2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM: Help keep new Camaro price down, make Onstar an option

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 11:47 PM

GM made a promise to put OnStar and stabilitrac in all vehicles as standard by 07 or 08?
I think it will just be cheaper for GM to intergrate the electronics on the OnStar system and share it across the Zeta board.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
GM made a promise to put OnStar and stabilitrac in all vehicles as standard by 07 or 08?
I think it will just be cheaper for GM to intergrate the electronics on the OnStar system and share it across the Zeta board.
good thing I have wire cutters then...
Old 04-24-2007, 10:37 AM

They only care about you if you pay the subscription fee. You get your first year, and thats it. You can chose to go foward, or decide not to do it.
IMO, I think it would be a good idea for GM to keep the accident notification on all the time, despite subscription, as a basic saftey thing. I dont know if OnStar can handle that kind of load of keeping an eye on all the cars with Onstart, but if its possible, it would benift them in the long run as a saftey aid.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by DvBoard
Keep it as an option. I will not pay for someone to be watching over the sholder.
I heard that. Keep that other crap off too, stabiilty control abs ect...............
Old 04-27-2007, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by fastball
The only way that could be possible is if On Star used satellites instead of line of sight cell networks. If that were the case, every car would have a satellite dish on the roof. So to answer your question, no, there will be pockets accross the country where On Star will not work.

I've had Verizon for almost two years, and I will say on their behalf they do have the best network I've ever used, and I've had a cell phone since 1999. I first had the old AT&T wireless which was awfull. Then when they switched to Cingular they droped me (long story), so I switched to Sprint which was even worse. I droped them and went with Verizon simply because most of my friends and family had them and you get unlimited minutes in network. I have never had a call drop, could always make or receive a call no matter where I was (I do alot of traveling), and the quality has been crystal clear. I will remain a Verizon customer.

HOWEVER, that does not guarantee that the phone works in the bottom of the Grand Canyon or at the highest peaks of the Rockies or in the middle of Montana. For any cell phone to work there must be a line of sight signal antenna somewhere within a couple of mile radius of where you are located. On Star is no different than any CDMA Verizon cell phone.
My GPS integrated in my cell phone has no problem working with satellites, and I assure you I don't have a big satellite dish on my back. The phone doesn't even have an external antenna. And I also know that cell phone signals will travel further than a couple miles radius of you. This is especially true of the analog, at least historically speaking. But that's dying, down with CDMA, GSM all the way. I love being able to travel to pretty much any country and use my T-Mobile, all I had to do was activate international calling.

CDMA has around 60 million users worldwide, compared to GSM which has over a billion, now who has the largest network Verizon? HAHAHAAHAH

Maybe if cell phone companies here in the US didn't stick to an inferior CDMA network we would have some 3G or Edge support here in the states. For all of you travellers out there, that would mean you can hook up your laptop to your cell phone and have broadband internet anywhere you get signal.

Last edited by jaguar5822; 04-27-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by fastball
HOWEVER, that does not guarantee that the phone works in the bottom of the Grand Canyon or at the highest peaks of the Rockies or in the middle of Montana. For any cell phone to work there must be a line of sight signal antenna somewhere within a couple of mile radius of where you are located. On Star is no different than any CDMA Verizon cell phone.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but OnStar still does Analog fallback if there's no digital signal. That will get you significantly more range over a digital-only handset. (At least until next year when they turn analog off.)

As for coverage, Verizon is generally better on the east coast, Cingular on the west coast. CDMA I believe has slightly longer range than GSM, but you are stuck with a crappy US-only phone that only works with one provider.

2.5G/3G is really a separate issue -- Sprint probably has the largest high-speed network and they are CDMA.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:05 PM

i dont care what they put on it.. more the better... as long as its affordable why not make it technically superior also? why you guys want to keep the camaro in the 90s ( as long as its affordable)

and you want to know why we have a red neck lable...

