2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

January 9th - things are going to get messy!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 08:18 PM

Re: January 9th - things are going to get messy!

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I like the idea of a No Newbies Allowed area. You can't post unless your post count is higher than 100. Or some other reasonable number.

NO!! lol

EDIT: as long as you can lurk I'm fine
Old 01-03-2006, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by stars1010
And that’s why Jason I’m going to try my hardest to focus my annoyances into a positive vibe and educate instead of humiliate

I am a man of humor though, so I’m not quitting the Newbie execution squad till next week.

i'm gonna try being as cool to the n00bs as everyone was to me when i got here.......

and being a man of humor myself....i say we just shorten it to N.E.S.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:31 PM

You know what's funny, my VERY FIRST POST on cz28.com was, well, a real good newbie question for sure .....

..... "LT1 vs LS1?"

Oh yeah, I was wet behind the ears!!

Luckily / surprisingly, I didn't get scolded too badly about the whole thing! Thanks guys!
Old 01-03-2006, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
With all due respect and appreciation...but this has been a long time coming...

The ONLY reason some of you feel you have the right to post about the influx of newbies is because you are lucky enough to already know something that they don't. In the grand scheme of things, you are of very few.

Don't pretend that you know everything about this car, because you most certainly don't. No one here does, because this is a brand new car that isn't even on the streets yet. Don't think for a second that there will not be significant changes to the production version. The "high and mightly" vibe that I am picking up does not sit well with me, and is slightly embarrasing. Frankly, it is not welcome. Look at the date you joined under your user name and ask yourself if you knew as much then as you do now. Odds are, you didn't.

Newbies are always welcome to this site, elitist snobs are not. This is not that kind of site. Everyone has to start somewhere, and that included you who is reading this post.

Starting soon and lasting for the next few years and beyond, you will see this explode. We have been planning this for a LONG time and we will not allow everything to be ruined by anyone who thinks that they should be the only ones to know anything about it.

In the grand scheme of things, the more informed a person is about this car, the more they are apt to be buying it. The more cars purchased, the more they will be built in the years to come. I strongly encourage everyone to promote a healthy future of this car by setting a good example. We don't want to have to limit access to this forum due to people not being respectful and decent to those who come here to learn.

So, if you care about the future of this car and this community that you belong to, stop to consider a few things before ripping someone down for asking the same question that you yourself might have asked not long ago.

Again, with all due respect and appreciation...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello frcefed98!

It appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just join a conversation in any one of our forums?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
REASON

I've been an F body enthusiast for a long time, and have been watching the progress of the coming release of the new Camaro for a long time. My post count isn't very high so i'd likely be branded a "newbie" even though I have tons of experience with both LT1's and LS1 Fbodys as well as 1st Gens.

So I lurk, no reason to post if I'll get the "newbie execution squad" chasing me down if I post up a dislike about the new design....even though I love everything that I saw in the pics that were posted....so back off

Keep up the great work Jason. I'm like the rest of us F body guys, can't wait until its back. Been too long thats for sure.
J
Old 01-03-2006, 10:49 PM

This will be time for "newbies" to enjoy too. If the car is to do well we're going to need a lot of them.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:00 PM

I'm all for fresh blood. Let's face it, we've got 2 or 3 dozen regulars here, and we all pretty much know where we all stand from wheel diameters to politics...and that's all good, but some fresh perspectives are good too.

Yeah, we may get some numbskulls, but they usually go away....and those with something meaningful to say come to the forefront.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:14 AM

Okay NES, what you don't realize is that for all of the League of Lurkers (my new group to combat NES), post count has no bearing on "noobness". For example, I've been reading the future vehicles forum for what seems like forever (ok, it hasn't been more than four years, obviously) but don't feel the need to post, because there is rarely any time when I have a question that can't be answered by browsing around a bit. The future vehicles and now 5th gen forums are simply the best place around to get information, and then laugh at the mags that are so far behind. It's kinda sad that the waiting is coming to a close in a certain way- like finishing a good book.

