2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hybrid camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by leodave2000
Well they already have a hybrid vette and i do belive that the CAFE takes affect in 2010 not 2012 but I will go more into that..
also for the vette its on chevy's offical website here's the linkhttp://www.chevrolet.com/fuelsolutions/
i didnt see any hybrid vette. sorry
Old 12-18-2008, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8
My biggest problem with some of GM's "Hybrids" are that they're not actually hybrids. The Malibu/Aura, for example, have electric assist motors but do not contain a high voltage A/C system like a Prius or the true hybrid Tahoe. The other big difference is that electric motors do not directly drive the wheels.

It's not a true high voltage system (60v+). The "hybrid lite" systems are a 36v system that connect to an integrated motor with the driveline. As such, you will see that it has "blue" cabling instead of "orange" cabling. The rest is pretty obvious with the minimal fuel mileage increase over the regular gasoline model. A huge failure in my mind because it makes GM look "cheap" in comparison to the competition. I.e. "Why can't GM make something get good gas mileage like the Prius?"

I think GM could hit the dang Camaro and Corvette out of the ballpark using a true hybrid system. Electric motor torque is...awesome...and we've seen how electric/hybrid technology can impact performance. Just look at Tesla motors. Combined with the existing 3.6, or even the LNF 260hp turbo 4, could be quite impressive and enticing for "new" Camaro buyers.
the volt is supposed to be the first true electric drive car under 40 grand i think. there is a car already that exist with this technology but it cost over 100,000.
as far as making a camaro liek this, i woudl say they should just make a whole new coupe and give it this drive train. this is not for the camaro. it is a muscle car, people know that and people expect that. dont buy it if you want to get 30+ mpg. this isnt the car for you. go buy a hybrid if you are looking for a car to do this job. people are rediculous. they expect everythign to have the same MPG as the next no matter how big or how small. certain cars have certain jobs and they dont all have the same purpose. dont make a truck a hybrid because itsn ot made for that and peole buy trucks to haul and tow. if you want fuel economy buy the volt. im not against making fuel effieint cars but dont make every damn car a hybrid because they arent meant to be. the vette, should not be a hybrid and the camaro should not either . make a new rwd platform with a different name and give it a hybrid powertrain if people really want it.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
the volt is supposed to be the first true electric drive car under 40 grand i think. there is a car already that exist with this technology but it cost over 100,000.
as far as making a camaro liek this, i woudl say they should just make a whole new coupe and give it this drive train. this is not for the camaro. it is a muscle car, people know that and people expect that. dont buy it if you want to get 30+ mpg. this isnt the car for you. go buy a hybrid if you are looking for a car to do this job. people are rediculous. they expect everythign to have the same MPG as the next no matter how big or how small. certain cars have certain jobs and they dont all have the same purpose. dont make a truck a hybrid because itsn ot made for that and peole buy trucks to haul and tow. if you want fuel economy buy the volt. im not against making fuel effieint cars but dont make every damn car a hybrid because they arent meant to be. the vette, should not be a hybrid and the camaro should not either . make a new rwd platform with a different name and give it a hybrid powertrain if people really want it.
first off, the camaro is a pony car, not a muscle car.

cars are going to have to adapt, and hybrids are an adaptation. and people DO NOT buy trucks to just tow and haul things.

the internal combustion engine isn't going to be around forever. you can't be afraid of progress and change.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by TrickStang37
first off, the camaro is a pony car, not a muscle car.

cars are going to have to adapt, and hybrids are an adaptation. and people DO NOT buy trucks to just tow and haul things.

the internal combustion engine isn't going to be around forever. you can't be afraid of progress and change.
HAHAHA! what? the camaro is concidered a muscle car. always has been and always will be. and yeah the most recent studies show that the people who buy trucks, which happened to be the leadeing selling cars in the US this year, use them for hauling and towing.
im not affraid of progress and change but lets look at chevy's small block. how long has this motor been around? its still a push rod motor since it was designed back in the day! change is coming, for some cars. others will not see as much of a change.

Last edited by 2010_5thgen; 12-19-2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:04 AM

i didnt see any hybrid vette. sorry
that's cool but they will be a hybrid camaro and since gm is getting the loan that they so badly need and the goverment is now/will be a stake holder they have to change or people might as well buy euros and besides the number 1 agrument of the majority of americans is that they don't want to pay 5-6$ a gallon in the near future.

here's the link about the goverment being a future stakeholder:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/meltdown_autos

as for trucks i have MY opinion is that they are meant to haul things
Old 12-19-2008, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by leodave2000
that's cool but they will be a hybrid camaro and since gm is getting the loan that they so badly need and the goverment is now/will be a stake holder they have to change or people might as well buy euros and besides the number 1 agrument of the majority of americans is that they don't want to pay 5-6$ a gallon in the near future.

