2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How much would you pay per pound to save weight?
Zero.
31.48%
$5 per pound
24.07%
$10 per pound
31.48%
$15 per pound
12.96%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

How much more per pound would you pay to reduce mass?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 12:13 AM

How much more per pound would you pay to reduce mass?

As a consumer, how much more would you pay per pound for weight saving materials or technology on a new Camaro?
Old 01-04-2006, 12:22 AM

Re: How much more per pound would you pay to reduce mass?

I think I'd be willing to spend one thousand bucks per 100 pounds...maybe more.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:26 AM

Weight is something that I personally hate, but the thing is, once it is quantified, it is tough to justify overall. I voted for $5 per pound. Now if that means that I could check an option box that removed that weight for me for a cost, I would take it in a heartbeat. 200lbs for $1000! that is magical! I think that for the Z/28 (or whatever you will), this is a must. However, this would most likely apply for all models, which could make the price point go up relative to Mustang, which would hurt the new mission of the Camaro.

Maybe for the Z they would give us aluminum suspension pieces? I know, a lot of recertification, but they would have to do that anyway right?
Old 01-04-2006, 01:50 AM

As was said, its pretty impossible to quantify weight with a price. Id be all for an option to pick the amount of weight i wanted, but that is OBVIOUSLY never gonna happen,lol. I picked 10 per pound, but ill be pretty happy with whatever they come out with as long as they keep it under 3800lbs, ill be a very happy camper.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:17 AM

for me it would depend on how much it costs and weighs to begin with than see
Old 01-04-2006, 07:55 AM

A Classic Charlie poll (and I mean that in a nice way )

Well as with any other poll on this forum the results are hardly generalizable since nobody here is the "average" or "typical" pony car buyer.

Most are not going to give a flip about weight if they don't race the car or are not into performance. What they do give a flip about is price, and IMO pony cars are a very price sensitive segment.

Going after a holy grail of weight at the expense of even $1000 added to the sticker could doom this car.

Having said that, I'm going to be disappointed if the car comes in as a pig. Not hating the whole car mind you, but disappointed in that one aspect. However, I understand the pressures mfgrs are under regarding crash worthiness, safety equipment, raw materials costs, etc.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:30 AM

Chris is right. I'd venture an extra $1000 on the sticker (or any extra money)would doom the 5th gen by orders of magnitude over the amount of buyers it would attract.

I'm not a track nut, but i do get there from time to time, and enjoy using my car when the situation presents itself as much as anybody. I'd go as far as MAYBE $5/lb for a car i use like this.

OTOH, if i was buying a V6 / base car as a daily driver, i wouldn't pay a single penny more to save weight.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:43 AM

Zero. Because I think GM is the best in the business at getting the weight down. They are class leaders in fuel economy in most classes of vehicles they produce, and a BIG part of that is weight control. I don't think the Camaro will be any fatter than it has to be.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:56 AM

Zero. I don't think I should have to pay more to get less.
I think the people that want the side curtain airbags and the heated 16 way power seats should be the ones paying more for those options.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by CLEAN
I don't think the Camaro will be any fatter than it has to be.
Exactly.

What it ends up weighing will be the result of the best they can do while keeping costs in check and safety up to par.

Anybody who thinks GM isn't paying attention to weight is being simplistic. Let's not think weight is determined in a vacuum irrespective of other considerations.

We want a big V8
More upright seating
loaded with content
rear 1/4 windows
IRS
A drivetrain that won't snap at the dragstrip
ABS
traction control
side curtain airbags
some kind of T-roof
etc
etc
etc

and we still want it to weight 3100 lbs and be $23,995???? There's many insiders here (Guy probably the most of them) preaching realism during this process. That's good advice.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:10 AM

Good point Chris. Personally I'd stick w/ a live axle instead of IRS to save weight. One area to possibly cut costs, and weight. Personally I'd probably pay a premium for a lighter car. Could it be possible that w/ the proposed rumor out that the z28 be the top dog, they use some of the z06 type weight savings to get a lighter car instead of adding more w/ the added performance? Who knows. Just a thought I had. I race, so to me weight is a bigger deal than some people.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:11 AM

I would rather pay an extra $1000 for 30 more horsepower.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6
Exactly.

We want a big V8 <-already have that shouldn't add any weight.
More upright seating <-shorten nose raise roof, shouldn't add any weight.
loaded with content <-what interior options will it have that the old ones didn't that I care about. GPS and HUD should be optional.
rear 1/4 windows<-windows shouldn't weight more then the 2 layers of metal it reaplaces
IRS<-here's the one thing allowable to add weight
A drivetrain that won't snap at the dragstrip<-already have that LS1/t56/9-bolt(weighs the same as a 10)
ABS <-already an option on the lighter 4th gen. Why should it add wieght now
traction control<-also already an option. I'll take posi over some computer controlled traction control
side curtain airbags<-i could care less, better be an option
some kind of T-roof<-already exists on the lighter years
If I choose the same options that a 3rd or 4th gen had it should not weigh more then a 3rd or 4th gen.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron91RS
If I choose the same options that a 3rd or 4th gen had it should not weigh more then a 3rd or 4th gen.
On what logic do you assume this?

3rd gens didn't have airbags for the most part, or ABS, so that's weight right there that wasn't on the car 20 yrs ago. Now we're talking side airbags and the wiring and logic units to go along with them. 3rd gens didn't have traction control either.

What about side impact door beams? Front and rear bumper standards?

How about that IRS? Think it weighs the same as a GM 10 bolt?

ON average 4th gens were a tad heavier than 3rd gens, despite the extensive use of plastic body panels. Take away the plastic, replace it with sheetmetal and add side airbags and IRS and you should have what a 5th gen will weight at ballpark.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6
Going after a holy grail of weight at the expense of even $1000 added to the sticker could doom this car.
I agree. Jessica the receptionist probably won't care that her V6 Camaro weighs 100 lbs less, but will care if costs $1,000 more.

I'm sort of hoping for the tireless focus in effort to contain weight in general.

OTOH, I think enthusiasts would pay more for EXTRA weight savings on a specific model. This is more along the lines of what I was referring to actually. I'd doubt that we would see a Z06 level of effort or cost, but a little something that would be good for weight reduction and bragging rights would be good.

random car enthusiast:"Hey, is that a new Z/28"?

new Z/28 owner: "Yeah."

random car enthusiast: "That's the one with the magnesium engine cradle, right?"

new Z/28 owner: "Right".

Quick Reply: How much more per pound would you pay to reduce mass?