2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An important note from our friend Scott "The FBodfather" Settlemire

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Disciple

Scott, i know you will be awesome at whatever you do. i hope the new position turns out to be another great step for ya
Old 10-12-2010, 11:31 AM

It's a two-way street, my friend- the Camaro buoyed you up and cheered you, yet I think that a large part of the success it enjoyed was because of your cheerful guidance and helpful hand at the rudder. You helped to make the car the success it has been, and, for that, I truly thank you. The 5th gen exists in large part due to your inspiration, tireless efforts and passion. It is a tribute to you and your team- God speed in whatever other tasks you choose to take on, and from another Camaro comrade, many thanks-
Old 10-12-2010, 01:44 PM

Scott, you are truly an asset to GM. Your personal attention to fans, big and small, added an amount of humanity to a huge, impersonal corporation. That you would take the time, out of your busy schedule, to actually personally converse with fans, truly helped to "restore the faith."

I wish you the best in your new position. We will miss your updates, attentions, and hints. We will miss your humility and honesty. Hopefully, those in your new team, will appreciate what they have.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:39 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Dear Camaro Comrades -

I thank you from the bottom of my "Chevy Bowtie-shaped heart" for your kind words. Those words have provided what I'd call "salve for the soul"

I will not completely disappear - -one cannot abandon the brand that they love - and I CERTAINLY cannot abandon the ones (.......uhm, that would be YOU.......) .......who mean so much to me.

A couple of clarifications about "Fbodfather".....

It took thousands and thousands of people to bring you the new Camaro - a car of which we're incredibly proud. I was but a part of that proud group -

Yes - you might say I "took the bull by the horns" in the 90s in terms of Camaro - and did everything I could to keep it going up to the point where we had to pull the plug......I was part of a great team that did what we could on a shoe-string budget to keep the car first in terms of handling and overall performance. I'm especially proud that the 4th gen car still shames cars costing several times as much...........

Yes - I would not let the name die within Chevrolet - i kept wearing Camaro shirts and ties and pins -- and I would talk about Camaro and Firebird to anyone who would listen -

--and yes, I stayed on the forums and I travelled to shows and I met with thousands of you and listened to what you wanted in a new Camaro--

(and took back to Sr. Mgmt. the fact that you did, indeed -- DEMAND a new Camaro....)

--and I felt very strongly that we needed 'Camaro Disciples' - a group of enthusiasts that I'm most proud of - (and I think we need disciples for every car and truck line that we build....)

--and I tried to involve as many of you as possible as we unveiled the concept and then took it around the country (..indeed, the world) for you to ponder and give us feedback...........

--and I suppose that it could be successfully argued that I really have no other life OTHER THAN GM and Camaro...........and that's fine with me, by the way - my choice!.....

BUT:

..... I am not the guy that brought the Camaro back - many people did that and I had a part in that.......

As I read thru the posts - it occurs to me that when I'm ready to travel to that 'Great Chevy Showroom in the Sky' - that I'd like to have one or two people say:

".....welll -- Good 'ol what's-his-name' did make a difference...." --

.........perhaps I have made a difference.

And if I have, well - I'll be just as happy as a clam at high tide! (.........that's pretty happy, by the way...)

I still do not know what the new job entails - and I will have a *bit* of a problem changing direction so abruptly - but I will adapt and I suspect that great things still lie ahead.

Please - do not be angry at GM.

I'm not sure why this happened; only that perhaps some bad decisions have been made by others within the walls of GM.

Time will tell.

Meanwhile - we have tens of thousands of employees working hard each day to design, engineer, and build the world's best cars and trucks. Those individuals appreciate your enthusiasm - and rely on your passion for our products.

We have hundreds of thousands of men and women working for our suppliers and dealers -- and they, too, appreciate your enthusiasm and your passion.

Russ and John and Cheryl have made it crystal clear to me that they still want me involved in the Camaro program - and I am both honored and delighted to serve.

(......Cheryl - that CTF convertible? SS/RS please?..........)

