counter the mass gained from wider wheels and tires.

I would like to see the Magnetic shock system on a Z/28. Having user adjustable shocks available seems like a bad idea since there will be people who shouldn't mess with them that do...

3.73s are good.

OK, the problem with mass assembly of Titanium parts is that they have a MUCH higher notch sensitivity than steel. Naturally they cost at least twice at much, even at GM's cost. They also need a special coating to avoid galling.

I'm so-so on the dry sump system...
actually it does need the 20" wheels to fit over the 14" rotors. your forgetting the calipers are on top of that rotor . sticking upa few inches over the rotor. they have alreadt told us they had to be 20" wheels to fit over them. hey get used to it, the big wheels are in. look at the vette. its even sporting a pair of 20"ers on the rear of the zr1.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
actually it does need the 20" wheels to fit over the 14" rotors. your forgetting the calipers are on top of that rotor . sticking upa few inches over the rotor. they have alreadt told us they had to be 20" wheels to fit over them. hey get used to it, the big wheels are in. look at the vette. its even sporting a pair of 20"ers on the rear of the zr1.
Not true. There are some 18's that will fit over those big brakes. Even the Z06 with it's giant 14" rotors and 6-piston calipers came with 18's on the front, and 19's on the rear .

The Brembos on the Camaro look awfully similar to the Brembos on the CTS-V . There are guys putting those brakes on their 4th-gens underneath 18" wheels .

The 20's are blatent over-kill. I'm sure people will be happy paying ~$500 per tire when they need new tires .
Old 03-24-2009, 09:22 AM

500 per tire? where are you buying your tires at? thats alot more than ive seen them for. as far as the wheels being too large for some peole liking. it is proportioned perfectly to the car. the car has such big fender wells that they would have to make the gap smaller to make anything else look right. i dont think the 18 and 19" wheels that come on the v6 look right for the car. the 20" have the perfect look to it. and like i have said before 20" wheels and up are some times even lighter than the smaller wheels. in this case i dont know. i havent gotten weights on the 18 and 19 wheels. i really dont care about the smaller wheels. as far as them being over kill, no, not really. it fits the car perfectly. i think the brembos on the cts-v are 6 piston. at least up front
Old 03-24-2009, 09:28 AM

are the pirellis on the car thep zero rosso? if so i can get them for 350 a tire for the rear. or if you dont want to stick with the pirelli you can go with the NITTO INVO and those are about 350 for the fronts and about 500 for the rear.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
The dry-sump vs. wet-sump could go though. The Z06 will corner MUCH harder than a Camaro, so oil starvation MAY become an issue . I'm sure that's an expensive component, so ditch it. The LS3 makes do without a dry-sump system, and it still cranks out good power .
Yep, dry sump only buys you 1-3 hp -- not really worthwhile as a power mod. Its real value is in its ability to retain good oil pressure during sustained high-G turns.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:29 AM

are the pirellis on the car thep zero rosso? if so i can get them for 350 a tire for the rear. or if you dont want to stick with the pirelli you can go with the NITTO INVO and those are about 350 for the front set and about 500 for the rear set.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Let's collect parts for a sensible Z/28....