2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

GM to Close (SOME) North American Operations in January

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ZZMike
Understand, this is the part that really scares me......

http://www.640toronto.com/Channels/R...spx?ID=1046361

I absolutely hope that this is not the case.
Well, Camaros are supposed to start rolling off the line in mid February, right when the idling is done. Perfect timing! Plus, I would guess that it's easier to change the tooling in a plant when it's idled, so that you don't have to work around active production. As I recall, they build the Impala there now. Six weeks of downtime will save a lot of costs while allowing dealerships to sell the Impalas that have already been built. I know my local dealership has at least a dozen.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
As has been pointed out in this forum many times, a bankrupt airline is not in any way like a bankrupt car maker. You purchase a plane ticket on a bankrupt airline and within a few hours your tie to it is over. A car is a major investment over the next few years of a person's life. That person wants to feel comfortable that warranties will be honored, parts will be available, etc. Would you get that comfort feeling from a bankrupt automaker?
Why are the airlines any less important than GM. Your 'purchase a plane ticket on a bankrupt airline and within a few hours your tie to it is over' theory is flawed. If United, Delta, Continental Usair etc. fail they will be replaced with British airways, Air France, Air India etc.

If the big three get access to the $700 billion, then other industries should also have access to it. This of course is not what that money is intended for.

Like I said it doesn't matter. Bush will give them the money. Things will be interesting in 09...
Old 12-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Admin Emeritus

That's a good question and you bring up a good point, but I think that the airlines do not employ a fraction of what the Big 3 do.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by embpic
Your 'purchase a plane ticket on a bankrupt airline and within a few hours your tie to it is over' theory is flawed. If United, Delta, Continental Usair etc. fail they will be replaced with British airways, Air France, Air India etc.
It's not flawed; you misunderstand.

The purchase of a plane ticket is not contingent on the airline from which you make the purchase continuing to operate for 3, 5, 7, or 10 years (typical lengths of auto manufacturer warranties) after your purchase.

A Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing is tantamount to the company admitting that, while they're going to do their best to stick around and come back from their own ashes, the immediate future is bleak, and anything is possible.

Say you buy an airplane ticket, two months in advance. Two weeks before your flight, the airline files Chapter 11. The odds are that your flight will still take place, and once it does, your investment in that airline is over. If they close their doors after your plane lands, no harm done.

On the other side of the coin, say you put in an order for a 2010 Camaro today (again, two months in advance of production). Let's say that GM files Chapter 11 on February 1st. Camaro production begins while the restructuring is taking place, and they build and deliver your Camaro. Great, right? If GM goes out of business in May, no big deal -- you got your Camaro. Right?

Not exactly. What happens when, in September, your nearly new LS3 engine spins a rod bearing? You take it in for warranty repairs. Oh, wait. GM went out of business, and there are no longer any GM car dealerships. You can take the car to an independent repair shop, but you're on your own to pay for the repairs.

There are not many people who are willing to purchase a brand new car without some assurance of quality in the form of a multi-year manufacturer's warranty.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
It's not flawed; you misunderstand.

The purchase of a plane ticket is not contingent on the airline from which you make the purchase continuing to operate for 3, 5, 7, or 10 years (typical lengths of auto manufacturer warranties) after your purchase.

A Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing is tantamount to the company admitting that, while they're going to do their best to stick around and come back from their own ashes, the immediate future is bleak, and anything is possible.

Say you buy an airplane ticket, two months in advance. Two weeks before your flight, the airline files Chapter 11. The odds are that your flight will still take place, and once it does, your investment in that airline is over. If they close their doors after your plane lands, no harm done.

On the other side of the coin, say you put in an order for a 2010 Camaro today (again, two months in advance of production). Let's say that GM files Chapter 11 on February 1st. Camaro production begins while the restructuring is taking place, and they build and deliver your Camaro. Great, right? If GM goes out of business in May, no big deal -- you got your Camaro. Right?

