2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Enough of the reviews, have you driven each?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 03:32 AM

Enough of the reviews, have you driven each?

Camaro vs Mustang vs Challenger

I keep reading about people using magazine articles to support their case in regards to discussion about performance, ride/handling and general vehicle dynamics. While the various publications have expressed conflicting results, most of their misgivings in regards to the Camaro have been subjective. Let's face it, Camaro has been quickest down the quarter and quickest around a track in every test so far (not including the GT500 as it's not really a fair comparison, IMO).

That said, how many of you have actually driven all three cars? And how many of you bought what you considered to be the best vehicle after a test drive and careful evaluation of all three vehicles.

Please, let's stop referring to magazine results in this thread. Let's focus on the things that you loved/disliked about each vehicle and the reasons for your preference.

Please note, you must have driven all three cars to earn the right to an opinion in this thread. You don't have to own any of the pony cars, you just need to have driven them.

The intention of this thread is to get the opinions from people who are actually prospective buyers, as distinct to type jockeys.

It should make for an interesting read.

Regards
Old 09-04-2009, 06:13 AM

Have you driven all three? Run them all down the 1/4 mile? Taken em around the race track? Run thru the cones of an autocross? Driven them across the country and made a subjective opinion on the dynamics of each car? Measured their gas mileage? Written down what you liked and disliked?

I haven't. Darn. Guess I can't comment.

Oops.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:12 AM

I didn't impose rules on yours truly. I just wanted to hear from those who sampled all three vehicles. That isn't too much to ask for, is it Bob? I only asked an obvious question given the obvious comparisons.

Obviously, Bob, you haven't, therefore you aren't allowed to offer comment. Clear?
Old 09-04-2009, 08:24 AM

I think Guy is one of the few around here who has driven all three.

I'd like to test drive Camaro, but the dealers around here generally won't allow aggressive test drives of a hot new car unless you express serious interest in buying it, which I don't. I probably will eventually.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:43 PM

I have not driven all three, but I do have opinions and they won't come from the magazines.

I think the Camaro is too big and heavy and visibility isn't good. No issues with the interior. Exterior design is exciting. Engine is world class.

I think the Mustang is also too big and heavy, just not as big and heavy. Definately needs more wheaties. Interior and visibility are great.

I think the Challenger is WAY too big and heavy. Looks are killer - best of the bunch. No opinion on interior or visibility (never been in one).

Clear?

Have a nice day.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:48 PM

2010 Mustang GT (Premium) $35,000.
2010 Camaro SS (1SS) $35,000.

CAMARO IS THE OBVIOUS EPIC WIN!!!

Fords new mustang looks nice but I cant see people paying mid 30's for a Mustang GT with ONLY 315hp, 315 is nothing impressive these days. Maybe back in the late 90's. The other guys over at dodge have a nice car, regardless of weight and overall size, the car is probably the best looking if your going for that nastalgic look. Though it being grotesquly (sp?) over priced and the interior looks too similar to any other dodge car on the market make it, like the mustang, an epic FAIL.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:43 AM

Excuse my haste here... but nobody on the forum is yet to drive the current generation pony cars?

And I thought we were all bonafide enthusiasts?

It sounds like we're a forum full of loyalists whether it be loyal to certain past generation vehicles or just to loyal to Chev, Ford, Dodge brands.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:07 AM

Maybe they just don't want to post in this thread?
Old 09-06-2009, 11:17 AM

Can't...there are no test drives.

Last edited by ronssito; 09-06-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
Excuse my haste here... but nobody on the forum is yet to drive the current generation pony cars?

And I thought we were all bonafide enthusiasts?

It sounds like we're a forum full of loyalists whether it be loyal to certain past generation vehicles or just to loyal to Chev, Ford, Dodge brands.
Well... I dont think GM or Dodge would let me take the F5 or Challenger on the sort of comprehensive test drive I've taken a GT and GT500 on so I couldn't give any sort of useful feedback on either non Ford car.

Now if theres anybody out there that has an SS or Challenger SRT8 they'd be willing to swap for a short drive down a nice twisty road I'll offer up my ride in return

Last edited by bossco; 09-06-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
I think Guy is one of the few around here who has driven all three..
Haven't driven a Challenger R/T yet.

