2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is GM on the verge of creating "Camaro fatigue"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 11:53 AM

Chevy is in a difficult spot here. Since the competition will be coming out with some exciting products in the near future (yes, there is other competition besides the Mustang), it has to try to ride the wave of interest as long as it can so people will wait until the Camaro comes out and not buy a competitor's product first. The problem is it can also backfire for some people who are too impatient.

So, do they have the potential to generate "fatigue" -- yes (let's not downplay how important the enthusiast and journalists are to the initial launch). Are they there yet? I don't think so as they keep coming up with different versions (vert, BumbleBee, etc.).

But, if they play up the existing cars too much over the next two years, I think it could become tiresome. However, if they keep coming up with different versions to keep it fresh, I think they could keep interest (among enthusiasts) high until launch.

After all, we still have a loooong way to go before we can actually buy one, and a LOT can happen in that time.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:11 PM

A photo of the convertible is the wallpaper on my work computer. Within the past few days two co-workers, neither of whom are Camaro enthusiasts, have come up to my desk and commented on how cool the car looks. One even asked to see more photos.

Market fatigue doesn't seem to be in any way a viable concern.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Shellhead
I agree with this - I think the only people afraid of saturation are the automotive guys/gals who've seen the car all over the place. I co-worker of mine (and we work at an automotive supplier) asked me about the Camaro when he saw my wallpaper (a 'vert pic I took myself at the NAIAS). He didn't know when it was coming out, didn't know GM was targeting Rustang prices and wasn't even sure that it was the Camaro - and this was a good 5 months after the show! To top it off, his wife LOVES the look of the new Camaro and the car would fit their lifestyle better in a couple of years. So if a prospective buyer who works in the automotive industry doesn't know the car or details about it, I'd say GM's marketing is just about right.
I actually said something about the Camaro to a Sgt. at work today. I think his reaction is a good indicator what the general public knows about the Camaro.

He didn't even know they'd stopped making the Camaro in 2002. He had NO idea it was coming back (especially considering he didn't know it'd gone on hiatus). When I said something about it he just asked if it was being redesigned or something for me to be so interested. He'd never seen the Concept, obviously.

So I showed him some pics. Needless to say he liked. I don't think he's a prospective buyer, but I think it is a good example of what a LOT of the public knows about Camaro.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by LoveMT
A photo of the convertible is the wallpaper on my work computer. Within the past few days two co-workers, neither of whom are Camaro enthusiasts, have come up to my desk and commented on how cool the car looks. One even asked to see more photos.

Market fatigue doesn't seem to be in any way a viable concern.
I have the Camaro as my desktop, as well as various images as my screen saver.

Unfortunately 2 of the 5 people I work with (all women) are Mustang women (though they do think the Camaro looks nice). The other 3 couldn't care less. LOL

And a couple other women just say it looks like a Mustang.

On the other hand, the males at work like the car a lot and I get asked about it whenever someone new sees my computer. But their info/exposure is EXTREMELY minimal aside from my computer.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gripenfelter
My wife, for instance, thought GM had killed it a while back until she heard they came out with a vert version.

She probably won't hear anything else about it till the Transformers movie.
take it, you and your wife dont talk much... j/k
Old 06-08-2007, 09:50 PM

Well I don't think out side enthusiast the Camaro has even made a ripple.

Starting July 4 the cars awareness will cross over into the general public with the Transformer movie. I think GM reallly got lucky to be involved in this movie as it will make a big splash and be one if not the biggest movie of the year. I just saw may of the new toys on the shelf here in California and they are maked with the proper GM names. [Sorry I have not seen the Camaro yet but did find a black Hot Wheel]

I see the media building till the intro in Detroit next yeat of the production model. The key will be to make this car be on time for the planned intro GM can not afford to be late on this. Makeing people wait longer is like making falks at a cars show wait two more hours for the award when they have been at the show all day.

So GM please get it right and on time!
Old 06-09-2007, 01:34 AM

I honestly do not think they're going to release it, I really don't....All bark no bite
Old 06-10-2007, 06:54 AM

I believe the car will go on sale in 14 months, not 20.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:42 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by km9v
I'm certainly getting impatient. I think GM is taking too long to get the Camaro out. Lots of buzz has been generated, but if you don't deliver, the general population will sway w/ the wind. I'm glad they want to do the car right. But they will miss the wave of interest once the transformers movie comes out.

For what it's worth --- we've already stated that the car will go into production in the 4th quarter of 2008 and be in showrooms in early 2009......

......interesting in that I seemed to have found files on the 67---- and the
5th gen will actually be completed in less time than the 67......

Now - some of you may say "so what?" -- that was 1967 and it takes less time to design, engineer and build a car today than it did back then....and to you I say -- no -- not necessarily -- cars (and trucks) are much more complex --

This car MUST be right -- or it cannot be released to the public -- simple as that.

Believe me -- this business has NEVER been this cut-throat -- and if we could do it faster, we would -- believe me, we would.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by 95Z28LT1-PA
I honestly do not think they're going to release it, I really don't....All bark no bite
LOL, against the multitude of evidence contrary to your comment.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:14 PM
Banned

GM should put it out earlier, they will commit the same mistake they did with the SSR & HHR. The PT Cruiser dominated the market, so will the Challenger. It needs to be out now.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:59 PM

To those that want it out faster, the plant thats gonna build it isnt even ready yet so nix that. No place to build it=no car. I agree with the others, theres still lots of people out there that dont even know a Camaro is coming back or else very little. We know it bc we check almost daily on Camaro news. This car is gonna hit the market like a storm so just sit back and enjoy guys, sheesh.

