2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM: Help keep new Camaro price down, make Onstar an option

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 12:01 PM

I have never been able to get a straight answer on that question from a GM rep...

They're always like, "Yeah... if you were in a horrible crash they would probably help you out even if you didn't pay... I think... Maybe."

Im beggining to think its policy that they will and they just dont say that for fear of losing subscriptions... Im pretty sure an ambitious lawyer could make it very hard for them to explain that even if they're not contractually obligated too.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:27 PM

If you ran off a mountain road, down an embankment with no cell phone signal, and nobody saw it happen, and the wreck was not visible from the road, and you sustained injuries, then I would want Onstar. But as far as some broad calls me to remind me to change the oil or wants to know why I was parked in front of the whorehouse at 3 am, I'll pass.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Disciple

Originally Posted by GTOJack
If you ran off a mountain road, down an embankment with no cell phone signal,
Then OnStar isn't going to help you either. In order for it to work you need power, a cellular network and I'd think the GPS needs to be able to find some satellites.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:59 PM

When I declined additional minutes on the Onstar phone because I have a nationwide cell phone plan, the operator stated that the Onstar phone will work when there is no normal cell tower signal. It must go directly to satellite and skip the cell towers, but I dont know for sure.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:25 PM

If you ran off a mountain road, down an embankment with no cell phone signal, and nobody saw it happen, and the wreck was not visible from the road, and you sustained injuries, then I would want Onstar. But as far as some broad calls me to remind me to change the oil or wants to know why I was parked in front of the whorehouse at 3 am, I'll pass.
the problem with that scenario is, onstar uses cell technology doesnt it? so if no cell phone service no onstar?

i dunno, i could be wrong
Old 04-20-2007, 03:34 PM

OnStar is sattelite technology as far as I know. I work in the cell phone business and have never heard of anyones cell system being used to support OnStar. And I'm sure GM has not put up their own nationwide network of cellphone towers.

If it bounces off of cell towers that would really surprise me. What you may be referring to is a ground repeater that they use to bounce signals in areas where line of site is a problem like big cities where buildings and other things may block your signal.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Disciple

OnStar relies on existing cellular networks ...

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp...verage_map.jsp

OnStar service can't work unless your Car is in a place where we have an agreement with a wireless service provider for service in that area. OnStar service also can't work unless you're in a place where the wireless service provider we've hired for that area has coverage, network capacity, and reception when the service is needed, and technology that's compatible with the OnStar service. OnStar service that involves location information about your Car can't work unless GPS satellite signals are unobstructed and available in that place as well.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:57 PM

Keep it as an option. I will not pay for someone to be watching over the sholder.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:45 PM

I agree. I do not want On Star. Chances are, if they made it standard, I'd rip the rear view mirror out and put an auto-dimming one in.

And they BETTER not make the satellite radio antenna ugly, either. Honestly, I'd prefer NO antennas on my car (outside of the integrated radio antenna in the rear window).
Old 04-20-2007, 09:56 PM

OnStar generally uses Verizon CDMA, I believe.

Also, until 2004 or so, it was analog cellular, which is going be turned off in 2008.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:43 PM

So the OnStar operator was wrong to tell me the cars built in cell phone will work when I cant get a signal on my cell phone. I didnt tell her I use Cingular service. If OnStar uses Verizon, maybe it is possible to get a cell signal on the cars built in phone even if there is no signal on my cell phone. Or maybe she was getting behind on her bills and needed the commission money.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:43 AM

So the OnStar operator was wrong to tell me the cars built in cell phone will work when I cant get a signal on my cell phone. I didnt tell her I use Cingular service. If OnStar uses Verizon, maybe it is possible to get a cell signal on the cars built in phone even if there is no signal on my cell phone. Or maybe she was getting behind on her bills and needed the commission money.
The only way that could be possible is if On Star used satellites instead of line of sight cell networks. If that were the case, every car would have a satellite dish on the roof. So to answer your question, no, there will be pockets accross the country where On Star will not work.

I've had Verizon for almost two years, and I will say on their behalf they do have the best network I've ever used, and I've had a cell phone since 1999. I first had the old AT&T wireless which was awfull. Then when they switched to Cingular they droped me (long story), so I switched to Sprint which was even worse. I droped them and went with Verizon simply because most of my friends and family had them and you get unlimited minutes in network. I have never had a call drop, could always make or receive a call no matter where I was (I do alot of traveling), and the quality has been crystal clear. I will remain a Verizon customer.

HOWEVER, that does not guarantee that the phone works in the bottom of the Grand Canyon or at the highest peaks of the Rockies or in the middle of Montana. For any cell phone to work there must be a line of sight signal antenna somewhere within a couple of mile radius of where you are located. On Star is no different than any CDMA Verizon cell phone.

Last edited by fastball; 04-21-2007 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:26 AM

GM product guys do love ther gadgets. I on the other hand don't. I don't want a black Trans Am that talks back or can drive itself.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:37 PM

OnStar is in version 3.2 now. The next version will be able to tell what you had to eat when you fart in the vehicle.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisL
I dont know what the plans are for OnStar, but dont worry about the antenna. GM designed a sideview mirror that encloses one now. They started using it on the C6 a year or two ago.
I believe that was the XM antenna that got relocated.

Quick Reply: GM: Help keep new Camaro price down, make Onstar an option