2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Do we really need the Z28?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 01:50 PM

It could be said that Z/28 IS Camaro. Ask anyone you know, ask a complete stranger - just ask them to name a Camaro model. I guarantee you that Z/28 will be, by far, the most mentioned model. IROC-Z counts towards that, as well (what do you think the "Z" stands for?).

The Camaro definitely needs to compete with the Mustang on every level. These two cars have defined each other for decades. Without the Mustang, the Camaro wouldn't even exist.

That being said, I don't think that the Camaro needs to blindly copy the Mustang. There's something to be said for individuality. A heavy supercharged engine, heavy bracing to handle the extra power, large brakes to haul the heavy car down to a stop - they're not necessary. I'd rather see more attention focused on reducing the car's weight. The Z/28 should be the Camaro's Z06. Light, powerful, handles well - that's what the Z/28 should be, not a carbon copy of the GT500.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
I don't think we need this Z28.

Call it a ZL1 instead, and make the Z28 something else.

Comments?
I agree. If they are going to make a GT500 fighter, make it a ZL1.

They should focus on making the Z28 somewhat like the Cobra R. Lightweight road racer with a high revving V8. Except it should be affordable and GM needs to focus on getting it to come in around 3400 to 3500 pounds. If GM did that, sign me up for a Z28 instead of an SS.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by guionM

Call it a ZL1 instead, and make the Z28 something else.

Comments?

I agree with you here....

the ZL1 if we get so lucky to get one should compete with the GT500 same price range... focus on total destruction of anything on wheels..

Maybe we should have something along these lines:

• Base Camaro - for everyone - like a base automatic/convertible Corvette - people that want to look good in it.
  • SS Camaro - for the enthusiast - like the Z51 Corvette manual - people that are serious about their performance car
  • Z28 Camaro - for the hardcore - like the Z06 Corvette - These is the top dog that your average Joe can dream and if they really want it will buy
  • ZL1 Camaro - for the rich - like the ZR1 Corvette - Only rich bastards will buy it but it is nice to know Chevy has it out.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by HOTCIVIC
I agree. If they are going to make a GT500 fighter, make it a ZL1.

They should focus on making the Z28 somewhat like the Cobra R. Lightweight road racer with a high revving V8. Except it should be affordable and GM needs to focus on getting it to come in around 3400 to 3500 pounds. If GM did that, sign me up for a Z28 instead of an SS.

the Cobra R sucked... super expensive... and it used to get beat by regular Corvettes if i remember correctly... i'll do some research right now .. brb
Old 08-01-2008, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by HOTCIVIC
They should focus on making the Z28 somewhat like the Cobra R. Lightweight road racer with a high revving V8. Except it should be affordable and GM needs to focus on getting it to come in around 3400 to 3500 pounds.

If the economy and potential poor sales are concerns that keep popping up, is a Cobra R style car really the answer? That Cobra R sold real well and made a lot of money for Ford, didn't it? Oh wait....

I'm interested in something more than the currently annouced SS, I'd like it to be called a Z28, and I'd like it to have at least 500 horsepower. Ground superiority, by Camaro. We've never NOT had it, and why in the world should we give it up now, when we have what seems to be the best, most refined and capable Camaro platform yet?

I'm fairly certain that something matching that description is in the pipeline. I'm not sure how much it will cost, because I don't know exactly what engine they'll put in it, and they haven't told us how much the SS costs yet. But in the mid 40s would not be an unreasonable sum for such a giant slaying car. I am not concerned about dealer markup, that always ends if you are patient.

I understand if you don't want such a car. But there's no reason not to build one. I don't think that this is the only Camaro variant that should be produced. You need volume V6 and V8 models. But if your volume V8 only has 422 or 400 horsepower, there is plenty of room above that for a lower volume higher performance version.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by jcamere94z28
I agree with you here....

the ZL1 if we get so lucky to get one should compete with the GT500 same price range... focus on total destruction of anything on wheels..

