2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just saw advance screening of Transformers. Quick thoughts within.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 09:45 PM

Red face Just saw advance screening of Transformers. Quick thoughts within.

No spoilers so don't worry.

This is the movie of the summer. You were probably disappointed by Spiderman & Pirates like I was, but believe me this time you will leave the theater happy. ILM have really outdone themselves. "Blown away" is the only term I can think of to describe the visuals.

Camaro fans will not be disappointed. The concept is the star of the movie and steals every scene. The Decipticon Mustang, while sweet, didn't really grab the audience. But the first sight of the Camaro and the entire theater went berserk.

GM has not had marketing gold like this since Smokey & the Bandit, and if the audience reaction was any indication this car is going to be successful beyond just about everyone's expectations. Same thing for the movie. It was of course left open for a sequel which is looking pretty likely to me, though they'll obviously have to come up with a fresh crop of Decepticons.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dest98
GM has not had marketing gold like this since Smokey & the Bandit, and if the audience reaction was any indication this car is going to be successful beyond just about everyone's expectations.
Damn shame the car won't be on sale for over a year though. The movie will have been out on DVD for a while before you can even order a marked up first kid on your block car.

Don't get me wrong, the movie definitely has that kind of potential as marketing gold, except it's the only place the vast majority of the public wil ever see the car, i.e. there's nothing to maintain the buzz.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:55 AM

Don't worry the car is not out yet as I too have expected this movie to take off and do as much good for GM as Sokey and the Bandit did for the Trans Am.

I expect GM to start the marketing machine up with the start of theis movie with a little more info on the Camaro right up till production time.

I expect things to pop up in print and Chevy Nation. Com.

Also don't forget this movie will lead to PArt 2 and 3. Lets just hope the movies are better than Bandit 2-3.

Folks this could be the next near Star Wars Icon movie and GM may have a marketing blitz on their hands. It hist the 35 and under crowd right down to 5 years old and what better marketing target could you have for a performance coupe.

Glad to hear the movie is all I was hoping for now lets see what happens.

Thak God they did not get asked to be in Die Hard 4.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:52 AM

I didn't think I could want that car anymore before I saw the movie last night. I now have that same anxious, can't wait feeling as when I first saw the concept.

GM have better given the Chevy dealers a real good statement to give to potential Camaro buyers. There are going to be a ton of people that are going straight from the theater to the dealership just to be disappointed they can't buy the car for another year and a half. If the dealers are still giving out the same mis-information that have been, there is going to be nothing but confusion and anger towards the new Camaro.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:59 AM

Two sequels have already been green-lighted. The movie's not even out yet, and they're already planning to have two more movies.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:21 AM

Dude, your "yawning" smiley in the thread title worried me...don't do that!!
Old 06-29-2007, 01:41 PM

I also caught an advanced screening last night. This movie is jaw-dropping. It's exactly what the hype promised- tons of action, destruction, eye-candy galore. I have to admit the Saleen Mustang was pretty hot, but when Bumblebee took on the form of the new Camaro, the theater erupted. I've never been to a movie with such a them-park-ride atmosphere. People were shouting, screaming, laughing, wincing, ducking, flailing about. I left the theater having a geek-gasm and trying to figure out how to come up with the money for a deposit!
Old 06-29-2007, 02:40 PM

just a quick question i thought of when reading another thread...

the wheels and brake rotors are obviously fake hub caps on the Bumblebee prop camaro we've seen in pictures.. is this noticeable in the movie at all? i hope not cause it might be distracting for me

Last edited by FS3800; 06-29-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by FS3800
just a quick question i thought of when reading another thread...

the wheels and brake rotors are obviously fake hub caps on the Bumblebee prop camaro we've seen in pictures.. is this noticeable in the movie at all? i hope not cause it might be distracting for me
Been on movie sets before. You'd be surprized on how things that look cheezy in person look realistic on celluloid.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Been on movie sets before. You'd be surprized on how things that look cheezy in person look realistic on celluloid.
This is so true. Two weeks ago I saw the set for National Treasure 2 and things on the set just don't look the same as they do on screen.

The Camaro should look fine on screen. GM was on hand at the movie set to make sure they were happy so we would be happy. Also to make sure they did not mess up the cars!
Old 06-29-2007, 09:29 PM

I droped a line on the GM blog advising them the adds they are using tying in to the Transformers movie are all wrong. I see Cobalts, Lucernes, and GMC Envoys transforming....... uh, right.

GM PR has never been very intelligent. The opportunity here to tie the Camaro and Transformers into "GM brand" promotion is being left out in the cold in lieu of Lucernes and Envoys. Rather vomit inducing. I loved Transformers when I was a kid. I played with my (now collectible) Transformer toys all the time...... if one of them was a Buick LeSabre, I'd have laughed even as an 8 year old. And it would have probably been one of the first ones to fall out of my bedroom window on to the driveway or something.

Fbodfather, could you consult your PR dept. and tell them their commercials are really weak? It's obvious GM has the rights to promote the film in exchange for Sony pictures rights to use the Camaro concept in the film, and they aren't even using Corvettes or an STS-V in their adds.

Part of what made Transformers cool was that they were cool cars and trucks to begin with.

Last edited by fastball; 06-29-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:06 PM

Old 06-30-2007, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by gr8fl red!
Unless I'm missing the joke, thats 136 1 in binary code.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by fastball
Part of what made Transformers cool was that they were cool cars and trucks to begin with.
optimus prime himself was a freightliner flat nose truck.. hardly a cool truck
bumblebee a volkswagon beetle?
ironhide was a nissan van :rofl:
ratchet was the same nissan van in ambulance form

megatron a lowly walther p38
soundwave a cassete player :rofl:
Old 06-30-2007, 12:14 PM

My buddy won tickets to this movie by being the 9th caller on our local radio station so we'll get to see it Monday night at 8pm the day before it is officially released...I'm so frickin' excited!

I can't wait to see the new Camaro on screen ....and eventually drive my own!

Quick Reply: Just saw advance screening of Transformers. Quick thoughts within.