Not exactly. What happens when, in September, your nearly new LS3 engine spins a rod bearing? You take it in for warranty repairs. Oh, wait. GM went out of business, and there are no longer any GM car dealerships. You can take the car to an independent repair shop, but you're on your own to pay for the repairs.

There are not many people who are willing to purchase a brand new car without some assurance of quality in the form of a multi-year manufacturer's warranty.
Exactly. GM needs to be seen as a company that will stick around. While I agree that circumventing congress is against the core of what this country stands for, that country no longer exists in my opinion. I don't believe congress or government represents us in the slightest, and have even less faith that members of our government are actually intelligent human beings. This world has changed to a global economy and advanced so quickly that we are in a situation that we have never seen before. I have never talked to or seen so many experts absolutely clueless. So many could see it coming, nobody knew how to fix it or didn't want to while the cash flowed, now its out of control and no one knows where we are heading. Greed broke the system. In times like these, I will always remember what my grandfather said, put Americans first. We need to save our manufacturing industry, if only because of the unknown that lies ahead. Besides if my grandfather, a veteran of WW2 and Korea, knew that only the Germans, Japanese and Koreans built cars in the US he'd rise from the grave to start kicking the **** out of people.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Disciple

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada (20 min. down the road from the "Shwa"!)
Originally Posted by dacook
I wonder why the Canadian government isn't being asked to participate in a bailout.
... because the Canadian government has already committed to lending the Canadian subsidiaries of the domestic manufacturers, 20% of whatever the U.S. is prepared to lend them.
This is a number in keeping with the Canadian share of the N.A. market.

As well, Camaro production in Oshawa is not affected by the shutdowns.
Go to the 6:30 mark in tonight's local newscast for confirmation... Camaro line is not affected by the plans for N.A. plant shutdowns.
http://toronto.ctv.ca/#TopVideoAn

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 12-12-2008, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb

You make a good point. I am just frustrated as hell about the mess we all find ourselves in. There is 15 billion dollars left of the TARP funds available without a need for Congressional approval. Bush will give these funds to the big three. It is all but a done deal IMHO. We will see what kind of changes are made. Regardless, GM is going to be a different company starting in 09. With a 'car czar' watching and controlling the auto industry things will be different. Fuel efficiency and alternative fuels will hopefully be top priority. The UAW has got to get a reality check and have compensation commensurate with the Toyota/Honda workers in the US.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:08 AM

I wonder if the fine folks over at YearOne, Inc are willing and able to step in and build the 2010 Camaro? (sorta, kinda joking)

http://www.yearone.com/
Old 12-13-2008, 10:35 AM

Why are the airlines any less important than GM. Your 'purchase a plane ticket on a bankrupt airline and within a few hours your tie to it is over' theory is flawed. If United, Delta, Continental Usair etc. fail they will be replaced with British airways, Air France, Air India etc.

If the big three get access to the $700 billion, then other industries should also have access to it. This of course is not what that money is intended for.

Like I said it doesn't matter. Bush will give them the money. Things will be interesting in 09...
When you purchase an airline ticket, you are purchasing a service. when you purcahse a car... not the same in any shape or fashion.

Moreover, autos represent a 30 times larger impact on the ecenomy.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicTrucker
I wonder if the fine folks over at YearOne, Inc are willing and able to step in and build the 2010 Camaro? (sorta, kinda joking)

http://www.yearone.com/
If you think its overpriced now...
Old 12-13-2008, 01:19 PM

Look this is a very emotional issue on both sides. I definitely want the big three to survive, but I want them to do it without a bailout. I believe they can do it. Just remember this money they want is just a start. They will be back for more. Alot more. I think giving the money to them will just prolong the status quo.

Bankruptcy and breaking the ridiculous UAW contracts is one way to deal with the problem. GM just stated that they are suspending 30% or so of their plants. GOOD. This is the kind of moves GM needs to do to save cash in this economy.