2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

I don't think the z28 name will be coming back anytime soon

Old 05-01-2007, 02:24 PM
BBOMG Organizer

Originally Posted by IZ28
Z28 is to Camaro what HEMI is to Dodge's most famous.
I would not make that analogy.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:08 PM

I agree I would not say this.

The Hemi is not really what it used to be. It has more in common with w LS2 vs a real Hemi.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:10 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Bite your tongue off right now!!!!!!

Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2007, 11:21 PM

Hemi was in several Dodges and Chryslers, but Z28 is Camaro.
Z28 is to Camaro as Trans Am is to Firebird.
I didnt read all 5 pages, but if no one said it before...
Any Chevy can be an SS, only a Camaro can be a Z28.
Even IROC still has a tie in with Z28. The IROC was just a lable to show the similarity between the IROC race cars and production car, but still an IROC Z28.
Camaro without Z28 would really upset me. Something about that badge, the colors, it just fits the car. I see it on 69's, I see it on 73's, I remember the Z28 badge on my 87, and I see the Z badge on 4th gens.
Not having one...I also would be bummed out about it and could possibly be turned off by that. Its not that there is no Z28 available, but that the people that were working on it deemed that it was not needed or that they shouldnt offer such a model, which just shows the type of people working on it.
Problem is, I know that the people that do have there hands in making this vehicle know EXACTLY what Z28 means. They know that those alphanumerics are something that strikes a cord in every car persons mind. It means performance, it means power, it means business.
Feel free to use that in ad campagins btw...
Old 05-02-2007, 03:05 AM

So much rhetoric in this and all the Z28 vs. SS threads.

Simple fact, whenever there was an option between the two, the SS has always had the biggest engines and/or the most horsepower.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by blackrat

Simple fact, whenever there was an option between the two, the SS has always had the biggest engines and/or the most horsepower.
But SS's were a dime a dozen. The Z/28 was rarer, therefore making it a more special model.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:44 PM

And I'm not sure that your thinking is all that relevant about the future designatons for Camaro.

SS Camaros were always nice cars, theres no dispute. I liked smallblock Camaros that were SS for their better balance where superior handling is an issue. For me, handling balance is very important in a personal coupe. Let's grant that 4th gen SS Camaros handled well...they should have... they began life as a Z/28..

The original Camaro Z/28's were all about balance, for their time. Do the Penske mod to the front spindle location on a 1st gen, which I did, and you had a VERY good handling car for it's class. Add a very high revving smallblock, well, there's a reason for the legendary status of the Z/28, and all rooted in history.

The SS moniker has lots of different Chevy platforms as a reference point... IOW, SS can be an Impala, a Chevelle, and etc.. An SS might be the "hot" ticket depending on the platform...BUT.... WE are talking Camaro here!

SS does have brand equity, no doubt. Uniquely, Z/28, in keeping with the original formula, conjures up a badass Camaro to me, < and most potential buyers >. IOW? , more "focused" brand equity.

SS, when I think of it, is a luxury - sport package or trim level. Nice car? Sure... Just not an extreme enthusiast package.

The Z06 designation is the same deal, IMO. And perhaps it can illustrate my point? It needs no additional name added to make clear the car which is being described.

You need not add "Corvette" to qualify what you are talking about. Z06 equals badass 'vette. It's a short nickname for "go fast", if you will.

The SS name is not that same sort of distinct descripton, nor quite as singular is it's meaning. Don't sell the "unique" aspect short.

Last edited by 1fastdog; 05-02-2007 at 02:53 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-02-2007, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by 1fastdog
And I'm not sure that thinking is all that relevant about the future designatons for Camaro.

SS Camaros were always nice cars, theres no dispute. I liked smallblock Camaros that were SS for their better balance where superior handling is an issue. For me, handling balance is very important in a personal coupe. Let's grant that 4th gen SS Camaros handled well...they should have... the began life as a Z/28..

The original Camaro Z/28's were all about balance, for their time. Do the Penske mod to the front spindle location on a 1st gen, which I did, and you had a VERY good handling car for it's class. Add a very high revving smallblock, well there's a reason for the legendary status of the Z/28, all rooted in history.

The SS moniker has lots of different Chevy platforms as a reference point... IOW, SS can be an Impala, a Chevelle, and etc..

SS has brand equity no doubt. Z/28 in keeping with the original formula, conjures up a badass Camaro to me, and most potential buyers. IOW, more focused brand equity.

