2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
View Poll Results: How much would you pay per pound to save weight?
Zero.
31.48%
$5 per pound
24.07%
$10 per pound
31.48%
$15 per pound
12.96%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

How much more per pound would you pay to reduce mass?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 09:39 AM
Disciple

Re: How much more per pound would you pay to reduce mass?

I agree that GM needs to sweat the weight while maintaining a competitive price point.

Originally Posted by Z284ever
OTOH, I think enthusiasts would pay more for EXTRA weight savings on a specific model. This is more along the lines of what I was referring to actually. I'd doubt that we would see a Z06 level of effort or cost, but a little something that would be good for weight reduction and bragging rights would be good.
I dunno.

How many 1LE's sold the average year?

IMO the biggest competitor to the enthusiasts dream Z/28 is a used Z06. Once you think track, things like back seats and warranty become immaterial.

Charlie, have you described your "dream" 5th gen and what you're willing to pay for it?

Last edited by poSSum; 01-04-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:41 AM

OTOH, I think enthusiasts would pay more for EXTRA weight savings on a specific model. This is more along the lines of what I was referring to actually. I'd doubt that we would see a Z06 level of effort or cost, but a little something that would be good for weight reduction and bragging rights would be good.
I see, I thought you were talking about sticker price in exchange for across the board reductions.

Now I wouldn't want to see the option cost on a mag. engine cradle but just for argument's sake its an entertaining discusison.

Perhaps a lightweight option group? Could combine some various magnesium and aluminum bolt-in structural parts as well as a lightweight set of wheels....but that's all starting to sound like Z06-style Z28 goodies to me

One question though....unique or optional chassis components would require additional crash testing, right? That's expensive........too expensive for Camaro to justify?
Old 01-04-2006, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by poSSum
I agree that GM needs to sweat the weight while maintaining a competitive price point.

I dunno.

How many 1LE's sold the average year?

IMO the biggest competitor to the enthusiasts dream Z/28 is a used Z06. Once you think track, things like back seats and warranty become immaterial.

Charlie, have you described your "dream" 5th gen and what you're willing to pay for it?

You are one thought provoking dude, Art.

Obviously, Z06 is the Chevy pinnacle in this area. But for most people, justifying the 65-70K cost is a tough decision.

What would I be willing to pay for my "dream" Z/28? I don't know yet, but a premium, that's for sure.

But I see it as more about focus and mission that purely cost.

For example, I'd rather have a normally aspirated, all aluminum smallblock, that puts out 430-ish hp (just picking a number)....rather than a cast iron, blown, intercooled motor that puts out 475 hp........because I'd prefer to save the couple of hundred pounds in weight on the NA motor (and cost BTW).

I'd rather have excellent seats with manual adjustments, rather than the 20-40lbs power seats would cost me.

Stuff like that. I'll get back to this later when I have more time....
Old 01-04-2006, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

At first, I looked at the options and they seemed like a lot of money.

Then I read the #2 post, which put it in perspective. 100 pounds for $1000. I voted $10/pound after reading the second post.

Upon further reflection, I think the price premium can NOT be $1000 or more in order for the car to sell well. It's a bit of a magic number.

Personally, I'd be willing to spend a few thousand on weight loss, but not at the expense of features. I like my power windows, mirrors, seats, etc. But if a bit of extra money gets me a magnesium engine cradle or some other exotic material, then sweet.

If people are willing to pay extra for lightweight components, then maybe that will drive the aftermarket in that direction.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Prominent Member

I think the weight issue is more to do with at what performance level do you expect the car to achieve.

IOW, a shifter Kart weighs only a few hundred pounds and only needs 40+ hp to run welll over 100mph and 6"-8" wide tires to pull over 1g......extrapolate that into a 3600#+/- car with 12" wide tires, active handling and over 400hp.

In today's world, we seem to be able to build very high horsepower engines (who'd have thunk that 500hp seems to be mainstream for performance cars sold for under $50k?)....so power ain't a problem, it's how robust does the chassis need to be to still be a good handling car with that much hp? Hell, today's engines are getting 10 year old 4 cylinder mpg ratings!

Oh sure, physics is still relevant, but so is the hp to weight ratio.

I require a car with tons of HP, IRS, big @$$ tires and whatever else needed to make the car handle. Give me a stiff car and I can make it even better....