So..........I will not be disappearing from the Camaro Boards -

(yeah you're kinda stuck with me......)

and I have NO INTENTION of selling my beloved "Thor" or "Lord Quicksilver" --

I just won't be able to see as many of you as I'd like as I won't be travelling nearly as much.

But as Cuz Tom and Sue have said - you're always welcome to the Henry/Settlemire Homestead each summer when they have their Annual Camaro/Firebird Cruise to Mars...........

God Bless you for the kind words...........I realize how truly blessed I am to have such great friends!

Now - let me go figure how just what the HECK a "Pre-Production Manager" is and what he/she does..............
Old 10-13-2010, 08:05 PM

I'll always cherish days like this, Scott. Best wishes to you as you "find the cheese". Please do say in touch with us and let us know what the future brings.

Regards,

Mudbone
Old 10-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Admin Emeritus

I first met Scott at Camaro Superfest in 1997 (or 1998?). I was a bit scared because Chris and I had release the nearly forgotten "Save the F-Body" project right here on CamaroZ28.Com and I was very afraid that some would think it was making GM look bad.

However, Scott immediately recognized my intentions and we have been close personal friends ever since then and I am happy to say that the Save the F-Body project did indeed help to get us where we are today.

We have been through think and thin since then, I can tell you. When the last 2002 f-body rolled off the assembly line, we met and cried in our beer together, so to speak. I made a blog entry about it here...
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/blog.php?b=54

So that brings me to what is happening here.

Things always change, and sometimes they aren't easy. When the f-body production stopped, it seemed pretty bleak but look back on that then and look where we are now. It all worked out.

So Scott is moving to a new position. Again, it might not easy. However, he is still Scott and he is still our friend. He still will influence the direction of the car with our help. It will all work out.

Good luck, Scott old friend. You have thousands of people behind you, fully convinced that this is just another fork in the road that will take us all to new and better places.

The faith has been kept strong, and will continue to be.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:47 PM

Back in '07 I decided to bring my Camaro Z28 to the show at Carlisle. I entered it to be judged by the American Camaro Association. I won three awards, one was extra special. Scott chose my car as his celebrity pick. I was so happy but, could not thank Scott because he had already left. I asked the ACA guys if they could pass along my thanks, they did and Scott wrote me back. The next year, Scott noticed my car and came up to me and we spoke for a few minutes. What a great guy! A guy GM should appreciate for his passion and dedication. A guy who should be kept close to the customer.....Best of luck to you!
Old 10-15-2010, 03:24 AM

Scott,

You are a really impressive guy, both personally and professionally. We are lucky to have you as Camaro Enthusiasts and fans and GM is extremely lucky to have you translating enthusiasts feedback into product. I truly hope that whatever position you move into that that is part of the position, or that you continue to take the pulse and true desire of most enthusiasts that translates into phenomenal results that I am positive we would not have without you.

My father until I was about 6 years old was a die hard Ford fan his whole life. Growing up all I heard was stories about his 71 429 Big Block Fast Back Mustang that was so big "Air conditioning was not an option and you had to take the tires off to change the spark plugs." I was a huge fan of Mustang and Mustang that started from that. So I was shocked when about 8 years old I told my father one day Id own a Mustang. "No kid of mine will ever own a ford!", was his reply. Turns out he had a court battle with them about his 1980 F100 that amounted to a recall but since his truck that was used for his business was finally sold it did him no good. Hasnt bought one since. So I looked to GM through the years to find my favorite car the 69 Camaro and swore one day Id own one.

I now understand the challenges the engineers faced with the 4th Gen. In early 2002 until I sold it un 2004 working on my 98 3800 V6 with one hand trying to change out spark plugs O2 sensors and other stuff with one hand holding my tool with two fingers barely between the firewall and the block I had no idea. All I knew was this could be better. Granted I didnt have the LS1 which I know was pretty awesome.

You talk about keeping the faith.

-- In 2003, the year after end of production, I picked up a GM card to earn GM bucks for the next gen Camaro once it was not only produced again but done properly.

