2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full electric version option

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 05:37 PM

I can't even believe this question is being asked with a straight face. I thought the post about the "hydrogen Camaro" was ridiculous. Now that post takes second chair.

For the people who haven't had Captain Obvious visit their house yet, here's some things that will not be included on the new F-Car:

1. A V10 engine.
2. A 19 speed trans.
3. A six foot wing on the hood.
4. Concrete tires.
5. A herring in the glove box.
6. Bio-diesel engine option.
7. Warp drive with optional flux capacitor.

I'm sure I will get flamed by the do-gooders out there who get uptight about someone recognizing the there are ridiculous questions, and in return ridiculous answers. So be it, that actually makes me smile.

Last edited by irocbsa; 02-11-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:14 AM

Even tough on this board its a cardinal sin, I do consider myself to be a conservationist in most aspects of my life. I try to limit my use of disposable products, I try to recycle, and I'm one of wack-jobs replacing all of my light bulbs with the new compact flourescents.
This is why I find myself so torn on this subject. In reference to the above post, I recognize that we won't be getting rid of the gasoline engine for a little while, however, the day will come, and we all are going to have to grow with technology (which is what performance cars are all about) or be stuck in the past, socially and technologically. If you guys expect the car companies to retard their own technological growth for a handful of enthusiasts, your sorely mistaken.

In short, bring on the E-85, biodiesel, electric, hydrogen, cold fission Camaro!
Old 02-11-2007, 11:49 AM

If it made just as much power and was just as fast as the regular Z28 then maybe. I would still miss the awesome sound of a V8 though.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:01 AM

hey, if drive like this electric bike = (see the video at the end 8.7s the 1/4 )
I'm in
http://www.killacycle.com/
Old 02-15-2007, 10:16 AM

Yes a performance electric car would be cool. But it also wouldn't be cheap. Tesla wants $100k for their new Lotus inspired Roadster. ( http://www.teslamotors.com ) Furthermore, the Camaro has far too much mass and would require literally tons of batteries to perform at the level expected by most of us. Lightweight, long lasting batteries aren't inexpensive enough yet to meet the demand. Then there is the whole range issue. The 250 miles per charge for the Tesla is above the norm for most electric cars. For electric to replace the ICE, you'll need a range of 500 miles, and the ability to instantly recharge in less than 30 minutes at a network of recharging stations located all over the country. The US is just too spread out, especially in the midwest and west, for any other scenario to work.

Yes, its an idea that is long over due. Yes, if any manufacturer could meet all the requirements and offer a sporty performance electric car for under $50k, I'd seriously consider it. No, I don't see it happening within two years time, let alone the next 10 years... unless significant pressure is placed on automobile manufacturers to provide such a vehicle.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:26 PM

I'm happy to see discussion of this sort going on here. I often ponder the American obsession with instant mobility, and particularly solitary mobility, having lived in Europe where public transportation is a viable alternative. Americans just seem to adore their cars, and you guys are the epitome of that (no insult intended, just an observation.)

But with gas getting more and more expensive to extract and process, what are we going to do? I sympathize with your love of power and speed; somehow the light rail just isn't quite the same. And these points that Dave makes about electrical power are excellent: power is power and it has to come from somewhere, and I guess if we all have to have our individual rides someone better figure out where the power's gonna come from. God knows I don't have any brilliant insights to offer... but I'll bet if you all put your heads together you could come up with some great alternatives to what we have right now.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:12 PM

i say...
pop rocks and go-karts
Old 05-06-2007, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by cinnamongirl
power is power and it has to come from somewhere
Bah, sustenance is sustenance and people can live off of processed horse [cesnsored], and for me IC engines give a car something no electric motor can or ever will. IMO I don't really care what the fuel is (well except desiel) so long as its mixed with air and ignitied with a spark plug. I'd be happy with alchohol or some mixture there of. Cars will be dead to me when they consist of pure electrics and CVT tranmissions - thats not a car, merely a soulless conveyance and nothing more (irregardless if it can make the jump to light speed).
Old 05-06-2007, 09:05 PM

I'm not suggesting that electric is the answer. But I'd say it's fairly clear at this point that petroleum isn't either. There's not much left that can be easily extracted and it's also obviously having a negative effect on the planet to burn it. So, sorry, I know this probably isn't a popular subject or stance on this website, but reality is reality.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by cinnamongirl
I'm not suggesting that electric is the answer. But I'd say it's fairly clear at this point that petroleum isn't either. There's not much left that can be easily extracted and it's also obviously having a negative effect on the planet to burn it. So, sorry, I know this probably isn't a popular subject or stance on this website, but reality is reality.