here's the link about the goverment being a future stakeholder:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/meltdown_autos

as for trucks i have MY opinion is that they are meant to haul things
yeah i understand no one wants to pay the 5-6 dolars a gallon. but there is no way you can say there WILL be a hybrid camaro. and if there were do you think thats going to solve all of our problems? no, of course not. because then once everyone is running on hybrid or electric cars guess what? the cost of electricity goes up. and do you know how long the batteries last in the toyota prius? 8 yrs. and do you know how much it cost to repair or buy a new battery for it? 8-10,000 dollars! so now wheres the priorities? sure switch everythign to hybrids and electric cars but that just starts a whole new bunch of problems and expenses. trust me, electricity is already on its way up right now and once everyone is plugging a car in to charge it, the price is just going to go up and it will be more per "gallon" than we pay now.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:07 AM

yeah i understand no one wants to pay the 5-6 dolars a gallon. but there is no way you can say there WILL be a hybrid camaro. and if there were do you think thats going to solve all of our problems? no, of course not. because then once everyone is running on hybrid or electric cars guess what? the cost of electricity goes up. and do you know how long the batteries last in the toyota prius? 8 yrs. and do you know how much it cost to repair or buy a new battery for it? 8-10,000 dollars! so now wheres the priorities? sure switch everythign to hybrids and electric cars but that just starts a whole new bunch of problems and expenses. trust me, electricity is already on its way up right now and once everyone is plugging a car in to charge it, the price is just going to go up and it will be more per "gallon" than we pay now.
that's true but the masses want that and to many its worth the 8-10,000 than having a screwed up planet. The other is pressure from the government who in turn received pressure from people on cleaner cars and efficient gas miliage, and from someone in the previous reply change has to happen or gm will go under and also i have a question what's the difference between the muscle and pony? and for the eternal combustion engine a independent car company called tesla motors have been making a roadster that is mainly a electric engine and does i believe 120-200 mph so that's pretty good. the done side 8 hours of charing so i do see that electricity is going to go up but many companies are using alternative fules such as geotheraml, wind and ethanol.

Last edited by leodave2000; 12-19-2008 at 11:11 AM. Reason: telsa motors
Old 12-19-2008, 05:03 PM

i dont know the difference in a muscle car and a pony car. they are the same thing but people just like to use different terminalogy. pony car origionated from the mustang. muscle car term was used to describe rwd, 2 door v8 powered car, with rear seats, back in the 60-70's and the name stuck with them since. and the rear seats were one of the main things concidered to be a muscle car. that is why corvettes are concidered sports cars, because they are only 2 seaters.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:14 AM

i dont know the difference in a muscle car and a pony car. they are the same thing but people just like to use different terminalogy. pony car origionated from the mustang. muscle car term was used to describe rwd, 2 door v8 powered car, with rear seats, back in the 60-70's and the name stuck with them since. and the rear seats were one of the main things concidered to be a muscle car. that is why corvettes are concidered sports cars, because they are only 2 seaters.
LOL the "muscle car" term wasn't even used in the 60's
Old 12-22-2008, 06:17 AM

Well the 5th gen didn't exist in the 60's either. By your logic, doesn't that rule out pony car?

-Geoff
Old 12-22-2008, 07:16 AM

yeah it was actually. the mustang was out in the mid 60 and the camaro came out it the late 60's and thats when they used the term MUSCLE CAR.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8
My biggest problem with some of GM's "Hybrids" are that they're not actually hybrids. The Malibu/Aura, for example, have electric assist motors but do not contain a high voltage A/C system like a Prius or the true hybrid Tahoe. The other big difference is that electric motors do not directly drive the wheels.

It's not a true high voltage system (60v+). The "hybrid lite" systems are a 36v system that connect to an integrated motor with the driveline. As such, you will see that it has "blue" cabling instead of "orange" cabling. The rest is pretty obvious with the minimal fuel mileage increase over the regular gasoline model. A huge failure in my mind because it makes GM look "cheap" in comparison to the competition. I.e. "Why can't GM make something get good gas mileage like the Prius?"
BAS is a better system than a lot of people give it credit for. It's very similar to Honda's first generation IMA. My wife's Vue Green Line consistently gets 26 in the city in the warm weather and 23-4 in the cold. That's considerably better than a regular FWD 4 cylinder Vue.

And when you factor in the higher level of standard equipment vs. the regular 4 cylinder, the difference is negligible.

Look at CNN/Money/Consumer Reports "Hybrid Savings: Winners and Losers"

#1? Saturn Vue Green Line. "The Saturn Vue Green Line comes out on top when looking at five-year total cost savings, according to Consumer Reports."

The BAS Malibu is #6 on the list (right after the Prius at #5) and the Aura is #8 (Just ahead of the Civic hybrid).

BAS systems don't provide as large a boost in mileage, but pay off much more quickly.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:40 AM

They do because cost is very small compared to the more advanced hybrid systems.

Would it be cool to see a Hyrbid Camaro? Yes.
I would rather see a 2.9 TDI diesel motor for the Camaro. Holden's gunna get it, and it would make the Camaro a huge hit in Europe.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
They do because cost is very small compared to the more advanced hybrid systems.
Absolutely, but if a Vue Green Line saves you $4550.00 over 5 years and a Civic Hybrid saves you $25.00 (the actual numbers cited by CR) does it matter what the numbers on the windows sticker say?

"I'm getting 37 MPG! I only saved 25 bucks, but hey, that's almost 40 miles per gallon!"