Originally Posted by MENEGRANDE
GM should put it out earlier, they will commit the same mistake they did with the SSR & HHR. The PT Cruiser dominated the market, so will the Challenger. It needs to be out now.
The SSR was a niche vehicle, not meant for volume sales so no mistake there. Last I checked the HHR was holding its own just fine and the Challenger is slated for a 30k a year run at least at start. Hardly market dominance. The sky is not falling people Christ!
Old 06-10-2007, 04:12 PM

Its going to be a lose/lose situation for GM either way.

If they promote the hell out of this car, as they have been, there will be people saying it is going to be tired and dated once it hits dealership showrooms (I disagree)

On the other hand, people would be bitching and moaning if GM simply said nothing about it and we saw no new action coming from the board. People would complain that the Camaro will be forgotten and all of that nonsense.

So all together, I dont think that too much or too little is going to stop anyone from wanting this car when it comes to dealerships. The PT Cruiser has been for sale and hardly changed for a decade and in all of it's horrible glory, the thing still sells. So with that being said, is anyone really going to jump ship on the Camaro when it comes out and say to hell with it because it's recieving alot of attention for the few years prior to it's release? I doubt it!
Old 06-10-2007, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
This car MUST be right -- or it cannot be released to the public -- simple as that.

Believe me -- this business has NEVER been this cut-throat -- and if we could do it faster, we would -- believe me, we would.
Hopefully they are taking a little more care then Pontiac did with the Solstice. That was rushed from concept to production as well and it showed in the first 1000. There were many fit and finish issues. Panel spacing and roof wrinkles to name a few. Overall I was happy with it but I think a little more care could have been taken to ensure that these were without issues. Especially the first 1000 which would be collectible. I was also a little disappointed with the quality of the plastic used on the interior. Hard and unforgiving. Hopefully the Camaro won't need to take similar shortcuts to stay under budget.

I'm really looking forward to Chevy releasing some more info on the production Camaro.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:25 PM

I think GM is on the verge of creating camaro fatigue if not already there. 2006 rolled around and the concept rolls out at the NAIAS, I go to school in Detroit and went to the autoshow for 4 days to look at specifically ONE car-Camaro. That silver concept was in a few short words...Bada$#, pure and American. Its 2007 now and once again I rolled to the autoshow this year, saw the vert and to be honest with you, I saw only about half the crowd or less gawking at this camaro vs. the silver coupe concept.

It may be based on the fact that 2006 NAIAS was very anticipated and this was simply a follow up, or a coupe preference, but my point is the Camaro concept in my opinion is getting played out and old. Its a Beautiful car and I love it but... It's concept to production phase is dragging on too long. As for the people saying well the general public isn't sure about the Camaros return, and will be doing back flips when it returns... the general public knows more then most car guys assume. It's 2007 and the Camaro should be here NOW. If GM played this smart and had the concept out in 2006 with production this year , I think the Camaro would be alot better off. I.E. 2003 Mustang concept-2004 Mustang production car is out

So fast forward 2 years to the begining of 2009... Challenger is already out and Muscle car fans are on these as its finally a choice as opposed to buying a Mustang. Jan-feb. 2009 Camaro starts sales, already a good few months behind the Challenger in potential sales and customers. Ford meanwhile releases the Redesigned, Renginered and more powerful 2010 Mustang mid 2009. That looks strikingly close to the 2009 Camaro, all this finally with a good power plant 5.8-6.2 v-8 in the new Mustang and a good sized Hemi in the Challenger the new Camaro won't be looked to as the ideal choice in power anymore for enthusist. As for design it's subjective, but the new Mustang won't be a wimp looking car in the design department thanks to the Camaro showing its face in 2006 in part giving Ford and many other competitors a glimpse of what GM is bringing and time to redesign an even better, more eye catching design then the new Camaro. Along with this you have the Challenger which screams muscle plain and simple.

My main point is If GM had released the Camaro right now summer 2007 they would of had a sling shot effect in sales and heres why. The new Camaro right now is fresh, bold and new. With a Ls2 or Ls3 the Camaro would be hands down a better choice to the Mustang GT. It'd be with no doubt faster, better handling, braking etc...not only with power, but with design, IRS and simply put a breath of fresh air to the current somewhat not as eye catching as the Camaro concept Mustang. The Camaro released now or 2008 Jan. would have a leg up on ALL of the competition. When 2009 finally rolls around the competition will have finished there studying up on the Camaro and the ball field will be extremely level and the Camaro in my opinion will NOT stand out to the general public neither in design, power or handling. Giving your potenial customers an early look at the future is great. Giving your known competitors a look at the future is NOT. 2006-2009=too much time.

Either way I'm still very excited to own one in 2009, just wish the Camaro had a place to be assembled right now.

Last edited by CamaroZ282008; 06-10-2007 at 06:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Is GM on the verge of creating "Camaro fatigue"?