Just don't give me a pig in both weight and handling....I don't really 'need' to go over 150mph, but I do have to turn corners........
Old 01-04-2006, 10:37 AM

random car enthusiast:"Hey, is that a new Z28"?

new Z28 owner: "Mumble... mumble... drool... I liek Hank Williams Jr..."

random car enthusiast: "That's the one with the magnesium engine cradle, right?"

new Z28 owner: "Yar, gist like the siding on my double-wide".

random car enthusiast: "Too bad you didn't have the cash to spring for the SS, mullet-head."
Here... I fixed that for you... mostly because I'm a caring, helpful kind of guy.

Last edited by PacerX; 01-04-2006 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:58 AM
Prominent Member

CRIPPLE FIGHT!!!

Oh boy, Detroit after-hours is gonna' be a blast!!
Old 01-04-2006, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
CRIPPLE FIGHT!!!

Oh boy, Detroit after-hours is gonna' be a blast!!
Yep. We're gonna have us a blast!
Old 01-04-2006, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6

3rd gens didn't have airbags for the most part
Mine does!
Old 01-04-2006, 11:04 AM

Lighter weight is CHEAPER if it's DESIGNED IN FROM THE START. Consider a 1900 lb. Lotus Elise is ~$20k cheaper than a 2800 lb. Porsche Boxster.

Start with a heavy-**** Cadillac platform, and you could spend $1000s and still only end up with a slightly-less-grossly-overweight F-body.

By the time the car's done, it's too late. You can't really "add on" light weight.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:06 AM
Prominent Member

Originally Posted by V8 Slayer
Mine does!
He wasn't talking about the driver........LOL!! (just a joke, ol' Dan's got me doin' it now....)
Old 01-04-2006, 11:08 AM

I think the weight issue is more to do with at what performance level do you expect the car to achieve.

IOW, a shifter Kart weighs only a few hundred pounds and only needs 40+ hp to run welll over 100mph and 6"-8" wide tires to pull over 1g......extrapolate that into a 3600#+/- car with 12" wide tires, active handling and over 400hp.

In today's world, we seem to be able to build very high horsepower engines (who'd have thunk that 500hp seems to be mainstream for performance cars sold for under $50k?)....so power ain't a problem, it's how robust does the chassis need to be to still be a good handling car with that much hp? Hell, today's engines are getting 10 year old 4 cylinder mpg ratings!

Oh sure, physics is still relevant, but so is the hp to weight ratio.

I require a car with tons of HP, IRS, big @$$ tires and whatever else needed to make the car handle. Give me a stiff car and I can make it even better....

Just don't give me a pig in both weight and handling....I don't really 'need' to go over 150mph, but I do have to turn corners........
Very good point Doug. Something to think about w/ all these HP wars.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Prominent Member

Originally Posted by Dan Baldwin
Lighter weight is CHEAPER if it's DESIGNED IN FROM THE START. Consider a 1900 lb. Lotus Elise is ~$20k cheaper than a 2800 lb. Porsche Boxster.

Start with a heavy-**** Cadillac platform, and you could spend $1000s and still only end up with a slightly-less-grossly-overweight F-body.

By the time the car's done, it's too late. You can't really "add on" light weight.
True dat...but an Elise is a glorified gokart...

I think some of you (us?) might be Kappa people when the turbo versions arrive.....
Old 01-04-2006, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by PacerX
Yep. We're gonna have us a blast!
Can't wait for that!!!! Have a feeling there won't be much sleep this weekend!!!
Old 01-04-2006, 12:38 PM

True dat...but an Elise is a glorified gokart...

I think some of you (us?) might be Kappa people when the turbo versions arrive.....
Kappa is actually woefully overweight at 2900 lb
I maintain that if Mazda can build a 2450 lb. 170 Mazda hp (maybe 155 GM hp?) MX-5 roadster, GM *could* (if they chose to) manage a 2450 lb., 177 GMhp Solstice Coupe (drool drool).

Anyway, the larger point was/is, if you design for light weight from the get-go, it doesn't have to cost more and can actually result in CHEAPER cars. If you start with a 3800 lb. sedan, well, you'll end up with a car that will still be tremendously overweight even after you spend $1000s on trying to make it lighter.

Quick Reply: How much more per pound would you pay to reduce mass?