2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could this mean trouble for the new Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
The towing capacity on the new Tundra is 10,800 pounds.
"starting 10,000 lbs from a dead stop isn't easy..." .

How right you are toyota, a 5,000 lb truck towing 5,000 lbs would equal 10,000 lbs. You get a gold star in math, Toyota! As well as 10 gold stars in advertising.

People have been buying the truck on impulse and are quite confused and disappointed with it's weak towing ability and poor fuel economy. Everyone else likes that it looks nice on the inside and goes "kinda fast!"...

Last edited by MarcR94v6; 05-17-2007 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
The towing capacity on the new Tundra is 10,800 pounds.
Didnt they find out that included the weight of the truck?
Old 05-17-2007, 08:57 AM

Wow...I never realized that included that weight. That's pretty sad that they have to resort to that type of advertising. I hate Toyota even more now.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:07 AM

Not sure why this made it's way onto the 09 Camaro forum, but whatever.

Yes, the tundra can tow *up to* 10,800lbs with certain regular cab configurations. The crew cab and crewmax are closer to 10,400-10,600 depending on equipment.

The COMMERCIALS are rummored to be a play on words, showing the Tundra muscleing (sp?) loads that are actually 5,000 pounds and including the weight of the truck to say things like "starting 10,000 lbs from a dead stop isn't easy," making the consumer believe that the load is 10,000lbs, when it's only half that to make the truck look better.

But in reality, it CAN tow over 10K.

As far as the supra... who gives a ****. Last weekend, driving from fl to sc, I saw about 30 corvettes. I saw zero supras, I think it's been a few years since I've seen a single one.

People who want to buy a foreign sports car will buy them reguardless.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:18 AM
BBOMG Organizer

Originally Posted by skorpion317
They advertise that the truck is moving 10,000 pounds. I remember reading somewhere that half of that weight is the truck itself.
Don't kid yourself. That new Tundra is a serious rig.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:20 PM

The only way this could be a threat to the Camaro is if it got 100 MPG.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:31 PM

If im not mistaken, the imports were priced to compete with vettes.
Thats why you see more pony cars.
Now if hyundai makes their underpowered pony for 8k less, how do you think they will sell?
Before you answer, consider all the "boy ricers"(my word) out there who havent opened their eyes to what adults drive.

Last edited by 3rdGenNut; 05-17-2007 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by skorpion317
They advertise that the truck is moving 10,000 pounds. I remember reading somewhere that half of that weight is the truck itself.
This has been proven false. That commercial showed what the truck can do with a 10,000lb trailer (with electric brakes). I apologize -- I don't have the link. I'm sure you can use Google as well as I can.

5.7L V8 Tundras can tow either 10,400 or 10,800 pounds depending on cab configuration. Oddly, the crew cab model is the one with the higher towing capacity; the extended cab has the lower.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:16 PM

Honda has made a better Harley for years but it is still not a Harley.

Camaro, there is no substitute.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:21 PM

Okay guys, but let's be realistic. More and more "loyal" domestic buyers are moving to imports and Camry, the #1 selling car is proof. We've heard all the smug BS about how "Toyota will never beat GM" and look who's on top now.

Don't try and tell me people who have owned Camaros won't buy a V8 turbocharged 2+2 muscle car from Hyundai. I've seen the most loyal GM buyers switch to imports in the last few years in scary numbers, spurred on by bad experiences with LT1 F-bodies in particular.

My decision on what to buy in 2010 will have to do with who is selling what I want, not necessarily brand loyalty. I and many others have told GM that the car to build is a SMALL 2+2 V8 sports car. They ignore that at their peril. If GM has once again prioritized a large car over the Camaro there will be trouble because it is evident from the link that Hyundai didn't make the same mistake.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dwarf Killer
Okay guys, but let's be realistic. More and more "loyal" domestic buyers are moving to imports and Camry, the #1 selling car is proof. We've heard all the smug BS about how "Toyota will never beat GM" and look who's on top now.

Don't try and tell me people who have owned Camaros won't buy a V8 turbocharged 2+2 muscle car from Hyundai. I've seen the most loyal GM buyers switch to imports in the last few years in scary numbers, spurred on by bad experiences with LT1 F-bodies in particular.

My decision on what to buy in 2010 will have to do with who is selling what I want, not necessarily brand loyalty. I and many others have told GM that the car to build is a SMALL 2+2 V8 sports car. They ignore that at their peril. If GM has once again prioritized a large car over the Camaro there will be trouble because it is evident from the link that Hyundai didn't make the same mistake.
Exactly, I have owned 5 Camaro's, and I've loved all of them. I was so excited that the Camaro was coming back, imagining an evolution of the last generation. I was completely disappointed to find out that GM decided to go retro and build what looks like a modernized 69 Camaro. I've never even owned an import, but I would own one of those Hyundai V8/RWD cars before I own one of the new Camaros. I don't want a new car that resembles something from 40 years ago.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:05 PM

Then why have I been reading so many negative reviews about the Tundra and it's towing capacity? A few reviewers even said that the salesman lied to them about towing capacity.

And lol and the last 2 posts. You may think it looks like a 69, others see modern. We're not trying to tell you people who buy Camaros won't buy a Hyundai, we're telling you straight up, most won't even consider it.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:31 AM

I don't think theres a danger of Camaro people buying a hyundai pony car...

It's important that the "sporty 2 door" people don't buy the hyundai, though.

Underestimating the enemy is a bad idea.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:08 AM

Let's not forget that Hyundai has a little wiggle room with CAFE and fuel mileage averages to dump a V-8 in a small car, and restrictions are only going to get tighter.

Plus GM already has two 2 seater sport coupes (even if they don't have a V-8) and the Corvette. Dodge is adding the Challenger to the coupe market and Chevrolet is adding the Camaro... Let's also not forget that this is a very small percentage of market share. Although it will probably be a cool car, the Hyundai will most likely be very low volume.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:32 AM

Exclamation

"I've seen the most loyal GM buyers switch to imports in the last few years in scary numbers, spurred on by bad experiences with LT1 F-bodies in particular."

Riiiiiiiiight.

Jim the Nomad is right - since you're bread-and-butter is the high volume V6 model for the Camaro, it has to appeal to the average (non-enthusiast who doesn't care about "tradition") buyer. Some of these average buyers will pick the Camaro over the Hyundai, and vice versa.
I would say the average buyer today will choose one or the other based on:
1. Which look they prefer
2. Which car has more/better options for which they are looking
3. Which car gets better gas mileage

Hopefully, a fence-sitter trying to decide between these two won't choose the Hyundai because "it's a foreign car, it's better built/better gas mileage/better resale value"...

Quick Reply: Could this mean trouble for the new Camaro?