2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Fees!!! I need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 04:14 PM

Fees!!! I need help

I live in California, want to buy my Camaro from a place in Kenosha, Wisconsin. What if any fees or taxes willi pay extra when I register it and or bring it home in 3-4 days?
Old 01-09-2009, 04:21 PM

Sounds like a bad idea.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by km9v
Sounds like a bad idea.

Care to elaborate... I am going to get the 2ss for dealer invoice in Kenosha... but i am jsut un-informed about the fees and taxes....
Old 01-09-2009, 04:32 PM

As far as I know, if you are buying a new car, it will need CA emissions.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:36 AM

Im not worried about the emissions thats a piece of cake I am worried about the fines and fees and added taxes. Thats what I want to know about
Old 01-10-2009, 03:27 PM

I live in California too.

I've never bought a car from another state so I have no first hand experience here. But I'm quite certain that if you buy a car from another state, and ship/drive it to California and register it there, you'll pay tax, title, and license for California, and not Wisconsin.

While it would seem like something they would do, I highly doubt you would have to pay tax, title, and license for TWO states. That just doesn't seem legal.

If you choose to ship your vehicle, obviously, you'll incur a hefty shipping fee. I would guestimate $500 to $1500.

One thing you might be able to do is inquire about having the dealership in Kenosha transfer the car to your dealership in CA? I was going to buy a Silverado a while back, and they were going to transfer me one from a dealership in northern California down to San Diego.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by monstertodd
I live in California too.

I've never bought a car from another state so I have no first hand experience here. But I'm quite certain that if you buy a car from another state, and ship/drive it to California and register it there, you'll pay tax, title, and license for California, and not Wisconsin.

While it would seem like something they would do, I highly doubt you would have to pay tax, title, and license for TWO states. That just doesn't seem legal.

If you choose to ship your vehicle, obviously, you'll incur a hefty shipping fee. I would guestimate $500 to $1500.

One thing you might be able to do is inquire about having the dealership in Kenosha transfer the car to your dealership in CA? I was going to buy a Silverado a while back, and they were going to transfer me one from a dealership in northern California down to San Diego.
I do believe it will depend on the states licensing laws for cars. The dealer may not let you drive away without getting the title transferred and such there, in which case you would have to pay the fees in two states. It is alot different than if you buy it from a private party.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:50 PM

guess I am paying MSRP in Cali. You guys are pretty much sayign the same thing that everyone else is... so it doesnt seem worth it.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:03 AM

no ones getting their car until october im pretty sure...that'll give you time to think it through!
Old 01-12-2009, 01:11 AM

The easiest thing to do is search for "California Vehicle Sales Tax" or something to that affect in google. It should pull up whatever government website it is presented on. There, it will lay down the info you are looking for.

To give you an example, I live in Texas. If I were to purchase a car in another state and then bring it back to Texas where I live, according to Texas tax laws, when I went to register the vehicle, I would have the typical registration and license plate fees any vehicle occurs. I would also incur the standard 6.25% tax. While I am recharged the tax for the cost of vehicle, Texas has setup a means of applying the tax I pay in the other state towards the Texas tax rate. So, for example, if I bought it in Oklahoma at a hypothetical 5% tax rate, I could apply that towards the 6.25% in Texas and only have to pay the difference of 1.25% when I registered in Texas.

The kicker here is the fact that doing this means whatever difference you incur is on your own nickel and not financed. For those that are paying cash up front and in full, that's not a problem, just something to plan for. For the rest of us, like me, I couldn't do that because I couldn't afford the extra few hundreds of dollars towards the tax.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:54 AM

I have bought a motorcycle out of state from a dealer; and several of my buddies have done the same. IF IT WORKS THE SAME THERE AS HERE:

You have 2 options.

Pay for the vehicle only, no tax, and a temp plate from the state its sold in; THEN go to the cali DMV pay the taxes there and have it plated.

If your financing it, pay for the vehicle (have them INCLUDE CA tax), and a temp plate to drive it home. Then, they have the finance company cut a check to the State of California with your name on it; and you pay the taxes with that when you get it in the mail.

If it works slightly different in other states, Im just going by what we do here in MI.

OR, I thought that some states dont have you pay tax if there were taxes paid to anothert state. Best thing is to call the DMV and ask how they handle it.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:22 PM

You pay the sales tax and title fee in your own state. Bill of sale shows every thing your state will need . Temp title goes with the car to your state. They will make a new title to match their process in your state. If you sell the car and it goes out of your state the process is repeated again. New is easier that used. A used car has to be checked by the state police before you can get a title.. VIN number checked to make sure it was not stolen..