SS, when I think of it, is a luxury - sport package or trim level. Nice car? Sure... Just not an extreme enthusiast package.

The Z06 designation is the same deal, IMO. And perhaps it can illustrate my point? It needs no additional name added to make clear the car which is being described.

You need not add "Corvette" to qualify what you are talking about. Z06 equals badass 'vette. It's a short nickname for "go fast", if you will.

The SS name is not that same sort of distinct descripton, nor quite as singular it's meaning. Don't sell the "unique" aspect short.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:11 PM
Disciple

Originally Posted by Z284ever
x2
Old 05-02-2007, 03:56 PM

Z28 was a special perfomance option and it should return to that. SS is a model option and it should return to that.

Question is with higher gas prices a performance V6 will be a viable option if gas continues to rise.

What would you call a high performance V6 Camaro. Keep in mind I am talking 300 HP here.

You can't use SS or Z28 and as for as RS I would use it as a trim package.

Is it time for a new Camaro model name to fit a 300 HP V6 if gas id $4 a gallon?
Old 05-02-2007, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by 1fastdog
And I'm not sure that your thinking is all that relevant about the future designatons for Camaro....
Wouldn't that be more in line the with the third and fourth gen 1LE package?

Just going off of history till now, the 1st gen Z28 was a lightweight small CI that revved with upgraded handling and braking. The SS was the one who carried the firepower.

Second gen, the Z28 got the LT-1 while the first year (or two ) of the SS got the big block as well, so it kind of carried on the tradition. After the gas crisis the SS moniker got phased out of Chevy, but of course they were still putting out performance Camaros. The fact that the engine choices dropped significantly and people weren't really looking for gas guzzling big blocks anymore made it simple and smart business to just make the Z28 be the performance model and the other models to have low output v8s or 6s. It became a jack of all trades to say that could be optioned out with vinyl interior, A/C, and whatnot. It was no longer the stripper race model it used to be, but it could still stand on it's own and I believe was one of the better handling cars for the time.

Third gen came around and the Z still followed the premise set forth by the second gens. When people started clamoring for a competition model, the 1LE package was set forth. With exception to engine, the 1LE followed the original Z28 pattern almost indentically. Few options, heavy duty brakes, and heavy duty suspension.

The 1LE continued on during the fourth gen days and was usually a hardtop Z with custom springs, shocks, and better bushings in the rear suspension parts, more of a true "racecar" then the Z28, and more so then the heavy options laden SS, even though the SS had better suspension.

I can understand why Z28 carries so much weight with you guys, but I keep reading posts over the past few months of people saying that the Z28 has always been the top dog, should get the most powerful engine, SS should be the entry V8 model, etc. etc. I could not make sense of any of these claims since they never seemed to come from anywhere after you look at Camaro's history.

If anything, the model designation that makes the most sense to get the top 500+ hp engine would be to re-surrect the ZL-1 name. It was out along the same time as the Z06, which is riding a wave of good publicity, and it's not like it hasn't been brought up before, if you guys remember the 9 sec. beast that was the 4th gen ZL-1. Now that would be awesome, ZL-1 versus the Shelby.

EDIT: I realized that I'm fighting a battle that has nothing to do with the original post topic. With regards to that, there is no way they would NOT have a Z28 for the 5th gen. Would not make ANY sense to get rid of that title, and like it has been pointed out it is synonymous with Camaro.

Last edited by blackrat; 05-02-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:23 PM

Wouldn't that be more in line the with the third and fourth gen 1LE package?

Just going off of history till now, the 1st gen Z28 was a lightweight small CI that revved with upgraded handling and braking. The SS was the one who carried the firepower..
In truth, the Z/28 was meant to make the reputation for Camaro, sales was a fluke of sorts, once the "cat was out of the bag".

Second gen, the Z28 got the LT-1 while the first year (or two ) of the SS got the big block as well, so it kind of carried on the tradition. After the gas crisis the SS moniker got phased out of Chevy, but of course they were still putting out performance Camaros. The fact that the engine choices dropped significantly and people weren't really looking for gas guzzling big blocks anymore made it simple and smart business to just make the Z28 be the performance model and the other models to have low output v8s or 6s. It became a jack of all trades to say that could be optioned out with vinyl interior, A/C, and whatnot. It was no longer the stripper race model it used to be, but it could still stand on it's own and I believe was one of the better handling cars for the time.
As you point out, the Z/28 has always had the street cred and the rep. During the late 60's the drag racing hot ticket was to stuff a 427 under the Camaro hood. The 396 was as big as any regular production offered engine.
The ZL1 was a monster, for sure. However, whether we are talking the 1st gen aluminum bigblock car or the LS6 smallblock car, neither was a regular production option from GM. The 1969 was as stroke of luck as the ZL-1 motor was originally meant for the Corvette package. In truth the aluminum L88 was a homolugation excercise and the street version vette.