I lay the blame on Chrysler not producing what the demand was, and now finding Chrysler dealers is alot like finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.... pretty tough, and you have to do a lot of running.

Originally Posted by SSbaby
Camaro vs Mustang vs Challenger

I keep reading about people using magazine articles to support their case in regards to discussion about performance, ride/handling and general vehicle dynamics. While the various publications have expressed conflicting results, most of their misgivings in regards to the Camaro have been subjective. Let's face it, Camaro has been quickest down the quarter and quickest around a track in every test so far (not including the GT500 as it's not really a fair comparison, IMO).
Actually, Mustang GT matched a Camaro SS in Automobile's track test. The SS would inch away in straightaway's, while the Mustang would catch it in corners.

Camaro doesn't clearly get away from the Mustang GT till about 60 mph. If the Mustang gets clearly ahead in curves, Camaro actually needs all of it's power to catch up to the Mustrang in straighaways. That's where the problem lies with Camaro's high firepower. It's needed to catch up from it's disadvantage in the curves.

That said, how many of you have actually driven all three cars? And how many of you bought what you considered to be the best vehicle after a test drive and careful evaluation of all three vehicles.

Please, let's stop referring to magazine results in this thread. Let's focus on the things that you loved/disliked about each vehicle and the reasons for your preference.

Please note, you must have driven all three cars to earn the right to an opinion in this thread. You don't have to own any of the pony cars, you just need to have driven them.

The intention of this thread is to get the opinions from people who are actually prospective buyers, as distinct to type jockeys.

It should make for an interesting read.

Regards
I understand what you are saying.

However, there is going to be absolutely NO ONE on this site that has taken all 3 cars to the limits the car magazines have.

There are at least 2 car magazine tests that have hired on well known, professional race car drivers to wring out the cars and give insights.

Now, I can tell you Mustang has the interior contest locked down tight. I can tell you the Challenger is solid and has all the trunk space you could want. I can tell you the Camaro SS's suspension and body is so tight and muted that the Mustang GT actually feels quicker, even though it isn't.. but it's not a bad ride. Clastrophobic, but nice.

But, if you want to know how each handle at the limit, and you expect someone here to be able to top what is being said in car magazines, it's not very likely to happen... unless you want someone to make something up.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Maybe they just don't want to post in this thread?
You think it's a personal issue, Bob?

Maybe they just don't like me?
Old 09-06-2009, 07:29 PM

Ummm..... yeah.... so it all comes down to HP/Dollar

Last edited by bossco; 09-06-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by guionM

I understand what you are saying.

However, there is going to be absolutely NO ONE on this site that has taken all 3 cars to the limits the car magazines have.

There are at least 2 car magazine tests that have hired on well known, professional race car drivers to wring out the cars and give insights.

Now, I can tell you Mustang has the interior contest locked down tight. I can tell you the Challenger is solid and has all the trunk space you could want. I can tell you the Camaro SS's suspension and body is so tight and muted that the Mustang GT actually feels quicker, even though it isn't.. but it's not a bad ride. Clastrophobic, but nice.

But, if you want to know how each handle at the limit, and you expect someone here to be able to top what is being said in car magazines, it's not very likely to happen... unless you want someone to make something up.
No that's not what this thread is about. We know the relative performances of each car. That's been done to death.

What I want to know is what is actually important to those who have sampled the cars via a simple, real world test drive. The tangible things that make/break purchase decisions... in other words.

I don't want a pissing contest in this thread... that's what magazines are for.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Skills2Thrill
2010 Mustang GT (Premium) $35,000.
2010 Camaro SS (1SS) $35,000.

CAMARO IS THE OBVIOUS EPIC WIN!!!

Fords new mustang looks nice but I cant see people paying mid 30's for a Mustang GT with ONLY 315hp, 315 is nothing impressive these days. Maybe back in the late 90's. The other guys over at dodge have a nice car, regardless of weight and overall size, the car is probably the best looking if your going for that nastalgic look. Though it being grotesquly (sp?) over priced and the interior looks too similar to any other dodge car on the market make it, like the mustang, an epic FAIL.

This is the most retarded, idiotic and biased thing I've read here.

Quick Reply: Enough of the reviews, have you driven each?