Anyway, the point is, noobness should have everything to do with lack of grammar and unabashed ignorance while blatantly refusing to do a little reading and nothing to do with post count!

Flame On!

Seriously though, I've always appreciated the knowledge base around here, and if someone gets flamed hardcore, they genereally deserve it.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:01 AM

Like most I tend to lurk unless I have something to add to the conversation. With all the smart insiders there not that much I can add but I have vised this form at least twice a day since 2001 unless I was in Iraq or Afghanistan. But I am always willing to give my opinion.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Jason, you make good points. My original thinking was that filtering out the newbies would keep the forum more manageable, but you're right. It probably would keep it more manageable, but at what cost? I wouldn't want my suggestion to contribute to the demise of the Camaro.

For the sake of discussion, though, I'm now thinking that join date would be a better filter than post count. As a few here have pointed out, many lurkers and Loungers have been here for years and don't have a single post.

There was a board I joined a while back which required you to post a Hello topic in a particular forum before you were allowed to post anywhere else. I thought that was a nice touch. Encouraging people to introduce themselves seems like a great idea to me, and it might have the effect I was looking for in the first place without doing the damage Jason fears.

Just putting ideas out there. I don't want a reputation as a noob-****, because by most measures, I'm a noob here myself (going on six months, woo!).
Old 01-04-2006, 07:39 AM

I don't want a reputation as a noob-****, because by most measures, I'm a noob here myself (going on six months, woo!).
Well, there's that and the fact that your goose-step needs work.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Admin Emeritus

Arrow Re: January 9th - things are going to get messy!

For the record, I don't see how it is fair to make people jump through hoops to be a part of things here.

It is probably not going to be nearly as bad as you guys think. And if it starts to head in that direction, you guys have a very big influence on if it gets worse or better. Refer to my previous post.

Let's not make it a big deal until it becomes a big deal, cool?
Old 01-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PacerX
Well, there's that and the fact that your goose-step needs work.
I assume that, by "goose-step", you mean that I admitted that I was wrong and changed my opinion.

I've never understood that. If someone stands by their opinion, people accuse them of never admitting when they're wrong. But if they change their opinion based on new information, then people accuse them of "waffling", "goose-stepping", "flip-flopping", or whatever.

Jason presented a perspective I hadn't seen before. I agree with him. I said so.

No goose step there. I was wrong, someone pointed it out, I admitted it, and that's that.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:35 AM

I'm kind of a newb here but I've browsed this site for a long time. I normally post on LS2.com and have over 10k posts there (I know - post *****), but the atmosphere about the upcoming Camaro is better here and I like it! I doubt there is any other place on the web to find the latest info on the Camaro.

Also, be easy on the newbs. Not all of us type in caps at a 2nd grade level and ask stupid questions like, "Is teh Camero gunna haev a frunt weel drive turbo 4 sillinder awpshun?"
Old 01-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Admin Emeritus

I assume that, by "goose-step", you mean that I admitted that I was wrong and changed my opinion.
"Goose stepping" is usually a reference to what the ***** did. It is the name of their style of marching.

I think it was meant as reference to the "noob-****" remark, continuing the play on it.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:45 AM

No goose step there. I was wrong, someone pointed it out, I admitted it, and that's that.
"Goose-stepping" is a description of the gait used by German soldiers (particularly SS troops... hmmm.... "SS"....) while marching in formation, like a parade... generally through some town that the French just surrendered without firing a shot in return.

One could not be a good Noob-**** without knowing how to goose-step, and your goose step "needs work".

Get it?

Now...

I'm going to be gentle here...

Your hyper-sensitivity is pointed out by the fact that you were ignorant of the background of the comment I made (goose-step) and AUTOMATICALLY assumed I was taking a shot at you.

So, I now therefore sentence you to reading some history books for the next week so my scintillating wit and the humor behind it are no longer lost on you.

Last edited by PacerX; 01-04-2006 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply: January 9th - things are going to get messy!