2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Full electric version option

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 07:22 PM

Full electric version option

Would you buy it if it was just as fast as the top of the line gas counter part?
Call it E28 or EZ28. Just a thought.
JD

Last edited by PoorMan; 12-13-2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by PoorMan
Would you buy it if it was just as fast as the top of the line gas counter part?
JD
only if the price was right, and charge times/range would factor in
Old 12-13-2006, 08:10 PM

If Chevrolet produced an electric version of the Camaro, I would literally sell my soul to get one.

I'm not a tree hugger or a conservationist, but fossil fueled vehicles are on their way out (in the next 30-50 years). Global warming or not, we are polluting with cars too much, and I hate being at the mercy of gas prices.

I'm interested to see the evolution of the Chevy Sequel. If they ever make a production version, I just might have to have on parked next to my 5th gen Camaro.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:39 PM

I'd like to see one that coudl be plugged in, but also had a small onboard generator that would be able to run for extended periods of time if the batteries started to drain too far.

This would allow for you to use no gas what so ever on short runs, but still allow you not to have to stop often on longer trips either. The engine and gas tank etc. could be smaller and simipler.

The catch here though is i'm NOT paying any extra for it. If it's giving me the equal power of a V8, i want to pay as though it has a V8.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:00 PM

No...optispark is hard enough not to get wet...I'd imagine there would be things that don't like water.

Seriously though, I do believe ZEV/BEV/whatever you want to call them (I guess ZEV is apparently inappropriate since rubber tires still produce sulfur dioxide emissions) are the only NEXT reasonable replacement for fossil fuels once batteries become more efficient/MUCH cheaper/lighter/consistent in all conditions/etc. ....even though they can be made pretty fast. Which is also what I don't like at all....it seems as if it would be much easier to make faster cars -- and larger cars like the Camaro would really be at a disadvantage (maybe not though since still more room under the hood for more batteries/etc...) -- either way I feel like I would be purchasing a car based on styling alone since the Camaro wouldn't have a motor that really stands out from the rest.

Last edited by fredmr39; 12-15-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:10 PM

If they were to make an electric car perform to where the v8 powered version would, that would most likely cost a small fortune. For some reason, I can't see myself in an electric powered Camaro, it just doesn't seem to fit. When I think of a Camaro, a rumbling, gasoline powered v8 is the first thing that comes to mind.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:14 PM

It also just seems like all the electricity would mess with something..everything...I don't know anything about actual production ZEVs/etc, but I'd be worried about more electrical problems developing (even more so than non electric cars) or interference with something (idk what)....

first step before working on/touching/looking at anything will probably be "disconnect deadly powerplant grid of batteries"..and I might actually listen then after being shocked by a tiny ~12.65V with current batteries..

Though being an electrical engineering student, I will need a job in about a year...so hopefully electricity plays a bigger role soon!

Last edited by fredmr39; 12-15-2006 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8
If Chevrolet produced an electric version of the Camaro, I would literally sell my soul to get one.

I'm not a tree hugger or a conservationist, but fossil fueled vehicles are on their way out (in the next 30-50 years). Global warming or not, we are polluting with cars too much, and I hate being at the mercy of gas prices.

I'm interested to see the evolution of the Chevy Sequel. If they ever make a production version, I just might have to have on parked next to my 5th gen Camaro.
Bah, we will still have the corn baby, granted it'll all be 12:1 comp ratio V8's getting 1 mpg, but the IC engine aint gonna die out that soon.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:36 PM

I wouldn't object to a sporty electric car, but the Camaro doesn't fit the bill IMO.

I want to hear the engine when I drive. It's part of the experience for me I guess.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by USA1Camaro
I wouldn't object to a sporty electric car, but the Camaro doesn't fit the bill IMO.

I want to hear the engine when I drive. It's part of the experience for me I guess.
yeah , thats why i bought an fbody...cheap and loud as hell. Long live the V8
Old 02-09-2007, 11:13 AM

No Way at all.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:39 PM

Have to drive one to see if I would be it.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by PoorMan
JD
I'd buy an EZ28 in a heartbeat. There isn't an ICE on the planet that has the torque of an electical motor. Its not a matter of if, rather when, we see electric sports cars.

I just don't know about the name EZ28 - sounds like a tax form.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by fredmr39
It also just seems like all the electricity would mess with something..everything...I don't know anything about actual production ZEVs/etc, but I'd be worried about more electrical problems developing (even more so than non electric cars) or interference with something (idk what)....
Good point. If electric motors from washers, dryers, garage door openers, etc can cause interference, imagine a motor powerful and large enough to move a 3000lb vehicle!
Old 02-10-2007, 04:51 PM

I would have ZERO interest.

Whenever these discussions come up, I am always reminded of how, back in the 70`s/80`s as I was growing up, we told we would be driving flying cars or cars that drive themselves s (as well as space suits we`d be wearing and "pills" we would be taking instead of eating) by now.
I don`t think electric cars, or hybrids for that matter, are going to replace internal combustion engines anytime in the near future, even 30 years from now. Sure we may have the technology, but it`s going to be another thing to keep it practical (cheap) as other alternative fuels become more common place, making current cars easily backward compatible and not creating a complete "revolution" in driving/noise/performance characteristics. The internal combustion engine still hasn`t completely evolved, and will only become more efficient. When I was shopping for a commuter car (I drive 120 miles a day on average), it was hard to justify the cost and complexity of a hybrid, as they are only very marginally more fuel efficient, if at all. Also, think about the drain on our power infrastructure from 100`s of millions of cars running daily in America. Is the mass of the population going to accept doubling the number of nuclear power plants just to keep up with the power demand? If the majority of the population is driving an electric car, that is *ALOT* of power used daily.
I think using electric to power our cars is very "bleeding edge" technology. It will be interesting to see how long this current hybrid craze last once these cars start going off warranty and people realize they have essentially two power systems to repair and maintain instead of just one.
Another note...I have an old Motor Trend or Car and Driver (something like that) from the late 80`s/early 90`s. In it, there is an ad for a certain unnamed domestic car manufacturer whose name I wont mention..... for the sake of Ford. The ad tells about how they were making strides to be the leader in bringing electric powered cars to the mainstream.

Last edited by Hawk312; 02-10-2007 at 04:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Full electric version option