Maybe we should have something along these lines:

• Base Camaro - for everyone - like a base automatic/convertible Corvette - people that want to look good in it.
  • SS Camaro - for the enthusiast - like the Z51 Corvette manual - people that are serious about their performance car
  • Z28 Camaro - for the hardcore - like the Z06 Corvette - These is the top dog that your average Joe can dream and if they really want it will buy
  • ZL1 Camaro - for the rich - like the ZR1 Corvette - Only rich bastards will buy it but it is nice to know Chevy has it out.
There would be othing wrong with such a lineup, if they would all sell. But traditionally, "hardcore" variants, with reduced sound deadening, no a/c, no back seat, etc... do not sell in high numbers. So if a business case can be made for a "hardcore" Camaro, fine, go for it - but don't build it at the expense of the Z28 I want - because I think the one I want (which kind of matches your "ZL1" above) will likely sell in greater numbers than a hardcore variant, and be more profitable per unit because it will have more luxury goodies on it as well.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by TTopJohn
There would be othing wrong with such a lineup, if they would all sell. But traditionally, "hardcore" variants, with reduced sound deadening, no a/c, no back seat, etc... do not sell in high numbers. So if a business case can be made for a "hardcore" Camaro, fine, go for it - but don't build it at the expense of the Z28 I want - because I think the one I want (which kind of matches your "ZL1" above) will likely sell in greater numbers than a hardcore variant, and be more profitable per unit because it will have more luxury goodies on it as well.

When I mean hardcore... i don't mean no AC, no back seat... lol.. see how i put the corvette next to it? the Z06 has all the things that the regular does... but it weights less and has more power better brakes... etc. but the people that buy a Z06 are a bit more into the performance.. more hardcore than people that got the Z51... or just had more money to spend it on the Z06.

A car with no radio, no ac no backseat wouldn't sell.. wouldn't be a camaro.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:24 PM

Like has been posted Z/28 goes with Camaro, if someone asks me what I have in my barn I say a Z/28 and they know what it is. Now if I had said I have an SS well not so clear.

I would like more than 422hp myself and gearing to really pull hard. Does it need to be supercharged? I think it would be nice, but only if GM builds it as well as Ford did the GT500 engine with all forged internals to handle additional boost. I watch a video of a TT GT500 run in the 9's the other day on a stock bottom end.

Now what if GM made a Z/28 With body mods, better gearing and a forged engine and offered a dealer installed supercharger so that the car didnt get hit with a gas guzzler tax, but yet we could still have a 550hp car with a 5yr 100k coverage.

But in the end I don't care I just would like to park another Z/28 next to the one I have. GM can just change it up a little to make it a different car. Maybe a DI V8 would fit the bill.

Last edited by 81Z28355; 08-01-2008 at 02:27 PM. Reason: none
Old 08-01-2008, 02:33 PM

Question Missing the point?

I think this thread entirely misses the point. The question is never, "Does GM need a Z/28?" The question is always, "Do enough of GM's customers want a Z/28?"

The fact is GM has a car in the Camaro that could be made into a Z/28 variant - no problem. But regardless of the capability of the platform, there would still be costs and those costs would have to be offset with profit from those cars.

The other major question is, "Does having a Z/28 in the lineup draw people to lower Camaros?" Then the Z/28 is no longer about pure profit, but about visibility and in a sense, advertising. There's also the other side of that coin where the public says, "Why would GM make a Camaro when fuel economy is king?"

Bottom line, it is a business decision the company makes based on their data about their customers......"need" is entirely the wrong word.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by 81Z28355
Like has been posted Z/28 goes with Camaro, if someone asks me what I have in my barn I say a Z/28 and they know what it is. Now if I had said I have an SS well not so clear.

I would like more than 422hp myself and gearing to really pull hard. Does it need to be supercharged? I think it would be nice, but only if GM builds it as well as Ford did the GT500 engine with all forged internals to handle additional boost. I watch a video of a TT GT500 run in the 9's the other day on a stock bottom end.

