2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

I drove a 2010 SS today!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by GDANESS
Awesome. You are a lucky fellow. Does anyone on hear know what happens to a car like this once production of the actual customer ordered cars begins?
We asked him this question and he said it stays as part of the GM fleet for a while, and then after that who knows. (possibly gets bought by an employee eventually) This one was a full production car, so it probably wouldn't get destroyed like I've heard the pre production cars often do.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
This car was the 210th one off the assembly line, and I believe they are going to start being sold to the public in mid March.
Does this mean that a slow run has already begun?
Old 02-15-2009, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by MetalDragon
Does this mean that a slow run has already begun?
Yes, production has been going for a little while and continues next week, despite reports by the media that production is on hold for a month. I don't know why they are saying that, especially when GM has 16,000 orders in the system for this car at the moment!
Old 02-15-2009, 08:05 PM

I wonder if the car didn't feel very fast in the same way the CTS-V and GXP didn't due to height off the road and weight in contrast to say a Corvette. Were you driving an automatic or manual? Also I know you said you were pushing it pretty good but were you redlining before shifts and how crisp did it shift?
Old 02-15-2009, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Logansneo
I wonder if the car didn't feel very fast in the same way the CTS-V and GXP didn't due to height off the road and weight in contrast to say a Corvette. Were you driving an automatic or manual? Also I know you said you were pushing it pretty good but were you redlining before shifts and how crisp did it shift?
It was a manual, and at one point I was holding it at 3000 rpm in first, then I hammered it and shifted quickly to second at about 6000. I'm sure I could've revved it a big higher, but the tach is tricky to read and I didn't want to bump the limiter. Shifting in this car is really nice, it's very easy to drive it hard.

And it's entirely possible that just due to the ride height, that it didn't feel as quick as a Corvette that sits much lower. I'll be very interested in seeing how these cars run down the quarter mile once their owners break them in.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:16 PM

A friend of mine works at the assembly plant, and he brought a new SS out to give some of us a chance to look at the car and even let a bunch of us drive it!

I got to drive it about 10 miles or so, but the road was very straight, so I didn't get to see how it cornered. I did get the chance to go full throttle a couple of times, it feels about the same as a stock LS1 f-body unfortunately. I figured they would be quicker, but it feels like about a 13.3 at 105 to me. It's got 426hp, but weighs probably 3800 lbs so that obviously hurts performance. The suspension is nice, it felt very comfortable over the bumps, not harsh, but still firm and sporty. I found the seating position odd, it was a lot different than what I'm used to in my C5 Corvette. The gauges are kind of odd looking, IMO, it would take me a while to get used to them. But the entire dash layout is pretty cool, especially the four gauges down low in the console (including trans temp and oil temp, those are nice touches!)

I'm not sure what the name of this color was (I'm sure a lot of you guys in here will tell me what it is), in the pictures it just looks like Victory Red but it's actually a metallic red that has a very strong orange look to it in the direct sunlight.

This car was the 210th one off the assembly line, and I believe they are going to start being sold to the public in mid March. It was very cool to be one of the select few people (outside of GM employees and the automotive press) to have driven one!! It's amazing how fast time flies though, it seems to me like it was just yesterday when I got the chance to see one of the very first 98 Camaro SS pre production models before anyone else saw them.

Here are some pics:

You are one lucky guy! Thanks for the mini-review and the pics. Was this a 2SS, and if so did the ambient lighting function?
Old 02-15-2009, 08:18 PM

Yes, production has been going for a little while and continues next week, despite reports by the media that production is on hold for a month. I don't know why they are saying that, especially when GM has 16,000 orders in the system for this car at the moment!
Good to hear, can't wait for March 16th! 16,000?? Wow, didn't realize that it was this high already!
Old 02-15-2009, 08:22 PM

I guess they will be running around soon enough. Maybe I'll be able to talk someone into leting me drive one.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:34 PM

This is huge news!!! Scott, we need your input here. This does not look like the delay till March that was spoken of. I mean, they said they had to delay
production to get some flaws fixed. So are they not going to fix them, or did they get the fixes in time for Feb. production? We need some clarification from someone in the know.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by SSPORT10
can't wait for March 16th! 16
Why? According to this thread, the production has already begun.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by 8Banger
Why? According to this thread, the production has already begun.
Customer orders have not begun yet...that car was the 210th off the line of production cars that are for testing and evaluation only.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:23 PM

Customer orders have not begun yet...that car was the 210th off the line of production cars that are for testing and evaluation only.
COOL!!! Hopefully that means that some magazines will finally get their grubby little hands on a few test models for reviews!
Old 02-16-2009, 04:55 AM

One of the other moderators on LS1Tech.com has a car on order and he's been told that his car is being built today, and he'll have it in mid March.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:59 AM

You are one lucky guy! Thanks for the mini-review and the pics. Was this a 2SS, and if so did the ambient lighting function?
It must've been a 2SS since it had the four extra gauges in the center console, but I didn't notice the ambient lighting function since I drove it during the day. In retrospect I now wish I had spent more time paying attention to a lot more of the "details" about this car. I was just so much in awe that I was actually getting to drive one that I didn't even think about all the little stuff. Hopefully someone else on here gets to drive one soon and will take notes when they drive it so they can write a more detailed report than me.

Last edited by Patman; 02-16-2009 at 05:03 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:20 AM

If it's not faster than an LS1, something's wrong. Even if it is faster and doesn't feel it, something is still wrong with that scenario. TQ and the feeling of power is why many of us buy these cars. Hopefully it feels sporty and not like a powerful sedan or something.

Last edited by IZ28; 02-16-2009 at 06:22 AM.

Quick Reply: I drove a 2010 SS today!