2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's a VERY interesting read...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 09:09 AM
Admin Emeritus

Here's a VERY interesting read...

"If I knew then what I know now..."

http://money.cnn.com/1999/11/12/companies/gm/

Kinda strange reading that, and the reflecting on what we have been through since then. Hard to believe that was 6 years ago.

Another cool thing...scroll to the very bottom under "RELATED SITES".
Old 12-13-2005, 09:15 AM

Re: Here's a VERY interesting read...

Originally Posted by From Article
Analysts say it would make sense for GM to halt production of the cars, at least temporarily, and then bring them back with a major redesign a few years later on a platform that it could share with other models.
yeah.... I'll agree with that

Unfortunately "temporarily" = 6 years

Good find
Old 12-13-2005, 09:16 AM

Seems like it was yesterday to me.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:08 AM
Disciple

How about ...

"GM has too much car capacity and not enough truck capacity. Car plants are operating close to 70 percent capacity, while truck plants are close to 100 percent.
Some things do change.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:56 AM

has it really been that long...........great find Jason.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD

Another cool thing...scroll to the very bottom under "RELATED SITES".

Very cool!
Old 12-13-2005, 04:17 PM

I remember when that article came out. It forced me to look for my first house in earnest. I knew that I was going to be buying one of the last special edition models of the T/A, however it looked.
I remember specifically telling my agent that I needed at least a 2 car garage; one bay for my GP and the other for the T/A.
I ended up closing on the house on 6/16/00. I prepped the garage for the T/A and started saving.
I put a $500 deposit down on the upcoming special edition T/A in January '01. Nobody knew what it was to look like or content. Some stuff leaked out in April '01.
The order finally went thru on 8/30/01. The car was built on 10/11/01 and it was delivered to me on 11/26/01.
The rest is history.

So yeah, I do remember that article.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:31 PM

I DO remember that article...nice find

and what we know now and what was then...wow..

Lets do the time warp again...
Old 12-14-2005, 11:53 AM

I remember the exact 1/4 mile stretch I was driving along in my truck during a school commute at about 9:15am the day they announced on the radio that the last camaro rolled off the line. It was also pretty ironic they played '6 feet under' right after that. I was also following a classmates 35th anniversary SS at the time - my dream car.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:42 PM

It was pretty accurate for an article written ~3 years before production of the 4th-gens ended. I mean, it said production would continue through until September, 2002 ..... well, the last car rolled off the line on what, August 28th?? It also said they were planning on some "special editions" for 2002 ..... yep, we got those too.

It's about time GM made up for that huge mistake ... the F-bodies should never had died, but I just hope the resurrection more than makes up for it .
Old 12-16-2005, 10:54 PM

Wow they worked on the special edition stripe pkg for 3 years before it came out
Old 12-17-2005, 08:00 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed
Wow they worked on the special edition stripe pkg for 3 years before it came out
Correct. Part of that time was just finding money in the budget to do it. Everyone knew it was the last year for the car, so no one wanted to invest any money into it. Honestly, we were lucky to even get an anniversary car that year.

Then there was the testing of the wheel, since it had been altered it probably had to be re-validated. I myself even wonder if they had to crash test the car again simply becuase they added stripes to the hood and the rear deck lid. Federal safety standards are pretty particular.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:30 PM

"It's had so much plastic surgery, it's not even recognizable any more," he said. "I could put a Corolla out there tomorrow and call it a Camaro, it's not going to make it a better car."

Dumbest quote ever
Old 12-17-2005, 08:25 PM

1.)"I think the SUVs trend has taken over," he said.
But Lache disagrees with the enthusiasts.
2.) He says the current models are a pale imitation of the break-through cars of earlier years.
3.)"It's had so much plastic surgery, it's not even recognizable any more," he said. "I could put a Corolla out there tomorrow and call it a Camaro, it's not going to make it a better car."
I would've said "Geo Storm" rather than Corolla...j/k...
I think that about covers 3 of the biggest symptoms of its terminal illness...just not why it was allowed to happen.
BTW, by the 2002 model, (..liked the front end!) I could see hints of better designs to come...I wonder how close it would've been to a C6 style evolution by now, if it hadn't of died?
Old 12-18-2005, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Correct. Part of that time was just finding money in the budget to do it. Everyone knew it was the last year for the car, so no one wanted to invest any money into it. Honestly, we were lucky to even get an anniversary car that year.

Then there was the testing of the wheel, since it had been altered it probably had to be re-validated. I myself even wonder if they had to crash test the car again simply becuase they added stripes to the hood and the rear deck lid. Federal safety standards are pretty particular.
Yes I know the whole story, we were really lucky to get those cars, if it weren't for RP, they probably wouldn't have been produced.

Quick Reply: Here's a VERY interesting read...