2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Here's a great idea... Hybrid Camaro!

Old 05-30-2007, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
I believe that the Prius charging system is specifically optimized to ensure long battery life. It's a much more controlled charge (and discharge) than just putting a drill or cell phone on a charger.

The battery prices are coming down a lot and will continue to do so as the technology matures. I'm not saying it's not a problem at all, but I don't think it will end up being that big of a deal in the long run. I think the Prius batteries have gone from like $10,000 to $2,000 in a handful of years. The hybrid components and battery are warranted for 8 years/100,000 miles.

I would seriously consider a hybrid Camaro if it was priced somewhere between a regular V6 and a V8 and had good performance and gas mileage.
The problem with batteries is that the tree huggers have forced the manufacturers to use chemicals that break down over time so they don't sit in land fills. Unfortunately, they break down while you are still using them.

Consumer reports has recently published a study showing that hybrid cars cost more to operate over the life of the vehicle. Why would anyone buy a technology that does not last and costs more to operate? The only reason I could see was if you believe the hype about man-made global warming which all credible scientists have disproven.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:22 PM

I don't care as much about global warming as I do about paying a lot of money for gas. If offered a Camaro that got 20 or 30 mpg in the city and still had at least 300 to 350 hp, I'd be interested.

The new Camaro will be my daily driver, and the old ones will be my weekend toys and garage queens. So... yeah, I wouldn't mind making some great gas mileage, and I'm certainly not wasting my time buying a cheap Camaro with a V6. I order them with what I want, so I don't have to waste my time and money changing parts. V8 or nothing. Leather or nothing. (Hopefully) Paddle shifters and GPS or nothing.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:56 PM

I am with you as long as the car is cheaper to operate in the long run. 30mpg doesn't mean much if you have to lay out 5K in 5 years to replace batteries. You can keep the GPS too. It's just an unnecessary toy. I have used different ones for years and even with the real time traffic updates, they are rarely accurate enough to be useful. Just something else to fix when it breaks.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by SweetZRag
Consumer reports has recently published a study showing that hybrid cars cost more to operate over the life of the vehicle. Why would anyone buy a technology that does not last and costs more to operate? The only reason I could see was if you believe the hype about man-made global warming which all credible scientists have disproven.
Research has been done time and time again that those facts are.... facts. Hybrids are more expensive to own and operate than non versions up to this point, though that is going to change. The stigma of "saving gas and thusly saving money" still holds true though, despite that is proven. ITS Davies did a study showing many hybrid buyers bought their cars for fiscal financial reasons, but never actually looked at the numbers.

The other chunk of buyers does it for the ethical "green happy mother earth" concept --- and some of those do it so that the public sees them in a hybrid (Stories of celebrities with a Prius and a Ferrari or Lambo are quite true)

But as was previously said, hybrid is starting to also mean "performance" and that is going to change things.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:50 AM

Actually i pm'd Scott about six weeks ago about a hybrid Camaro. He said "not officially, but you never know." I think it would be great. Imaging the publicity if they launched it as a hybrid? I wish GM wasn't always a step or two behind.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by azfan
Actually i pm'd Scott about six weeks ago about a hybrid Camaro. He said "not officially, but you never know." I think it would be great. Imaging the publicity if they launched it as a hybrid? I wish GM wasn't always a step or two behind.
I kind of think that maybe part of the reason sales are so far away is not just re-tooling and design, but designing the possibility of these options. I think they would be remembered as offering the first muscle hybrid car. I am an Electrical Engineer and have studied the controls and integration of the two motors. It is amazing frankly. And the best way to incorporate new tangents from the technology would be to offer it in a model spectrum where people aren't afraid to look under the hood and get their hands dirty. I'm not saying it is gonna happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if it came out.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Brangeta
I don't care as much about global warming as I do about paying a lot of money for gas. If offered a Camaro that got 20 or 30 mpg in the city and still had at least 300 to 350 hp, I'd be interested.

The new Camaro will be my daily driver, and the old ones will be my weekend toys and garage queens. So... yeah, I wouldn't mind making some great gas mileage, and I'm certainly not wasting my time buying a cheap Camaro with a V6. I order them with what I want, so I don't have to waste my time and money changing parts. V8 or nothing. Leather or nothing. (Hopefully) Paddle shifters and GPS or nothing.
Paddle shifters would be cool. Especially on a v8.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:22 PM

I would still rather have my V8 over a hybrid.... yes having a hybrid version of the Camaro would bring down insurance.... (major plus)... but the new Camaro is already rummured to have over 28-30 highway miliage range....

I also like to put on after market headers and exhaust and pull next to a hybrid and go "smell that...... HP!!!!!!!!!!!!" HAHAHA (did that once in my Formula)

Last edited by BrianF; 06-28-2007 at 03:23 PM. Reason: miss spelled words.