2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jay Leno Edition Camaro Concept Vid ...Z28 V6TT proposal debate in better detail

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 01:42 PM

Jay Leno Edition Camaro Concept Vid ...Z28 V6TT proposal debate in better detail

Found a video (link to it) on JayLenosGarage.com that came out this morning on the front page about the Jay Leno Edition V6 Camaro that debuted at the 2009 SEMA Show. Jay and Ed Wilburn talk about the V6 Twin Turbo Camaro in amazing detail and take it out for a test drive to show exactly what a twin turbo V6 engine can provide. It's an amazing 15 minute video to watch to help the civil debate that is occuring about making the possible Z28 Camaro a V6TT. In my opinion, I find it very interesting that this video pops up around now and the many references of how this car should become the new Z28.

I for one would be all for a V6 Twin Turbo Camaro to be dubbed the new Z28. We already have a V8 that is supercharged so why not tap into the V6 potential and utilize that for performance. It definitely would tap into a market and have an edge over Ford and it's mustang by creating a high performance racer but with a great fuel economy. If the engine can get in range to around 430-450hp with the twin turbo and proper suspension, I think that a V6 Z28 would not only be a winner financially but also revolutionary. Heck, if Chevrolet wanted to compete with the Laguna Seca Boss, my input would be to remove the rear seats and as much unneeded weight and accessories such as making the entire hood, spoiler front lip spoiler all carbon fiber and brand it as a Z28 Grand Am for the currently running Grand Am Competition. Check the video out.

Last edited by Char1ieone; 02-20-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:58 PM

Re: Jay Leno Edition Camaro Concept Vid ...Z28 V6TT proposal debate in better detail

A V6 does not need to be anywhere near a Z28, turbo or not...
Old 02-20-2012, 07:21 PM

Re: Jay Leno Edition Camaro Concept Vid ...Z28 V6TT proposal debate in better detail

It would really make no sense to have a turbo V6 making just about the same power as the stock V8.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:49 PM

Gotta love the gear head side of Jay Leno.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:06 PM

stupid idea...

Sure maybe make it its own model, but not a z28...

420 HP and not even amount of torque, a stock v8 can make that with more torque easily....

plus the regular consumer wouldnt know how to maintain a turbo, let alone two!
Old 02-21-2012, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Slappy3243
It would really make no sense to have a turbo V6 making just about the same power as the stock V8.
It would if it got a couple mpg better, plus a boosted 6 is gonna make more torque than a NA V8 across the rpm range. Just see the F150 ecoboost vs the 5.0 motor, ecoboost is faster and tows better while getting better gas mileage. I wouldn't mind a twin turbo V6 Z28. Plus there is scuttlebutt that GM is watching the sales of the ecoboost in the F150 and thinking about it themselves for the truck market, not sure if that is true just what I read.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:07 AM

As it's own model... Why not?

does it need to wear a Z28 badge... NO!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:27 AM

I'd actually be open to this, if it were executed properly. The original Z/28 had a relatively small V8 that made power by spinning quickly.

If they could make a twin turbo version of the 3.6L with DI in the ~450 hp range while spinning to 7000-7500 rpm AND make the car lighter overall, it could be cool as hell.

HOWEVER, I suspect a 3.6L with two turbos and related plumbing wouldn't save any weight (and might tip the distribution slightly farther forward) over a naturally aspirated small block.

It would be VERY cool to see a Boss-style V8 makeover with beefed up internals allowing the 6.2L (or whatever) to spin to LS7-ish speeds (and breathe at those speeds).
Old 02-21-2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by jcamere94z28
As it's own model... Why not?

does it need to wear a Z28 badge... NO!
It's a cool car, and I would love to see it come out. Doesn't mean they should name it Z/28.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by STOCK1SC
It would if it got a couple mpg better, plus a boosted 6 is gonna make more torque than a NA V8 across the rpm range. Just see the F150 ecoboost vs the 5.0 motor, ecoboost is faster and tows better while getting better gas mileage. I wouldn't mind a twin turbo V6 Z28. Plus there is scuttlebutt that GM is watching the sales of the ecoboost in the F150 and thinking about it themselves for the truck market, not sure if that is true just what I read.
Because it would make the V8 in the Camaro obsolete, unless they bumped up the HP on the V8.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:47 PM

There has been talk about a production version of the TTV6 becoming the next Z28 since the Leno concept's debut at SEMA in 2009.

FWIW, I would think a production 1LE (SS + ZL1 suspension) is far more likely at this point in time.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:47 PM

I still like my answer, a regular consumer knows nothing about turbos, or maintaining one, and im sure GM wouldnt want to put a warranty on a turbo that could fail, so they would have to get some nice turbos, times two.

plus, doesnt a v6 weigh just a little less then a v8 Aluminum vs aluminum and what not, so the added weight of turbos, piping, intercooler?, etc would equal out.

Also, from my experience. A ls1 can get 30+ mpg, and ive seen some v6 engines in heavier cars not even reach 30.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by greenformula94
I still like my answer, a regular consumer knows nothing about turbos, or maintaining one, and im sure GM wouldnt want to put a warranty on a turbo that could fail, so they would have to get some nice turbos, times two.

plus, doesnt a v6 weigh just a little less then a v8 Aluminum vs aluminum and what not, so the added weight of turbos, piping, intercooler?, etc would equal out.

Also, from my experience. A ls1 can get 30+ mpg, and ive seen some v6 engines in heavier cars not even reach 30.
Ford has shown you don't need any extra caution or maintenance with twin turbos, they beat the hell out of the ecoboost in front of the world to show they are reliable and no more issue than a NA motor plus they tow better than the NA V8 and can almost match the 6.2. I doubt the twin turbo 6 would shave much weight but it would be able to spin higher and can make more power over the entire rpm range especially down low. As for the LS1's getting 30 they were also in cars that weighed around 500-600lb's less which makes it easier. The days of having to idle your turbo car for 5-10 minutes after driving it to cool down the turbos is over so warranty is not an issue. My Cobalt is always having issues but so far about the only issues I haven't had are engine turbo related. Knock on wood.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:37 PM

Podcast listeners know my feelings on this. I called it in a couple of weeks ago (my forum time has been limited lately). Anyway, I'm all for a beefed up version of the 6-cylinder with either turbos or a blower. I'm not sure which pressure inducer I would prefer, but I have leaned towards the blower. I'd really like to see some drivetrain improvements (better brakes, HP suspension parts, etc) in the 6.

Like it or not, the V6 is the performance motor of the future. I'm an old school kind of guy and understand where folks are coming from in the negative comments, in support of the V8. That said, i recommend an open mind here. Remember, the original Z/28 was a high-winding, race oriented street car. The last edition (of which i own two) bears little resemblance to the specs of the 67-69 editions. Those early cars were not the "top-dogs" of the Camaro fleet. They were something else, entirely. The V6 platform is the perfect foundation for a modern Z/28 for the 21st century.

Change -- embrace it!
Old 02-21-2012, 08:17 PM

I want a lightweight, high reving V8 Z28 as much as anyone... but maybe its time for Chevy to do something not so expected?

Quick Reply: Jay Leno Edition Camaro Concept Vid ...Z28 V6TT proposal debate in better detail