2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first reveiw

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 06:26 PM

first reveiw

http://jalopnik.com/5176993/2010-che...yline=true&s=i
Old 03-20-2009, 06:34 PM

cool sounds good!
Old 03-20-2009, 06:53 PM

Motortrend's is better and doesn't obsess over the light steering or whatever set them off in that review:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/index.html
Old 03-20-2009, 06:55 PM

The Camaro does bring one huge improvement over its platform-mate: there's virtually no body roll under any circumstances.
guess they were listening to Dale Jr. after all
Old 03-20-2009, 06:57 PM

The Cliftnotes summary:

1. The Holden's G8's exceptional handling didn't make the jump to the Camaro. Mustang is the better handler (not surprizing to anyone who has noted Mustang GT's new .95g pavement sticking ability and the Ford Racing-catalouge-to-production car "Track Pack" option.

2. Mustang has the better interior... not surprising to anyone who has been in the new Mustang.

3. But Camaro's styling and absolute numbers (especially acceleration) trump it's shortcomings.

On initial impressions and despite a spec sheet that strongly claims otherwise, I'd tip the hat in the Mustang's favor when it comes to driving enjoyment too. To create it, Ford engineers essentially took the old model and made it as good as they possibly could. The result is, for the first time, a Mustang that's as much about going around corners as it is about acceleration, which is good, because the Camaro SS leaves it for dead in a straight line. Despite the Mustang's live rear axle, which never really manifests any limitations on the road, the 'Stang is ligher on its feet than the Camaro and has considerably more steering feel. The Camaro's is dead on center, never really manages a huge amount of feel in general and is overly light. it's so light, that it's possible that the engineers that drove it around the Nurburgring did so one-handed...

The much-touted performance of the V6-equipped Camaro doesn't live up to its Mustang GT-killing hype. While GM has gone to great lengths to make it as visceral as possible — the crisp exhaust note sounds almost as good as a 370Z — its flat torque curve leads to a somewhat uneventful feeling of acceleration, especially out of faster corners where the Camaro's prodigious 3,780 Lb curb weight leaves you with foot flat on the floor, wanting for more. Nor does the V6 manifest a handling advantage over the V8, even when equipped with all the RS options. Its steering still lacks feel and it becomes harder to push the car around corners using the throttle.

Look at the value-for-money and the performance numbers of the Camaro combined with its Dragon-tastic looks and you can't help but feel GM has a winner on its hands. It'll beat its competitors hands down, not only in a numbers-based pissing contest, but also in the public's imaginations: an advantage presented by its futuristic-yet-retro styling. It's exactly the car GM should be making, a car that will sell; it's just not the unprecedented new experience that we were hoping for, it's not a real driver's car. With the Camaro, GM has chosen to stick with the muscle car archetype rather than push the limits of what's possible, it's not likely to win many conquests from more adept sportscars like the 370Z, Audi TT and BMW 3-series as Chevy hopes it will.
Originally Posted by Ray86IROC
Motortrend's is better and doesn't obsess over the light steering or whatever set them off in that review:

I'm eager for the 1st comparison tests between the R/T, GT, & SS.

I believe it's going to be Car & Driver... likely issue after next.

Last edited by guionM; 03-20-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:04 PM

not much of a review there.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
The Cliftnotes summary:

1. The Holden's G8's exceptional handling didn't make the jump to the Camaro.
too bad.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Admin Emeritus

Actually, the first review was here on 02-22-2009:
https://www.camaroz28.com/articles/2010camaroroadtest/

But seriously, the new reviews are great reads and it is awesome to see them trickling in.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by 97z28/m6
not much of a review there.
5 pages and a full performance test on each model isn't much? Did you not notice the 4 other pages beyond the first??
Old 03-20-2009, 09:09 PM

5 pages and a full performance test on each model isn't much? Did you not notice the 4 other pages beyond the first??
the first page had nothing and the last page was all specs. so 3 out five was used for the "review" and most of that seemed like a press release.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by GUIONM The Cliftnotes summary:

1. The Holden's G8's exceptional handling didn't make the jump to the Camaro. Mustang is the better handler (not surprizing to anyone who has noted Mustang GT's new .95g pavement sticking ability and the Ford Racing-catalouge-to-production car "Track Pack" option.
Quoted from today's Motor Trend review:

"Numbers, of course, relate only a fraction of the story. The V-6 Camaro is, quite simply, a breakthrough drive. Light to the touch, it burns through mountain twisties with clear, precise feedback through the wheel, unfailing poise (the FE2 suspension stays planted even when the road surface deteriorates), and plenty of punch."

Roughly 100 lb heavier than their V-6 counterparts, the V-8 Camaros turn into corners with slightly less crispness and a whiff less grip, churning up 0.90 g at the limit. The FE3 setup is as astutely tuned as the FE2, however; it's stiffer, but still pliable and planted.

Whatever its powertrain guise, the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro feels like a very grown-up, highly polished machine. In many regards, it's more reminiscent of the best sport coupes from Europe and Japan than it is a carrier of the musclecar torch from four decades ago. Should that worry the modern Dodge Challenger and Ford Mustang -- potentially even the pricier Nissan 370Z or bluebloods like the Audi S5?"

Where in there does it say that it doesn't handle as good as a G8? Sounds to me like it handles pretty damn good!

Last edited by Logansneo; 03-20-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:54 PM

well i've had some seat time in a G8 GT maybe not to extent they have but i do know if i get my paws on a SS i'll be giving it a good test.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:40 PM

Well this car isn't going to win every reviewer's heart. It all depends on what the person is looking far. This car delivers in many areas but maybe the steering wasn't up to this tester’s opinion of how it should. These are the big leagues and just beating up on the Mustang and Challenger isn't going to cut it today. The competition from across the oceans may not have the all out brute power but they will make up for it in many other areas. So this car will need to earn every sale.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:17 PM

Wow I feel like im on the verge of history.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:53 AM

The VE/G8 steering has never been criticized for being numb off centre or too light. I assume the Camaro's steering is essentially the same system employed. Therefore, Jalopnik's criticism appears to be out of step with other reviews and certainly my own opinion of the steering.

Perhaps, the Camaro and Mustang were sampled back to back... and the steering criticism appeared to be relative? Anyway, with familiarity behind the wheel, I'm sure the comments regarding the steering will be a moot point at best.

Quick Reply: first reveiw