2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

How important is the Camaro to GM NA?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 08:47 PM

How important is the Camaro to GM NA?

Moot question, or worth merit?

Personally, I think it is very important - not just in terms of sales, but in terms of demonstrating that GM can some up with a hit, and compete.

...in terms of relevancy. Does GM just play catchup, or can they be best in class.

...in terms of reputation history. Can the Camaro name plate, which is legendary, be properly resurrected? Can GM even do what it used to do best - or will they be a shell of their former self? Think of Mike Tyson in his early years, versus his final years - completely incapable of doing that which made him famous to begin with.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:53 PM

Re: How important is the Camaro to GM NA?

I agree, it would create Chevy's third 'gotta have' product behind the C6 and the HHR. If (big if) the Malibu turns out to be as good of a car as rumored and the Impala goes back to being a big RWD car, then Chevy would have a pretty good lineup from the top-down car wise, along with a revamped truck and SUV lineup. Now GM just has to be able to limp until 2008 when all this stuff comes out.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:25 PM

^^^ Who exactly has bought an HHR? I drive quite a bit and I've seen 1 so far. Hideous too IMO
Old 12-25-2005, 10:51 PM

I agree, but still, I've seen at least 4 around here.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:22 PM

33,000 HHRs have been sold in four months. GM has a little hit on their hands here.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:34 PM

It's an extremely recognizable name, even with the 'mullet' stigma people associate it with. The folks who designed Gran Turismo 4 thought highly enough of it to state that it and the corvette are 2 of the 3 most recognizable coupes in the North American market. Even people who have no idea about them, especially ford fans, know of it being the sister car to what was in Smokey and the Bandit. Even people I work with know the name, even though some of them couldn't pick one out of a line of SUVs.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:19 AM

Well how important was the Camaro to GM even when it wasnt a hit...?

I currently sell Chevrolets, I currently own 2 pontiac Firebirds.

I was raised in a house of Toyotas...

I purchased my first car, my first firebird, on my shotgun experiance in my friends lt1 camaro... sure i didnt buy new... but I'm a loyal enthusiast now... i didnt even test drive my first car before i shelled out the money, thats how good my impression of the camaro lt1 was...

if the car is a hit, it will warent thousands of 2nd time buyers... that wont be camaros, but they'll be family cars when a camaro isnt practical any more... they'll be impala SS's or... corvettes, or Suburbans...

It doesnt matter how well it sells, it maters how the drivers appreciate the vehicle...
Old 12-26-2005, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by orbitalshock2k
^^^ Who exactly has bought an HHR? I drive quite a bit and I've seen 1 so far.
I see at least 3-4 a day. (And no they aren't the same ones as far as I can tell.)
Old 12-26-2005, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck!
33,000 HHRs have been sold in four months. GM has a little hit on their hands here.
honda has sold 65k civics in two months..............................in canada.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:14 AM

??? Moot.

I see lots of HHR's around here. And this usually isn't the area for something different like the HHR. Sad thing is the dealer is constantly out of them. Everytime I see one out on the lot, it's gone before I can get a chance to get in and look at it 2-3 days later.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:24 AM

HHRs appear to be selling even in Jersey, where nobody buys GM cars.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by orbitalshock2k
^^^ Who exactly has bought an HHR? I drive quite a bit and I've seen 1 so far. Hideous too IMO
I see tons of them. Maybe 6 per day...10 per day? I'm not sure, but LOTS. I think Chevy really hit a sweet spot with consumers.

But getting back to the importance of Camaro to GM. I think it is very important!

And I'm not just talking about the profits gained from selling the actual units...although that is important. A well done Camaro will create excitement for Chevy and GM. It will be on the cover of EVERY magazine. It will be discussed on every website. It will be benchraced at every cruise night/car show/ gearhead get together in the country.
People will come to Chevy dealers simply to see this new Camaro...even if they're not presently - or ever - in the market for one.....and who knows, they may see that Cobalt or Equinox that they would never have ever considered....and realize they like it.
People that buy Camaros have other vehicular needs, like a truck, SUV or sedan. It's a FACT that owning a Camaro makes these same people statistically more likely to make those additional vehiclular purchases Chevys.
And it's good for morale and energy creating excitement. Not just for people like us who are on the outside, although that is very important......but also for the people within GM who make ongoing decisions regarding the future Chevys we will buy.

I could go on and on.....

Is it GMT900 important? I don't know about that. I DO know that Camaro will be DAMNED important for Chevy and GM though.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:06 PM

I think we will find out in the next couple months - GM would announce if they plan on putting it in production. The SSR is the famous one that Wagoner told everybody at the auto show it was going to get built - before he told GMNA Engineering even! I think the Solstice production plans were announced at the auto show too, although maybe not specific dates.

-Geoff
Old 12-26-2005, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
I think we will find out in the next couple months - GM would announce if they plan on putting it in production. The SSR is the famous one that Wagoner told everybody at the auto show it was going to get built - before he told GMNA Engineering even! I think the Solstice production plans were announced at the auto show too, although maybe not specific dates.

-Geoff
...and therefore, how much is riding on the execution? Put it another way, what does it say about GM if they cannot build a muscle car? That's like posing the question of whether or not Toyota is capable of producing a Camry.

Muscle cars are the sole soverign of American Auto manufacturers - uniquely American. What if GM fails? What if they can't pull it off? Will GM's bread and butter become the fleet car - bland, mass produced Egg McMuffins?
Old 12-26-2005, 03:20 PM

I'll just say that if they can't get this car right, they might as well just hang it up and file for bankruptcy.

Of all GM cars, it seems to me that f-body owners are the most loyal and outspoken GM supporters, save for maybe the truck guys. I wonder what %age of Camaro/Firebird owners have another GM car.

Quick Reply: How important is the Camaro to GM NA?