2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Executive edition Camaro in the works

Old 09-20-2009, 11:15 AM

Executive edition Camaro in the works

Looks like they are going to spruce up the interior and exterior with some aluminum stuff, From Bob Lutz himself:

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/au...rolet_cam.html

In its day, the Camaro was a cheap sports car for the buzz cut and gold chains crowd. But the new one, packed with a high-tech V-6 engine that kicks with 304 horsepower and 29 mpg on the highway (V-8 is optional) is far more sophisticated than the old generations of the car. General Motors wants to up its sophistication up a notch with an Executive Express edition of the car that will look snazzier than the stock version of the car, GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz told me. The car will be all black, may have some aluminum trim touches on the outside and a European-looking interior like an Audi, Lutz says.

Why not? The car’s design certainly has cues from the Camaros of yore. But it’s not a retro knock off. It really is a modern interpretation of the Chevy pony car. So far, it has been a success. GM sold 8,700 last month, compared with 6,300 Ford Mustangs sold last month, and it remains in short supply at dealerships even in this dismal car market. A spruced up version may just hit.
Maybe this is coming because the Camaro Black Concept was so well received.

Last edited by super83Z; 09-20-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:37 AM

Why don't they just make the interior better for the whole line-up?
Old 09-20-2009, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by super83Z
Looks like they are going to spruce up the interior and exterior with some aluminum stuff, From Bob Lutz himself:

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/au...rolet_cam.html

Now THIS is the car I was e-mailing and talking about to certain people at GM last year at LA and here on this site!!

The "Black's" interior was far and away better than the somewhat cheesy looking orange trim Camaro SS interior that shared the stage on last year's press day. My view was then that GM should adopt that interior for the Camaro ASAP. I also earlier advocated a Camaro LT that had a bit of class and sophistication (this was well before the actual LT package was public).

I wouldn't call it the "Executive Edition", though. IMHO, that's something that should be on a special edition Cadillac, and not the best idea on a Camaro.

How about Camaro GT.

Or.... and this will probably wind up taking over the thread, (and perhaps stirring the pot a bit)...... but what about calling it.............

...........Camaro GTO?
Old 09-20-2009, 12:09 PM

Is this a complete interior redo, or just different trim and materials? By Lutz saying it would a European looking interior, that almost implies a complete redo. Which the car desperately needs.

Since Camaro is based on the VE just like the G8 was, I wonder how hard it would be to put the G8's interior into the Camaro. That would be orders of magnitude better. And with some better materials, it could be almost Audi-esque.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
...........Camaro GTO?

Isn't that sacrilegious? People have been burned at the stake for far less....
Old 09-20-2009, 12:14 PM

Hmmmmmm, VERY interesting. Not digging the all black though
Old 09-20-2009, 12:30 PM

people didn't like the interior when it was shown as a concept but did they change it? no. maybe now they will.
It would be simple enough to have the buick or caddy designer make design the camaro interior is similiar fashion but nooo..

As for screwing up the outside with aluminum trim. Please god don't, all it does it break up the nice smooth body lines and solid colors. We'd probably get something like this.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:09 PM

gold chains? i didnt know rednecks wore goldchains in the 60s.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by R377
Is this a complete interior redo, or just different trim and materials? By Lutz saying it would a European looking interior, that almost implies a complete redo. Which the car desperately needs.
I agree, calling it a euro interior suggests more than just different material and trim pieces. The current interior is 100% American because it is a 2009 interpretation of a 1969 layout.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:20 PM

They would not design a completely new interior for the Camaro, in 1 year, for a sub model.

What this likely means, is aluminum trim on the inside. Frankly, with the design of the interior, I can't even imagine it looking "Euro."
Old 09-20-2009, 03:23 PM

^they added backup sensors ...

Old 09-20-2009, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Why don't they just make the interior better for the whole line-up?
Toe-in-the-water exercise?

They might do that to gauge reaction before they make the upgrade across the board.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by 94LightningGal
They would not design a completely new interior for the Camaro, in 1 year, for a sub model.

What this likely means, is aluminum trim on the inside. Frankly, with the design of the interior, I can't even imagine it looking "Euro."
yeah, thats what I thought at first. Im wondering if theyd just borrow an interior from another GM car or make one similar from another car like the CTS maybe? Or maybe enough pieces to make it Euro such as dash and IP while keeping the Camaro seats
Old 09-20-2009, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by super83Z
Or because the current interior is just so awful.

B
Old 09-20-2009, 07:54 PM

That's what I am talking about! The longer I wait the more seems to come.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Executive edition Camaro in the works