2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just swap the LS7 badges for Z28's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
At least a more "streetable" version of the GS concept, but I agready wholeheartedly.

As GMPP already has a crate engine of the hot cam version of the LS3 (LS376/480), to get there would take very little investment on GMs part. But perhaps they are waiting for the aftermarket to do this for them, so they don't have to pay for the development costs on bigger sway bars, brakes, shocks, etc.

How expensive can it be to develop Z/28 badges for the 5th gen?
The cost of recert'ing a new 6.2 liter engine for a larger cam, an engine that would be unique to a low profit, niche car, durring a time where GM has no money, and is focusing on CAFE numbers down the road seems a bit of a daunting task. This cammed 6.2 would also mean it would have to pass emissions, and maintain civil gas milage ratings.
As far as development costs, if GM saw the forest from the trees, they would have made the Sigma and Zeta platforms use the same hub assembly, or at least the bolt pattern, so that performance parts could be swapable, such as the CTS-V's brake system. Therefor development costs would be cut instead of spending a ton of money on two different brake packages. I wonder if Holden has any factory brake packages for the Commodore that would be larger then the Camaro SS's? I dont think it does though..arg. Even more reason that Zeta and Sigma should share brake compontents.

What I think we will get for a Z28? Being realistic, taking in acount that Camaro is a niche car, made in a plant all by itself, made by a company that is treading water with money in which most of the funds are being poured into Volt development, I think we will get a SS +1.
Lets look at what we get with the SS. Its a hell of a package. It packs the same equipment a 40k SRT8 Challenger does for 10k LESS!! And you give up NOTHING!!
But we can use the SRT8's price as a limit for our Z28 model, a model that would dig salt into the wound that Camaro is the best performance bang for the buck on every level.
Starting with weight, GM could cut 200lbs off the car easy IMO. It would be a sacrafice on a SS model, but a Z28 model with its racing heritage, people would most likely be aceptable of removal of sound proofing. I would also look towards the GS race car as the test bed of the Z28. 10k price gap gives you plenty of room to ligten some things up. I would think that MAYBE there would be a 10-15 lbs drop going from Camaro's aluminum hood to carbon fiber, so I think that it would be easier if more pannels were made of aluminum then CF.
I wouldnt cut down ammenities too much, but I would give the driver performance-oriented equipment.
As for performance, I think that a slightly larger cam, better exhaust, and a retune could squeek out another 40-50hp. Now you have a 460-470hp engine. The power upgrade doesnt max out the chassis, but doesnt mean that GM engineers would need to increase mass to strengthen the chassis for it. Revised suspension would be a must. Perhaps bring in Bilstein and develop a revised suspension. MRC system would be way to expensive for a car like this, even with the 10k price gap. It would eat up a huge part of that gap. It sure would give the Camaro an advanatage, but at such a high cost, a proper set up suspension should do just fine.
We will have to wait on braking ability, but something tells me that the SS's 4 pistion, 14+ inch rotor system is not going to feel like a third gens disk/drum set up. I would revise braking system, and perhaps have a two-piece rotor set up to cut down on reciprecating mass as well as overall weight. Another 5lbs a rotor perhaps?
Short throw hurst shifter standard, with 6spd auto availble with NO AFM, which means a big hit in MPG probably for the auto. That could mean 6spd manual only...that could hurt sales.
Basic targets for Z28
HP: 450hp
Weight: 3750lbs aka weight of a V6 car
Performance target: M3

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
does gmpp have an aggressive cam for the camaro, or will they offer one, that we can have put in at the dealership and still be covered under the factory warranty? if so what kind of power numbers would we be looking at? and does anyone know the price in comparance to another aftermarket company?
GMPP has had a LS3 hot cam kit for a while for Gen IV's. Now, as far as having a dealer install it and warranty it, that will depend on dealer. Im not sure of 50 state legallity of it as it could be off road only, but it does exist.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:02 AM

i dont need 50 state legal. i just need 1!
and you dont need to do any other changes to the motor to get it running right? tunning im sure.
what kind of power numbers will it achieve?

Last edited by 2010_5thgen; 11-07-2008 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
i dont need 50 state legal. i just need 1!
and you dont need to do any other changes to the motor to get it running right? tunning im sure.
what kind of power numbers will it achieve?
Obviously you want to do it aftermarket.
For GM to do it, it requires a bit more then throwing a few hot cams in a few LS3's.

As far as power numbers, I have seen 30hp gains from cam and tune.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:20 PM

so it would still be under warranty if i buy the cam and had it installed somewhere else?