2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM: Please give me a normal radio!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 10:13 AM

GM: Please give me a normal radio!

One thing that I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with, is the OEM's overwhelming desire to make it harder and harder for guys like me to dump the stock junk stereo in favor for much better sounding aftermarket stuff. Toyota has found great sucess with their Scions partly due to their support of add-ons and the aftermarket. They were wise to see that their target buyer (young guys... just like the target buyers of the Camaro) wants this customization ability beyond what just the factory will offer. It is very important for me that GM not play the silly games with their radios, such as integrated HVAC controls, separately located displays and controls, airbag features (what is that nonsense!?), etc. Leave the radio alone so that we can do as we please with them.

While I'm on this kick, make this car mod-friendly all around, not just the radio. A very large percentage of these cars will be modded to some extent... please make it mod friendly. I love that the concept has the engine under the hood instead of under the cowl. Take it one step farther and give us ample room around the engine for headers, and just general servicability.

Thanks for listening.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:27 AM
Admin Emeritus

Re: GM: Please give me a normal radio!

Great point, I think about this often but I wouldn't count on changing things getting any easier.

With factory OnStar, XM, factory CD changers, etc. more and more things are integrated into one central unit for ease of manufacturing and being cost effective. This will make changing things out for aftermarket stuff very difficult. Hopefully, the offerings from the manufacturer will increase to meet the demand for personalization and customization.

As far as performance modifications? I don't know...but I will bring it up if/when I talk to one of the engineers again. We always seem to find a way around that no matter what.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:39 AM

I would just like to be able to order my Camaro the way I want it. It would be nice to be able to order it without on-star, XM, leather seats, etc etc...
Old 01-13-2006, 10:41 AM

I agree, just give me a single-din stereo so I can replace it in the future!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2006, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by johnsocal
I agree, just give me a single-din stereo so I can replace it in the future!!!!!!!!!!!!

they do make double dins ya know? Some are pretty nice too.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:32 AM

I am sure we will get a more "normal" radio than what is showed in the concept, however I expect it will still integrate a CD changer, On-Star (because there's no way for the On-Star advisor to talk to you without the radio!!!), XM of course, and maybe even an on-board computer, like in the G6.

Scions can get away with it because they are cheap. Other than optional XM and a 6 CD, there is nothing like On-Star or on-board computers to get in the way.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:18 PM

GM wont give us an easily replaceable radio. All GM radios are standard with RDS (Radio Data System). Due to this a lot of normal car functions are tied to the radio like door chimes, airbags etc. The aftermarket already supplies the harness to get around it but its not very cheap. We'll be able to get around GM's engineers but at an expense. Same with performance mods but its much easier for the engineers to let us play with that as much as we want. But will they? They better. As far as the radio goes, as long as MP3/WAV/WMA playback is standard and the overall sound is good from the audio system then there's no problem. This is one of my very few problems with my Cobalt - no MP3 playback. It should be standard by now without question. A 6CD indash MP3 radio would be my choice. Even when you put 130 songs on a CD, for many people 1 CD is not enough. Hence iPods. Add an auxilary input on the front like the HHR and THEN I'll be happy.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:00 PM

OK, I don't think you guys are thinking outside of the box,

Why don't they just have a "Command Center" somewhere close to the radio that can handle all of these tasks that allows the stereo to be replacable? Seriously, I'm not a stereo guy like a lot of people are but I can see this guys point. This car HAS TO HAVE FLEXIBILITY IN MIND! if it doesn't it will make things harder on sales in the long run.

I can see a command center becomming a very popular part of the car (or any car/truck for that matter). They could take this to Extreme levels, besides things to control the car that are normally located in the radio they could include the controls for Onstar, XM, IPOD, USB Ports?, Internet connection, navigation control and how about a plug in for a Palm? this would display where your navigation is so that you could have your calendar on screen or appointments, notes, numbers, anything...

I'm not saying all of those things need to be on Camaro but I think it would be a very popular part of the interior and doesn't mess with ones ability to modify the interior!
Old 01-13-2006, 03:57 PM

I too wish that GM would get away from the integrated radio BS. As an installer it's very hard to convince a customer that in order to use their $150 MP3 Player in their Cavalier they need to shell out another $100 to get the factory chimes.

We bought an '05 G6 GT back in Sept, one of the first things that we had trouble with was the in dash 6 disc changer. GM's excuse was that the unit doesn't always work with burnt discs... they suggest using store bought CDs. What kind of head unit now-a-days has issues with home made discs? I wonder if they tell owners of the MP3 HU's that burnt discs won't work in them

Anyways, enough ranting. I say put in a DIN unit like the Aveo/Wave, Optra & Epica. Sure they may be rebadged Daewoo cars, but they're sold as GM's
Old 01-13-2006, 04:29 PM

Unless GM totally changes their current LAN system , its just not gonna happen . With cars getting more complicated electronically , it is unlikely its going to be getting any simpler .
Old 01-13-2006, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by ADV1
OK, I don't think you guys are thinking outside of the box,

Why don't they just have a "Command Center" somewhere <snip>
The issue with many companies is the push is toward integration, and customization suffers for the sake of simplicity for the end user.

If anyone needs to see this concept gone horribly wrong, go hop in a BMW 5 or 7 series. They intended to clean up the dash and integrate/simplify things and created a true monster/POS (the iDrive system). I wouldn't be surprised to see more companies moving toward these type of systems that, in an attmept to streamline, create systems that truly suck.

I just hope GM produces a clean interior that can be upgraded, with cues from the 'Vette.

Allen
Old 01-13-2006, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by 5thGen
they do make double dins ya know? Some are pretty nice too.
Not like they use too. There use to be way more double-din options 10 years ago but since so many car manufacturers have gone away from double dins there are fewer aftermarket companies making them as well.

Im afraid as car manufacturers trend towards integrated stereo systems it will put more aftermarket companies out of business and reduce our options even more.

On the otherhand OEM stereos have improved significantly over the last 10 years to the point that the 'masses' could care less about aftermarket options.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:52 PM

Maybe they should offer a factory receiver/command center that has plenty of power, pre-amp outputs, etc. Basically make it so an aftermarket unit wouldn't even be beneficial. Of course then I guess the aftermarket would just come out with something better. Come to think of it, even my '99 Ram came with a pretty good sounding stereo. The only reason I got a new receiver is so I'd have a cd player.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:22 PM

eh not worried about it, i'll just get a line driver.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:25 PM

Personally, I can't stand "integrated audio" and I'll tell you why.

I used to have an '88 GM pickup with an integrated radio and separate cassette player. The cassette player was a piece of junk that quit working every 12 months. I then had to pay $150 to fix the piece of crap. My other option was to replace the cassette player with a radio that was hoplessly out of driver's reach and then I would end up with TWO RADIOS. What a brilliant concept. If it was just a regular radio, I could have got a totally fancy new one for $150.

All these new cars with the integrated audio...I hope it doesn't break. It's probably $600 to fix now, and you'll be stuck with whatever for the life of the car. If they switch to digital FM, you'll be SOL. Want to hook up your new Ipod (or whatever is 5 years down the road)? Forgetaboutit.

Quick Reply: GM: Please give me a normal radio!