2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could this mean trouble for the new Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 08:17 PM

The point of this thread was not to bash the new Camaro. I love the styling of it ( I think it looks more like a Cadillac than a 1969 Camaro) Nor was it to bash the 4th gen. cars. What I'm trying to do is say is that this time around, GM must put special emphasis on quality, performance, price and SIZE. The current trend is toward small and nimble - M3, J35, Acura RSX, SRT4, etc. I remember what everybody liked about the first Mustangs and the Camaros: they were small and fast. Lee Iacocca knew it and capitalized on it. Now, HYUNDAI knows it too and they aren't making any mistake about it. Small, V8, reasonably priced 2+2. You can bet it will come with a 6 too. It's going to compete with Mustang, Camaro, J35, Challenger and all other comers. I would rather buy GM, but there are limits to my loyality.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by MarcR94v6
And lol and the last 2 posts. You may think it looks like a 69, others see modern. We're not trying to tell you people who buy Camaros won't buy a Hyundai, we're telling you straight up, most won't even consider it.
I completely agree. I see some cues from the '69, but see FAR more 'modern' in the new Camaro than I do retro.

I'm not a big fan of retro, if I felt it were as retro as the previous poster, I'd never buy it. But as it is, I'd say it's possibly 25% Retro 75% Modern.

(And that 25% retro is partly some 3rd Gen influence imo. Not just 1st.)
Old 05-18-2007, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Z/28lover
Personally, I would be more concerned about the Accord coupe taking away sales.
I have to agree. (And the Altima coupe.) The term "Pony Car" really has very little meaning outside of the enthusist market. Normal buyers don't necessarily care which-wheel-drive or who can win a stoplight drag race. The Mustang, "in a category by itself", must be frequently cross-shopped against FWD coupes and even sedans and it sells well. Camaro has to do the same.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:58 PM

Dwarf Killer.....you are quite correct. However, the term "small" is relative when you're comparing it to a 1966 Sport Fury (despite it being available with a 426 hemi). I'm just using that as an example off the top of my head. Ganted that vehicle was an ugly pig, but it was not considered to be that large at the time when compared to so many other vehicles. The mustang in its current configuration does not give the appearance of being that much larger than the original but we all know that it is. Hopefully the camaro will be able to somewhat duplicate the ability to resemble its original size, but we won't know until the final product comes out.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:21 PM

The car in the original post doesn't have a V8. It's a turbo 4 cylinder (look at the pictures in the gallery). Not sure how they plan on cramming a 4.6L V8 in there.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:49 PM

It looks like a next generation Tiburon. 300 horses are possible, but I doubt it.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by N Vezzi
It looks like a next generation Tiburon. 300 horses are possible, but I doubt it.
Exactly...
Old 05-22-2007, 11:58 AM

Does everyone think that the Supra, RX7, or any of the other imports mentioned never had problems? Truth is that these cars have just as many problems as the f-bodies do. You just don't hear about it because you aren't on their forums just as they don't hear about ours. I don't care what brand or how much it costs every car has its annoyances. This thread is great fuel for the stereotype.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by 95firehawk
Does everyone think that the Supra, RX7, or any of the other imports mentioned never had problems? Truth is that these cars have just as many problems as the f-bodies do. You just don't hear about it because you aren't on their forums just as they don't hear about ours. I don't care what brand or how much it costs every car has its annoyances. This thread is great fuel for the stereotype.
The RX7 was a terrible car, and the Supra was discontinued because Toyota was sick of the warranty claims from people who abused them. Toyota is reluctant to build sports cars. The IS350 is a command of the market, they had to build it. But when I talk quality I'm not saying it's coming from Hyundai. They just produce decent quality cars cheaply.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:45 PM

The C4 vette interiors werent all that hot. The 4th gen fbody interiors were plastic to heck. The 80's Supra/RX7 interiors were just as bad.

Though during the mid 90's (pre C5) the RX7/Supra had nicer interior build quality, ride, and seats - though I would hardly call them "Better". Good cars, but still with problems.

The Hyundai thing though, is competition. The first Tiburon was a piece of little junk. Adding a 6spd and a v6 (and a whole heck of a lot better looks) made it an actually nice car. I drove around in a friend's for a few days when we were carpooling and its really not a terrible car. Not fast, but certainly fun and sporty.... something you CANT say about the Mitsubishi Eclipse anymore.

Its competition for some of the buyers, but I dont see it as really dangerous - but then again we havent seen the final appearance without camo - if it looks amazing it might actually be a problem!
Old 05-23-2007, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Geoff Chadwick
The C4 vette interiors werent all that hot.
You know, there was a point when I was considering picking up a clean LT1 C4. But then I saw the interior:

I'm not too hot on nice interiors -- my Z28 is just fine by my standards -- but that's just frightening!
Old 05-23-2007, 10:56 AM

^ ^ ^ the worst part is the "climb" in and out of C4's! I've only been in a couple, and while they're actually sorta "comfy" sitting in them (you wanna talk side bolsters, they sure have side bolsters ) it would become annoying constantly getting in and out of one of those things .

... not to mention, the '80s style GM interiors, which were just beginning to find their way from vintage to modern .