Now what if GM made a Z/28 With body mods, better gearing and a forged engine and offered a dealer installed supercharger so that the car didnt get hit with a gas guzzler tax, but yet we could still have a 550hp car with a 5yr 100k coverage.

But in the end I don't care I just would like to park another Z/28 next to the one I have. GM can just change it up a little to make it a different car. Maybe a DI V8 would fit the bill.
I'd totally be down with that! It will be hard for me to afford a mid-$40K car, but I'm going to wait a few years to see what comes out. I'm not going to go into what SS, Z28, ZL1, blah blah blah meant; and yes, I know what they meant. I think it would be more productive to start a thread specifically dedicated, for those of us who want one, to show our enthusiasm for it. Yes, and arguement can be made that we don't really need one, but did GM need the ZR1? Nope; they did it because they could. Does GM need a Z28? Probably moreso than a ZR1, because you can't convence me that GM would not take into account the demographic that Camaro is tied to.

If GM would come out with a car with the long block that was forged and take FI, and a chassis that could cope with the power, ****, I'd install the supercharger. I just want an actual engineered car, not just a supercharger added on. If they could make an LSA fit into that car, with the supporting chassis mods', AND keep it affordable, I would totally be down.

Please GM!!!
Old 08-01-2008, 02:41 PM

IMHO....

I think a supercharged version would sell well if produced in limited quantities, but I don't want it to be called Z/28. To me that's just not what a Z/28 is. I agree with those that equate it to a Z06. Lighter weight and more power via an N/A motor is the Z/28 formula. Always has been. I have nothing against a S/C Camaro, just don't call it a Z/28.

Weight loss + LS7 (or future equivalent) = Z/28

To me anyways...
Old 08-01-2008, 02:51 PM

I don't think there is any way it won't be called Z28. GM isn't going to make four models of the same passenger car, although, that would be cool. Times change...
Old 08-01-2008, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by TTopJohn
If the economy and potential poor sales are concerns that keep popping up, is a Cobra R style car really the answer? That Cobra R sold real well and made a lot of money for Ford, didn't it? Oh wait....
Well I meant it should be like the Cobra R in certain aspects like cornering ability, N/A motor, focus on weight reduction by making it bare bones by getting rid of luxury appointments....

The Cobra R was a great performing machine. Ford didn't sell a lot because they were expensive and they didn't make a lot of them. But I don't see why the cost of the Z28 would have to be that high. The Z28 needs to stay away from being a $40k to $50k vehicle at 4k pounds. That's not what the Z is all about. It's about affordability, being lightweight, and being able to handle. All that goes out the window when we start talkin supercharged LSA GT500 fighter.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:57 PM

I don't know if "we" need it but If GM needed the Z28 it would be coming out with the rest on the first day of production.

But what we are 'getting' to start is the same formula, One V6 car and essentially One V8 car just like the 4th gen. Nothing's missing. That covers the whole buyer base. Sounds like the Z28 really will be intended to be an image car only for the Camaro name, not something they expect to sell a ton of.. That's why they aren't in a hurry to put it out there -- the success or failure of Camaro won't depend on it.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by rcowan99
I don't know if "we" need it but If GM needed the Z28 it would be coming out with the rest on the first day of production.

But what we are 'getting' to start is the same formula, One V6 car and essentially One V8 car just like the 4th gen. Nothing's missing. That covers the whole buyer base. Sounds like the Z28 really will be intended to be an image car only for the Camaro name, not something they expect to sell a ton of.. That's why they aren't in a hurry to put it out there -- the success or failure of Camaro won't depend on it.
This is a good point, IMHO. Although I don't think it is critical, I think that adding it will only help make Camaro more recognizable. I don't think the "Race on Sunday, Sell on Monday" still applies nowaday, I still think there is a good deal of value with exposing the car in as many possible ways as they can. I just seriously hope that GM keeps this model, whatever the name, reasonably priced.

Quick Reply: Do we really need the Z28?