Despite the few people who have the "I fear change" stance there are more people who have your viewpoint than you might think. As for me with the inevitable demise of petroleum products I would be all for an alternative powered Camaro. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of an IC engine, but I like acceleration and speed a whole lot more.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:39 PM

CDs will never replace Vinyl. The sound is so much better. CDs sound tinny...

WHAT A BUNCH OF HOOEY.

I still have my Sansui turntable with a brand new Shure diamond needle in a box, in the garage and it hasn't been plugged in in 15 years.

CDs will never be unseated!!!

...What's an iPod?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ultra_Dog
CDs will never replace Vinyl. The sound is so much better. CDs sound tinny...

WHAT A BUNCH OF HOOEY.

I still have my Sansui turntable with a brand new Shure diamond needle in a box, in the garage and it hasn't been plugged in in 15 years.

CDs will never be unseated!!!

...What's an iPod?
So......what's your point?
Old 05-07-2007, 06:58 PM

I think this market segment is going to be covered by the Chevy Volt if GM is going to cover it at all.

It would take a somewhat substantial redesign to make the 5th gen an electric vehicle that people would actually want to live with...

I'm a little amused, though, at the general ignorance towards electric motors...

Total range, the time it takes to recharge the battery, and to a lesser extent, top speed, are the only factors where a traditional gas motor has a clear-cut advantage.

With electric, you can have the torque curve basically however you want it.

peak torque at 0.000000000000001 rpm? No problem, as long as it's greater than zero.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=G32E4li3xHI

If a hobbyist in his garage can set up an electric rx7 to out-accellerate a viper, then I imagine GM could offer a performance-oriented version of the Volt that would make you rethink your pre-concieved notions about electrically powered cars.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:40 PM

I have two issues with an electric camaro (or any plug in car for that matter.)

1. How much will my electric bill go up by charging the car everynight? I spend $65-$75 a week on gas. If my electric bill goes up any more than that, then I would have a hard time buying one.

2. The energy that powers the car needs to come from somewhere. Instead of gas emissions from the car, there will be pollution from the coal burning power plant. The consumer is just moving the source of the pollution from their car to someone else's power plant just to make them feel better.

B
Old 05-08-2007, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by 96SSConv#2033
I have two issues with an electric camaro (or any plug in car for that matter.)

1. How much will my electric bill go up by charging the car everynight? I spend $65-$75 a week on gas. If my electric bill goes up any more than that, then I would have a hard time buying one.

2. The energy that powers the car needs to come from somewhere. Instead of gas emissions from the car, there will be pollution from the coal burning power plant. The consumer is just moving the source of the pollution from their car to someone else's power plant just to make them feel better.

B
Very astute points that many people overlook. I wish most people could come up with your second point by themselves, instead of just thinking that the electricity in the wall is just magic.

There are some sources of energy that we continue to overlook for some very selfish reasons. More Wind Farms could be put up in rural areas, but people have the NIMBY stigma. Nuclear power plants could be built, but that hasn't happened for 20 years, even though they have a good track record in the United States for safety. Solar is a good idea. I would like to install some solar panels in the townhome I am having built, but I don't think the builder or homeowners association would be down for that. Some people use the solar generated electricity and have enough to use it as well as sell some back to the city.

Hydroelectric power is pretty much tapped out here in the U.S. so that is not a favorable option. Many rivers have been dried up or rerouted due to the dams created for development on the western coast.

Quick Reply: Full electric version option