2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the last time.. it doesn't look like a Mustang !

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 09:10 AM

Re: For the last time.. it doesn't look like a Mustang !

Originally Posted by gmanss
Lets say they both looke like mustangs. Which they don't. Which would people buy?
The one thats priced lower and has more "cool" options on the base package
Old 01-10-2006, 09:17 AM

Do a side-by-side and front comparo and I think you'll see more in common with the Challenger.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:30 AM

Not that it looks like a mustang to me, but someone out there might buy a camaro because it looks like a mustang to them
Old 01-10-2006, 09:37 AM

Its a pony car, so its gonna have the same general shape. Put a 1st gen Camaro next to a late 60's stang and you'll see the same thing. Same with the Fox bodys and third gens. Same general shape. Main thing I like is the Camaro concept looks lower and sleeker while still retaining the pony car shape.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by SFireGT98
Put a 1st gen Camaro next to a late 60's stang and you'll see the same thing. Same with the Fox bodys and third gens.

Woah! You think a Fox Mustang has the same basic shape as a third gen? The two could not be any more different in the history of both vehicles.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:52 AM

Personally, I think the new Mustang and the Camaro concept look much more similar than I was expecting. However, the Camaro is the clear styling winner of the two in my opinion.

By the way, the first words out of a collegues mouth when he saw the Camaro concept was, "It looks like a Mustang". He's not a car guy at all. To be honest, it does look much more like a Mustang that I expected, but only compared to the newest model Mustangs, not the classic Mustang.

Either way, the car is very, very cool looking.

Dan
Old 01-10-2006, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Jeff Z28
The Camaro concept looks less like a first generation Camaro than a 2005 Mustang looks like a first generation Mustang, IMO. I would imagine that most people would agree with this.

I agree with IZ28 that the arguement is more that it is RETRO-ish in design.

Also, Neil and Jawz present a valid point that the less educated car people are saying it looks like a Mustang. 1 of every 2 people I show this concept to are saying that.

Does the current Camaro concept look like a Mustang to me?

Absolutely not.

Cheers,

Jeff
Had two 4th Gen drivers at work yesterday say it looked like a Stang and then they wrinkled up their noses.

So go figure.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by SFireGT98
Its a pony car, so its gonna have the same general shape. Put a 1st gen Camaro next to a late 60's stang and you'll see the same thing. Same with the Fox bodys and third gens. Same general shape. Main thing I like is the Camaro concept looks lower and sleeker while still retaining the pony car shape.
I agree here. The same people who will look at the new Camaro and say "It looks like a Mustang" will look at a 69 Camaro and say it looks like a 69 Mustang. They are cars in the same class, so yes, they have a lot of similarity, much like a 1964 Galaxie and a 1964 Impala look similar and a 2006 Accord and 2006 Camry look similar. I mean, we want our ponycars to look like ponycars, don't we?
Old 01-10-2006, 10:07 AM

I know this, judging by the greenhouse, the Camaro has more rear head room for back seat passengers. Thats my biggest beef with the current mustang now, I have to bend over to ride in the backseat of one.

Which is why I'll never ride in one again unless I can sit up front lol
Old 01-10-2006, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Omegalock
Had two 4th Gen drivers at work yesterday say it looked like a Stang and then they wrinkled up their noses.

So go figure.
out of curiosity... were they Camaro guys before the 4th Gens? Are they familiar with the 1st Gens? I can't really see any true Camaro guy saying it looked like a 'stang.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
I agree here. The same people who will look at the new Camaro and say "It looks like a Mustang" will look at a 69 Camaro and say it looks like a 69 Mustang. They are cars in the same class, so yes, they have a lot of similarity, much like a 1964 Galaxie and a 1964 Impala look similar and a 2006 Accord and 2006 Camry look similar. I mean, we want our ponycars to look like ponycars, don't we?
WHAT??? a 69 Camaro and a 69 mustang look NOTHING alike. Not one bit. The 70's Dodge's had more in common with the first gen camaros then the mustang of that error did. The shapes were not even similar.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:11 PM

I would not get the two cars confused, nor do I think they really look alike. However I agree that the both use the "classic muscle car" formula and are a similar configuration.

I don't really think the car is all that retro. It could probably pass for a 2068 Camaro more easily than a 1968 one.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by falchulk
WHAT??? a 69 Camaro and a 69 mustang look NOTHING alike. Not one bit. The 70's Dodge's had more in common with the first gen camaros then the mustang of that error did. The shapes were not even similar.
I disagree from the standpoint of the point I'm trying to make. I'm not saying one is a carbon copy of the other, but I do think that to the average non-enthusiast, they can look as much alike as the new Camaro and Mustang do. Round headlights? Check. Deep set blackout grille? Check. Long hood/short deck? Check. Side scoops? Check.

At least around here, many of the same people who will look at the new Camaro and say "It looks like a Mustang" will look at a 69 Camaro and say it looks like a 69 Mustang. I had several coworkers say "That Camaro concept looks like the new Mustang." Shown the above pictures, they say "oh, those look a lot alike too."

I'm not saying that is MY opinion, as I don't think that the new Camaro looks much like the new Mustang other than the traditional traits that make it look like a ponycar.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:17 PM

That 'error'?
Old 01-10-2006, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
I disagree from the standpoint of the point I'm trying to make. I'm not saying one is a carbon copy of the other, but I do think that to the average non-enthusiast, they can look as much alike as the new Camaro and Mustang do. Round headlights? Check. Deep set blackout grille? Check. Long hood/short deck? Check. Side scoops? Check.

At least around here, many of the same people who will look at the new Camaro and say "It looks like a Mustang" will look at a 69 Camaro and say it looks like a 69 Mustang. I had several coworkers say "That Camaro concept looks like the new Mustang." Shown the above pictures, they say "oh, those look a lot alike too."

I'm not saying that is MY opinion, as I don't think that the new Camaro looks much like the new Mustang other than the traditional traits that make it look like a ponycar.
10 points for this man!

Quick Reply: For the last time.. it doesn't look like a Mustang !