Last edited by Klypto; 04-28-2007 at 03:43 AM.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:35 PM

Yeah, there's a lot of cool things they could do with onstar. But right now it's pretty much a cellphone that's hardwired to only dial one number.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by flowmotion
Correct me if I'm wrong, but OnStar still does Analog fallback if there's no digital signal. That will get you significantly more range over a digital-only handset. (At least until next year when they turn analog off.)

As for coverage, Verizon is generally better on the east coast, Cingular on the west coast. CDMA I believe has slightly longer range than GSM, but you are stuck with a crappy US-only phone that only works with one provider.

2.5G/3G is really a separate issue -- Sprint probably has the largest high-speed network and they are CDMA.
I would guess that all OnStar equipped cars built 2004 and after use analog and digital, but I don't know for sure. I do know all 2003 and older models are analog only and will loose all OnStar function when Verizon makes the switch next year.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by JCS30TH
I heard that. Keep that other crap off too, stabiilty control abs ect...............
um why? Everything you listed helps performance...
Old 04-28-2007, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
um why? Everything you listed helps performance...
Stability control doesn't help performance. It just makes it less likely to get screwed in some dumbass maneuver. ABS is debatable. Given a racecar driver, I would say it doesn't help at all, but despite what everyone believes about themselves, not everyone is a racecar driver, so ABS is probably a good thing.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by RussStang
Stability control doesn't help performance. It just makes it less likely to get screwed in some dumbass maneuver. ABS is debatable. Given a racecar driver, I would say it doesn't help at all, but despite what everyone believes about themselves, not everyone is a racecar driver, so ABS is probably a good thing.
If you have ever had the opportunity to test ABS under full panic stop conditions at highway speeds in a crash situation, you will quickly realize that ABS is far more than "probably a good thing". The first time I tried this to avoid a collision I was simply amazed at how well my Jimmy responded, no wheel lock, no wheel hop, no skidding, just a quick controlled slowdown. The second time the ABS performed just as well, just not enough distance to miss the idiot that pulled out in front of me, t-boned them and totaled the Jimmy (which we replaced with a Blazer). I think ABS does a superb job and cannot imagine anyone not wanting it on their Camaro, all of my vehicles are ABS equipped.
Clyde
Old 04-28-2007, 10:46 AM

I have been in situations where ABS has helped a lot. I believe my post stated ABS was a good idea, so I don't know what you are trying to prove with your post.

A good racecar driver can outbrake an ABS system with a technique called Threshold Braking. Maybe that is where your confusion is? ABS isn't designed necessarily to reduce braking distances (although by default it often will), it is designed to be able to give the driver control under a panic stop. ABS should be on every passenger car sold.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by RussStang
I have been in situations where ABS has helped a lot. I believe my post stated ABS was a good idea, so I don't know what you are trying to prove with your post.

A good racecar driver can outbrake an ABS system with a technique called Threshold Braking. Maybe that is where your confusion is? ABS isn't designed necessarily to reduce braking distances (although by default it often will), it is designed to be able to give the driver control under a panic stop. ABS should be on every passenger car sold.
ABS is a PITA, especially in snow. An ABS off button would be wonders. I can't count the number of times i've almost gotten into an accident due to the increased braking distance with ABS.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by DvBoard
ABS is a PITA, especially in snow. An ABS off button would be wonders. I can't count the number of times i've almost gotten into an accident due to the increased braking distance with ABS.
I've never had that problem
But then I can't remember the last time it snowed in FL. However, I can personally attest to the wonders of ABS in the rain!! The thing that really causes issues with my braking is the damn traction control. My brake pedal drops to the floor for no reason when the 'low trac' light comes on causing the car to lurch forward. I think it's more dangerous than helpfull and I am suprised it hasn't caused a serious accident yet. Did newer F-bodies have this problem too? I certainly hope it isn't an issue on the new one.

Last edited by toegead93; 04-28-2007 at 02:21 PM.

Quick Reply: GM: Help keep new Camaro price down, make Onstar an option