2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

I don't think the z28 name will be coming back anytime soon

Old 04-28-2007, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Lets see Toyota match that. They could offer a rusty heritage Celica.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by guionM

GM decided not to continue to certify the LT1 (which was basically a mildly modified Corvette L82) past 1975 because the Camaro was due to be killed off.
The L-82 came AFTER the LT-1, not before. LT-1 was the solid lifter, high compression engine, 1970-1972 only. L-82 came in 1973.

Last edited by CLEAN; 04-28-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Well if you take into account the prices of Mustangs the Shelby is second to none in value. Also find me a Mustang fan that would turn down a Shelby for anything this side of a Boss 429 or Parnelli Jones Boss race car.

GT Mustangs, Mach 1 and Boss Mustangs are all great and popular but they still pail to any Shelby.

Now the same thinking applied to the Camaro. You have your big block SS cars and the the rare ZL1 but the high point of the Camaro in terms of First gen is still a high optioned Z28.

Both the Shelby and Z28 have the racing history and competed together in the past. No reason for them not to compete now.

Also you can say the name "Sheby GT350" you don't have to say Mustang just as you say "Z28" you never have to say CAMARO, people know what car you are talking about.

If you say SS to a muscle car fan the reply would be "Which One?" An "SS" is a "Chevy" and a "Z28" is a "Camaro".

I don't expect all to agree and that is all that it is. But in my opinion when a model sub name can carry a car with out even naming the Model with a ledgend like history and name equity you can ask a premium for it.

I am not saying anything bad about the later Z cars as they were good cars. But in my eyes they lost the special status of the original car. A car is just not as special if everyone has one. It should be a car that should be aspired too by those owners of the lessor car or other brands.

I am not a Mustang fan but I really appreciate the Shelby then and today as it is not something I am going to see every day on my trip to work. Now if I am driving one of these cars to work I will have no problem paying extra for the right to own one.

As I have said this is my opinion and it is base on my dealing working in the performance aftermarket. When people call me from Iowa or Europe they don't tell me they have a Camaro they say they have a Z28 or in Europe a Zed 28. The name is a badge of pride.

I still think the SLP cars were backwards and shoulf have been the Z28 as the SS name never made the SS Camaro stand out for the special car it was.

I hope Scott you understand where I am coming from. I do not post a lot here but read often and know my Chevy history fairly well. I hate to see names like Z24 and the like placed on cars that in my eyes were good cars but not special. It is like slapping Super Duty on a Grand Am or Shelby on a FWD car. It is just wrong.

I am not putting down any SS car being a 2 time owner of past 60's Chevy SS cars. But the ZL11. ZL1, Z06 and Z28 are Special cars and any Z car should be held to a higher standard.

High number sold should not play into it as Porsche sold a lot of 944 but the 911 is still the one everyone wants.

Now it has stopped raining, excuse me while I go wash my ZQ8.........[Sorry I was on a roll]

Pretty good post there bud.

My mother's uncle's wife is British. When they were visiting the US once, she looked at my car and with her British accent said: " Is that a Zed twenty eight?"
No other explaination needed...

BTW, as a side note, the best SS that you can buy at this particular time IMO - the Cobalt SS - has been cancelled for 2008.

Last edited by Z284ever; 04-28-2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by CLEAN
The L-82 came AFTER the LT-1, not before. LT-1 was the solid lifter, high compression engine, 1970-1972 only. L-82 came in 1973 and was just....there.

What he said.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever

BTW, as a side note, the best SS that you can buy at this particular time IMO - the Cobalt SS - has been cancelled for 2008.
No way, are you serious?
Old 04-28-2007, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by CLEAN
No way, are you serious?

Sadly, yes.
http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/dom...D=5143&type=0#

Last edited by ChrisL; 04-29-2007 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:53 PM

If I recall a recent quote from Chevy Mgmt, that quite a few insiders were pretty P.O.'d about the dilluting of the SS name. There's been a change going forward.. only serious vehicles can receive the SS name. No more Malibum Cobalt, MonteCarlo SSes but possibly an Impala SS because it's returning to RWD and it's pulling duty at NASCAR. I assume there will be an SS Camaro, there will probably be a low cost Z-28 for the first two years. The SS will probably have a different engine and chassis/brakes upgraded and the associated body/graphic package. SS is not a Corvette sub-species, never will be either. (wrong DNA code, can't reproduce).
Old 04-28-2007, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ultra_Dog
If I recall a recent quote from Chevy Mgmt, that quite a few insiders were pretty P.O.'d about the dilluting of the SS name. There's been a change going forward.. only serious vehicles can receive the SS name. No more Malibum Cobalt, MonteCarlo SSes but possibly an Impala SS because it's returning to RWD and it's pulling duty at NASCAR.
Sure, but what is it that will qualify a package to be called SS? I mean exactly. The Cobalt SS supercharged (dead for '08), for example, could put 99% of all the SS's ever produced on the trailer. If you sent an LS4 MC SS (dead before this year is out), in a time machine to 1970, it would eat most SS's for lunch - that is including most big blocks.

So what's the criterion?
Old 04-28-2007, 11:27 PM

Considering Ford is whoring out every Mustang branding they've got and that GM has a lot riding on this car I think we'll see more Camaro configurations then before. Z/28 is bound to appear somewhere.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:56 AM

I can see models SS and Z28. Add to that some of the old stripe packaged on the new body with a modern tweek.

Add to that the RS trim group.

Then if needed some special car like the A Red Hot Rod edition, Smokey Yunick Black Gold edition, Grumpys s Toy edition Or Penskie edition. You get the idea.

Anyway special packages to keep it fresh and keep interest up. Ford is already doing that with the Mustang.

I do not know for sure what they plan but I am sure we will see some special factory Camaro's. There is a lot of history to work with.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:30 AM

Ok first off.

capS ON.
ANYTHING CAN BE AN SS ONLY A CAMARO CAN BE A Z28

enough said.

There were many times that the Z28 was taken off of the camaro line up.
in 1975 the z wasnt Made in mass production (One is said to of been made) & didnt come back in to production until mid way through 77.

Then again it was taken out of production in 88 until 91 when the Z28 return after GM didnt up the contract for IROC. (even though the option Z28 was still in the car for the Iroc there was no Z28 MODEL being produced.)
Old 04-29-2007, 01:55 PM

Let me just add that for probably the first time in a decade, the Camaro team "gets it" regarding the Z/28.

That wasn't always the case, believe me.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Let me just add that for probably the first time in a decade, the Camaro team "gets it" regarding the Z/28.

That wasn't always the case, believe me.

From the current SS lineup, the only ones I would have dropped are the n/a 4 door Cobalt, and the Malibu. The TB SS, while not my thing, I think qualified. The s/c Cobalt coupe CERTAINLY qualified. And I think the Monte and Impala SS....what else could you want besides RWD? 300hp, 18 inch wheels, bigger bars, dual (outlet) exhaust? Dayum nice package if you ask me.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by krazzycowgirl
Ok first off.

capS ON.
ANYTHING CAN BE AN SS ONLY A CAMARO CAN BE A Z28

enough said.
....and ONLY a CAVALIER can be a Z24.

Now enough said.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:48 PM

I don't know why people snicker at the Z24. Especially the early V6 versions. Their torque laden MPFI V6's (both 2.8 and 3.1) made them respectable performers on the street. They were also very affordable to buy and own - which made them popular.

The equivalent today would be like GM stuffing a 3.9 V6 or 3.6 HFV6 with a stick, into a Cobalt and selling it for under $20 grand.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I don't think the z28 name will be coming back anytime soon