-- In 2004 I decided hell or high water either GM was going to build my car or I was going to have a 69 Camaro and they were pretty pricey. I had decided I would build my own car and strictly dreaming Id drop an LS2 or 383 in it and figure out how to install a C4 independent rear. When I passed a white 69 camaro on the side of the road with 8500 on it I turned around. It was ok but I wanted one so badly and here was one within my budget that I neglected to realize how much rust was in the rear. So in the spirit of looking before I leaped 8k later I drove it home. A year later I had to sell it, but before I did I walked around it and made a list of what I loved about it. I also made another list as my 98 Camaro was sitting directly behind it about things I would improve. I took that and looked at the M3 which I thought was a beautiful car to see what I thought made it that such as the IRS and the wheels moved forward to the bumper.

So IF CamaroZ28.com didnt do the unofficial list for the upcoming unconfirmed Camaro, AND if you hadnt gone to management showing Customer demand;

-- the GM card I picked up in 2003 would be for a car that did not exist and may not have ever existed.

-- In 2004 and 2005 as I walked around my 69 and 98 camaros at first trying to picture building my 69 into what I wanted with an LS2, C4 rear hoping to make it compete with M3 that turned into trying to picture it slightly modernized as a new production car for a company I didnt work for, would have been for NO reason at all. I would have just been some fool. At least now its debatable. Also it gave me some pride having specifics when alot of people were asking for a 1000hp and to beat Mustang. So thank you personally for saving my pride!! at least now its debatable!

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
Yes - I would not let the name die within Chevrolet - i kept wearing Camaro shirts and ties and pins -- and I would talk about Camaro and Firebird to anyone who would listen -

--and yes, I stayed on the forums and I travelled to shows and I met with thousands of you and listened to what you wanted in a new Camaro--

(and took back to Sr. Mgmt. the fact that you did, indeed -- DEMAND a new Camaro....)

--and I felt very strongly that we needed 'Camaro Disciples' - a group of enthusiasts that I'm most proud of - (and I think we need disciples for every car and truck line that we build....)

--and I tried to involve as many of you as possible as we unveiled the concept and then took it around the country (..indeed, the world) for you to ponder and give us feedback...........

--and I suppose that it could be successfully argued that I really have no other life OTHER THAN GM and Camaro...........and that's fine with me, by the way - my choice!.....

".....welll -- Good 'ol what's-his-name' did make a difference...." --

.........perhaps I have made a difference.

And if I have, well - I'll be just as happy as a clam at high tide! (.........that's pretty happy, by the way...)
Did you make a difference? Are you kidding?

-- If you hadnt gone to Management showing them the demand and extent of the Demand for the Camaro, do you think there would be one?

Trying to put myself in GMs managements shoes and Im making ALOT of assumptions here, if I didn't know the demand, extent of the demand, good press and brand image building potential or the Return on Investment, I would have to be extremely pressed to bring back a nameplate that required the loans the entire company took out be paid back early and having to jump through legal, financial, and company political hoops just to mention a new Camaro.

-- AND IF there was a new Camaro, that SCOTT SETTLEMIER wasnt so involved in taking enthusiast feedback up the chain in may different ways, do you really think it would be anywhere close to as good at it is?

I will give you a hint. no! Let me elaborate...

When the Production Car hit the showrooms (not just for one day until the buyer picked them up) My buddy who asked my advice before buying his 05 Vette let me know there was one at Sport Chevrolet in MD. One day before work I was going to meet him there to check out the SS. I got there early. Just as well, as he probably wouldn't have the patience to watch me drool as I looked it all over. I went inside and there was the 2SS SS. There were no Salesmen around, and I almost forgot I arrived at lunch time. Even better, no hassle. So just as I walked around it, I went from no Salesman to 3 Salesmen walking in through the door. I could tell by they way they talked carried themselves and expected responses that these were salesmen who were used to closing with almost not thinking about it. I opened the door and sat in it as one of the salesmen walked up to me as I was sitting there. He said yeah its nice... Ive heard people mention there is a claustrophobic feeling. Really??? I replied. I was shocked. He said yeah check it out. As I shut the door, I put one hand on the wheel and one on the stick. Hmm I dont notice that. I immediately thought this salesman is either really cocky, self confident, or truely felt the car was closterphobic and was being refreshingly honest. The other two were around back looking at the trunk. One said thats a tiny little opening. Then I thought maybe this car just came in and they were getting a better idea. Finally I got out of the car with the salesman I was talking to still standing there. As I got out, one salesman crawled in the back and the other in the passenger side. I looked at the salesman next to me I was talking to and asked him if he was a salesman. His reply was "Were salesmen yeah... Well were salesmen for Mercedes." With that they all walked out... and one said "Nice car but you cant run a company on one car..."