The SS Camaro 350 or SS Camaro 396 are not remembered as legends in the quite the same fashion as the Z/28 or COPO cars are. They were nice cars. Joys to own. Fast and fun.. Just not what folks would pay all the money for in their day. I'm 55... I remember how it really was.

Third gen came around and the Z still followed the premise set forth by the second gens. When people started clamoring for a competition model, the 1LE package was set forth. With exception to engine, the 1LE followed the original Z28 pattern almost indentically. Few options, heavy duty brakes, and heavy duty suspension.

The 1LE continued on during the fourth gen days and was usually a hardtop Z with custom springs, shocks, and better bushings in the rear suspension parts, more of a true "racecar" then the Z28, and more so then the heavy options laden SS, even though the SS had better suspension..
From what I can recall, the 1LE package was strictly put together for racers that wanted to race SCCA and homologation rules were far more stringent then than now.

If anything, the model designation that makes the most sense to get the top 500+ hp engine would be to re-surrect the ZL-1 name. It was out along the same time as the Z06, which is riding a wave of good publicity, and it's not like it hasn't been brought up before, if you guys remember the 9 sec. beast that was the 4th gen ZL-1. Now that would be awesome, ZL-1 versus the Shelby.

Again, ZL1 was never a regular production option for Camaro that I'm aware of. The production Z06 was 1963, and then 2001-2004, and reintroduced in 2006.

Last edited by 1fastdog; 05-02-2007 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:56 PM

I would put the Z28 up against thigh higher output 396 SS Camaros and I wouldnt be surprised if the race was closer then the hp numbers dictate.
Now, 2nd gen Z28's would easily smoke the 402 powerd SS Camaros. The SS was just a trim level that Chevy carried for a high performance cars, but the Z28 was the RACE car. Z28 came about after its popularity in Trans Am racing.
Z28 continued to be the race car, and I dont mean drag racer. The Z28 was the total package, Power, handling, performance, and damn near constant part of Camaro since birth. I remeber the ads for the Z28's return, labled as "The King has Returned"
I think that GM should continue with that theme.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:39 PM

What i dont understand about some of you guys thinking is this.

We all agree that the Z/28 was the smaller engine, less hp, but better handling car. Correct?

So why is it that everywhere i look around here, you guys seem to be conjuring up ideas that the Z/28 will have more power, more motor etc...

I dont get it.

If you going to get down to it, i will not be suprised at all if this is the lay of things...The Z/28 is a legend, but lets face it, it has never had more power, EVER. So why is this argument over the Z/28 name coming to talking about power.

I have no doubt that they will bring it back, but i also have to doubt that it wont be the top powered car either.

Just my .02
Old 05-02-2007, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Z/28lover
What i dont understand about some of you guys thinking is this.

We all agree that the Z/28 was the smaller engine, less hp, but better handling car. Correct?

So why is it that everywhere i look around here, you guys seem to be conjuring up ideas that the Z/28 will have more power, more motor etc...

I dont get it.

If you going to get down to it, i will not be suprised at all if this is the lay of things...The Z/28 is a legend, but lets face it, it has never had more power, EVER. So why is this argument over the Z/28 name coming to talking about power.

I have no doubt that they will bring it back, but i also have to doubt that it wont be the top powered car either.

Just my .02
It is not power it is package. It had good power and special power adders like Cross ram's, cam, chambered exhaust, 4 wheel disc. special springs and bars, cold air induction etc.

The Z was a package and not just power only. It was not just a drag car at a time when muscle cars all preached 0-60 and 1/4 mile times [except for Pontiac and Shelby]. This was the first Chevy other than the Corvette and Corvair that made left and right a fun thing not to mention stopping. It was the first of what we pretty much have today a all around balanced performance car and not just a stop light racer.

Rodays Shelby Mustang is a all around performance car but it could use a little more in the handling department. They cheaped out and used a cheaper rear and gave away potential performance. Chevy has the better parts to draw out more from the suspension package.

If you want respect today 0-60 is good but you need to be able to cust good 60-0 times as well as lap times. Brute force just is not enough any more.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I don't think the z28 name will be coming back anytime soon