2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If built, not in Canada per Lutz

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 02:23 PM

Re: If built, not in Canada per Lutz

Originally Posted by john stewart
I just hope they build it as a sold my 69 rs last year and would love to buy that concept car no matter where it is built, and for your information Ray most of Canada hates Quebeck so please do not call me a ******. A proud CANADIAN.

Canada's a country?!?! And all this time i just thought they were the redheaded stepchild territory of the U.S.

Just kidding there Eh?!?!

sorry had to lighten it up a bit! sorry to hear about your loss of the 69. We all hope they make this new one for sure.
-steve
Old 01-11-2006, 02:23 PM

I read somewhere that the plant will be in Georgia. Now it started with a D but not Decatur. Dilton Dayton?? maybe they said Dalton.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by meissenation
Take it as a grain of salt, but I've already heard rumors floating that Lutz already gave the green light for the process to begin immediately after the autoshow, and that some people will be travelling immediately after the show to start the process.
Boy,.... that news went out fast!

Bob Lutz didn't give a green light, but it seems that they got the reaction they were looking for. Approval is just a formality. BL gave a hint himself when he said "get your money together".

Where are you now, V8 Slayer????

BTW: a few people asked me a question related to this Sunday, and I gave 3 choices.

BL just rejected one choice (which I think died when GM decided to close one of the plants up there).

The other choice is dependent on a 2011 introduction, which would give the current models a chance to run their course and then have time for remodeling... far too late for an introduction that might very well be much earlier, and lacks the flexibility to begin production at any time.

So, you guys who asked (and to the 1 person who posts here who works there) it's perfectly safe to bet the farm on the remaining choice. In retrospect, it's almost embarassing that I didn't realize this from the begining.

My friend at this plant (you know who you are) you were right!

(Hint: "Washington crossing" )

Last edited by guionM; 01-11-2006 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Prominent Member

Wink Re: If built, not in Canada per Lutz

Originally Posted by guionM
...(Hint: "Washington crossing" )
Delaware....?
Old 01-11-2006, 04:28 PM

willmington? Built along side the solstice/sky..
Old 01-11-2006, 04:33 PM

Boy,.... that news went out fast!

Bob Lutz didn't give a green light, but it seems that they got the reaction they were looking for. Approval is just a formality. BL gave a hint himself when he said "get your money together".

Where are you now, V8 Slayer????

BTW: a few people asked me a question related to this Sunday, and I gave 3 choices.

BL just rejected one choice (which I think died when GM decided to close one of the plants up there).

The other choice is dependent on a 2011 introduction, which would give the current models a chance to run their course and then have time for remodeling... far too late for an introduction that might very well be much earlier, and lacks the flexibility to begin production at any time.

So, you guys who asked (and to the 1 person who posts here who works there) it's perfectly safe to bet the farm on the remaining choice. In retrospect, it's almost embarassing that I didn't realize this from the begining.

Hehe... glad I was there and asked you at the debut on Monday then!!!
Old 01-11-2006, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by falchulk
Yeah, he is an idiot! Gm does not need to sell more then 80000 camaros to make a profit! What a fool to think GM would stop making a car because the sales dropped that low.........wait a minute, thats exactly why they killed it. If the Camaro had been a sales performer then GM would have kept building it. The other circumstances only effected when it rose from the ashes.
Not true at all... even if the car had been a solid performer, it wouldn't have met '03 frontal crash safety regulations. The new regs required more padding on the A-pillar, which would have intruded into the passenger compartment and obstructed the drivers view.

It would have required a complete redesign, and there was simply not enough time to do it. I remember seeing this on the SLP message board, posted by Scott sometime in '02.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by RhinoSS
Not true at all... even if the car had been a solid performer, it wouldn't have met '03 frontal crash safety regulations. The new regs required more padding on the A-pillar, which would have intruded into the passenger compartment and obstructed the drivers view.

It would have required a complete redesign, and there was simply not enough time to do it. I remember seeing this on the SLP message board, posted by Scott sometime in '02.

Scott told us the exact same thing in Atlanta in '04. Car would have required a complete redesign, which could not have been completed soon enough to keep productions up...
Old 01-11-2006, 06:20 PM

Just to sort theses out.

Well this was my guess. Oshawa being the home of Camaro. BL said no to Canada and that rules this out.

I am thinking D-Ham, which was a prominant rumor over a year ago. That would give the current DTS and Lucerne 5 years on the market, both intro'd in 2006, and that fits the current time cycle. The 2011 intro would be likely a RWD/AWD large luxury sedan, think 7 series.

That makes it pretty easy: Willmington Delaware. So the Solstice and Sky will get some bigger brothers with higher production figures to fill up the plant. Although Hudson had previously indicated that 2 new models were due for the plant in the 2007 model year, MY or CY I did not ask. He did also mention that one would be a vert. Does this throw a wrench into the works?

Last edited by 91_z28_4me; 01-11-2006 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:23 PM

As long as my Camaro doesn't come with a funky New England accent. I swear the 4th gen engine said "eh" when you turned off the ignition.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by jbres79
Conisidering that Canada has the #1 and #2 quality rated plants in North America, I am really dissapointed to hear that the Camaro may not be possibly built in Canada. I know that one of the Oshawa plants is closing (I think #2), but this hurts the customer. I only want the highest quality plant to build my Camaro, If the highest quality plant was in the US, than I would want it built there. So i really hope Oshawa gets to build the new Camaro. Do not think of this as "Its an 'American' Muscle car, it should be built in the USA, USA, USA, USA". Think of it as it should be build at the best plant.

just my 2 cents
I honestly don't care where its built. That is of so little significance that it really has zero meaning. I don't care for the anti-Canada rethetoric.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
That makes it pretty easy: Willmington Delaware. So the Solstice and Sky will get some bigger brothers with higher production figures to fill up the plant. Although Hudson had previously indicated that 2 new models were due for the plant in the 2007 model year, MY or CY I did not ask. He did also mention that one would be a vert. Does this throw a wrench into the works?

i remember Hudson saying that on C&G. i think he was talking CY. the real question is, was he talking about the plant setting up for production in CY07 or the cars rolling off the line in 07?
Old 01-11-2006, 07:07 PM

Build the damn thing on the moon for all I care

Although the Oshawa plant would be cool... because I'm about 15 min away. But whatever gets the car to production faster.

Ooo.. that's an interesting question right there. Say building the Camaro in Canada gets the Camaro to production 1-2 years sooner... are you die-hard "built it in the USA" guys willing to make that sacrifice?
Old 01-11-2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by )2overt SS
Build the damn thing on the moon for all I care

Although the Oshawa plant would be cool... because I'm about 15 min away. But whatever gets the car to production faster.

Ooo.. that's an interesting question right there. Say building the Camaro in Canada gets the Camaro to production 1-2 years sooner... are you die-hard "built it in the USA" guys willing to make that sacrifice?
Yep, although I was never a die hard MUST BE BUILT IN THE USA guy. It would be cool but hey whatevere so long as they get the car here.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by fredl11
I read somewhere that the plant will be in Georgia. Now it started with a D but not Decatur. Dilton Dayton?? maybe they said Dalton.
Doraville, GA. Just north of Atlanta. They build minivans there now and it seems I recall hearing (in the local news) it's about to close for retooling. I'd love it if that's where the Camaro gets built. That's my neck of the woods and it's American as Apple pie and Chevrolet!

Quick Reply: If built, not in Canada per Lutz