My buddy finally showed up. We looked around briefly then left for work. What the hell were 3 salesmen from Mercedes doing in a Chevy dealer checking out the Camaro? Then, what probably should have been obvious hit me. Those Mercedes salesmen were checking out their new competition. Of course they weren't trying to sell me the car. They were looking for flaws. Looking for an angle or advantage. Putting diner on the table depended on it. With as much feedback as youve taken Scott and complaints youve resolved in preproduction, the only legit complaint they could come up with was the small trunk opening. Is that your fault? No infact, I immediately remembered meeting you in Carlisle and what you said. You asked how the enthusiast felt about the hatch. You mentioned

"getting the grandfather clock in your 4th gen Camaro moving... because usability is what were really talking about right?"

So whose fault was the only complaint they had or come up with???

Mine/ours as enthusiast right or wrong.

I was adimant about a more rigid body I thought the trunk would give us. I remembered my hatch always dumping water stored the entire length of the hatch over a car I just waxed. I remember the Hatch for whatever reason becoming misaligned and I thought a trunk wouldnt have that issue.

I took that and turned it into a poll because I was adamant about the trunk like many things on my list that I started threads and polls on.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho....php?p=3192185

Scott, you are one of the few people who can put on a resume that you lobbied for, secured managements blessing to bring back a name associated with company wide loans, then refined through enthusiast feedback, and as a result wound up with one of the only two cars if I remember correctly selling decently when the market collapsed. Enthusiasts in the know, know who you are and what you are capable of. That puts you in demand with any management worth their salt. Even should something happen where the company let you go. Most of the competition should already know who you are and your accomplishments are before you walk in that interview or theyre not doing their job. Although I know its unlikely GM would be dumb enough to let you go, the type of value you bring to any company or corporation transcends into just about most of the businesses I can think of. We are lucky to have you and I wish you the best of luck.

I apologize taking so long to post this. I work 12 hour night shift Sun, Mon, and Tue, into Wed morning. I wanted to be careful giving my limited professional and personal opinion especially at work.

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 10-15-2010 at 03:27 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:24 PM

Scott,

Keep the Faith.

-Gordon
Old 10-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Admin Emeritus

We talked about this in CamaroZ28.Com Podcast Episode #267. This was a jam-packed episode, so check it out!
Old 10-19-2010, 12:26 AM
Former Vendor

Say it isn't so! Well, I am glad I had 5-years of getting to know Scott each Memorial Day in Atlanta. He truly has been the face, and moreover the personality of GM. While I have appreciated the GM products, it was just a nameplate until I had the very good fortune of spending time in folding chairs under the Chevrolet tents in many kinds of weather. Sometimes it was so warm I had to have some apple juice to cool off.
Scott was always an ideal representative for GM, and a real pal to everyone he met. While my son is not the biggest car enthusiast, Scott was always willing to have long conversations with him. My wish is that Scott finds just as much happiness and fulfillment in his next adventure at GM, and I hope to be able to make the trip to his family's show in 2011. I am so glad my engine bay was freshly painted when Scott walked by so I could get his signature this Summer! I must say that during his speech at the 2010 F-Body Gathering in Atlanta, Scott did a masterful job sharing his feelings in presenting an award inspired by a father/son combo that were afforded only a few months of ownership of a 2010 before the young son passed away. There were no dry eyes in the room when Scott was done, but as the father expressed, we were all better for the camaraderie of this car.
My best to you Mr. Settlemire.
Russ Carrier
My Settlemire album: http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i122/fenx/Settlemire/