2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

GM Performance Parts To Offer $7,000 Body-In-White New Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 02:28 AM

GM Performance Parts To Offer $7,000 Body-In-White New Camaro

http://jalopnik.com/5117896/gm-perfo...ite-new-camaro

Do you want to build your very own Camaro GS Racer featured at this year’s SEMA show? GM Performance Parts has the answer for you with the new $7,000 2010 Chevy Camaro body-in-white.

Starting early next year, GM Performance Parts will begin offering the 2010 Chevy Camaro body-in-white in their catalog. Marketed towards the competition racer set, the 2010 Camaro body-in-white will save both time and money. The package includes an assembled body structure, including front fenders, hood, front fascia, grille, roof, doors, rear quarter panels, trunk lid, rear fascia, complete floorpan and chassis rails. The cost of the package will run you $7,000, a far cry from the up-level SS model that would see the removal of 90% of its original content.

The parts needed to complete the package will include a powertrain, fuel system, suspension, interior components, glass and safety equipment. GM Performance Parts offers many of these parts through its online catalog and with such a large assortment of crate engine options listed on the GM Performance Parts website, it’ll be interesting to see what some of the grassroots racers will shoehorn between the rails of their build-your-own muscle car. Our ideal setup would be either the 6.2-liter supercharged LS9 or the brutal ZZ572/720R drag unit with its 572 cu. in. and 720 HP and 685 lb-ft of brute force.

GM Performance Parts Press Release:

Grand Blanc, Mich. – Racers who want to slip into something more fashionable at the
track next year will find the 2010 Camaro is just their size. GM Performance Parts will offer body in white packages of the new Camaro starting in the first quarter of 2009. The basic package lists for $7,000 and includes an assembled body structure, including the front fenders, hood, front valance/grille header panel, roof, doors, rear quarters, trunk lid and rear valance. The structure also includes the complete floorpans and chassis rails.

Racer must fill out an online application to be eligible to purchase one. The form is available at www.gmperformanceparts.com. Bodies will be sold on a first-come, first-serve basis. There is no limit to the number an approved racing team can purchase.

“This is the easiest and most cost-effective way to build a race-ready new Camaro,” said Dr. Jamie Meyer, of GM Performance Parts. “We envision racers using these bodies for all types of competition, from Pro Street and Competition drag racing to road racing.” The body in white includes only a painted body shell and no additional components or materials. The bodies do not have vehicle identification numbers, so they may only be used as racing vehicles that will never be licensed for street driving.

Racers will add powertrain, fuel system, suspension, interior components and glass (or sanctioning body-approved alternative), and safety equipment, then go racing.

“For the racers who would strip down the entire car and replace most of the components with racing-spec parts, the body in white saves time and money,” said Dr. Meyer. “Drag racers, for example, won’t have to worry about swapping out for a solid axle – they can just bolt one up and go.”
Old 12-27-2008, 11:19 AM

Well, I guess this should help everyone who kept asking for a stripped Camaro from losing anymore sleep at night. Talk about stripped...

Have any other auto manufacturers done this is the past?

Last edited by toegead93; 12-27-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by toegead93
Well, I guess this should help everyone who kept asking for a stripped Camaro from losing anymore sleep at night. Talk about stripped...

Have any other auto manufacturers done this is the past?
No VIN's are being assigned to these vehicles though, so not street legal.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:11 PM

Hah I first thought that they were going to offer the Camaro in white for first production run when I read this.. and thought that it would cost $7k just for white paint
Old 12-27-2008, 04:15 PM

I think Dodge did something similar with the challenger but offered turn key models.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gripenfelter
I think Dodge did something similar with the challenger but offered turn key models.
that was one hell of alot better package......

you got a great base for a car at a great price for nhra stock or super stock....

that body would cost you 100k to build.... not to mention no fast drag cars would use it anyway, they would just get a fiberglass or carbon body.....

they should offer it in a roller or a cheap *** base model. 7k is not a good deal for some body parts.....

you can go get any old junk car to build a race car, a mustang or 4th gen body etc. I don't see why anyone would spend 7k. for a body. not to mention they aren't going to give anyone any sponsorship anyway...

bad idea.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:50 PM

Why can't you get a VIN thru the DMV that says "homemade"?
My friend built a dune buggy and got a title and registration that was marked "homemade". They also gave hime the VIN. That was in NY state.

Can't see why you couldn't do that with one of these Camaros.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by HuJass
My friend built a dune buggy and got a title and registration that was marked "homemade". They also gave hime the VIN. That was in NY state.

in a lot of states you probably could. in GA it would registered as a kit car or something like that.

hardest thing would be insuring it maybe??
Old 12-28-2008, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by HuJass

If I remember right, you have to have some sort of insurance umbrella policy for over a million dollars if you want to run a 'homemade' vehicle on the street. At least that's how it is here in Minnesota.