2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Could this mean trouble for the new Camaro?

Old 05-16-2007, 08:14 PM

Could this mean trouble for the new Camaro?

Lots of chatter about this new V8 Hyundai 2+2 on the web. It's small, it seats four and it's racy looking. Someone at Hyundai is reading the market right. Reports are that it will have "well over 300hp". I suggest Hyundai is after the J35 and the 350z, but you've gotta include Camaro too. Judging by the pics this model looks almost ready to go for next year.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/10/s...ais-rwd-coupe/
Old 05-16-2007, 08:34 PM

Camaro (and Mustang) will have 40 or more years history behind it.

I think it will be like all those Japanese sports cars that came out as a cheaper Corvette (RX7, Supra, Nissan's Z-cars, etc). All are gone now and the Vette's still here mainly because people who buy Corvettes (and Camaros and Mustangs) are buying into that name and history. Sure, the others will do well, at least for awhile, due to price-value. But that doesn't mean they'll unseat US pony cars.

Like the pickup truck, we know how to be competitive in this class.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by guionM

I think it will be like all those Japanese sports cars that came out as a cheaper Corvette (RX7, Supra, Nissan's Z-cars, etc). All are gone now and the Vette's still here .....

Is the 350Z not considered a Nissan Z car?
Old 05-16-2007, 09:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by guionM

I think it will be like all those Japanese sports cars that came out as a cheaper Corvette (RX7, Supra, Nissan's Z-cars, etc). All are gone now and the Vette's still here mainly because people who buy Corvettes (and Camaros and Mustangs) are buying into that name and history. Sure, the others will do well, at least for awhile, due to price-value. But that doesn't mean they'll unseat US pony cars.

Like the pickup truck, we know how to be competitive in this class.

I don't even know where to start....

If people were buying the Camaro they would have not taken it out of production, the same goes for the GTO. a Toyota Supra, is a far superior car compared year by year to the Corvette. The RX7 surpasses the Camaro and Mustang by light years. Just my thoughts, heck the Tundra is kicking ***.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:36 PM

It looks like a damn nice car.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:41 PM

Ah yes, Hyundai....Comanding respect and fear in street racers and muscle car lovers everywhere!!!

It may be a great car- but there are lots of great cars out there- there is only one Camaro- and at the end of the day, that is what I want in my garage- next to my 2000SS.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by saroyan689
Ah yes, Hyundai....Comanding respect and fear in street racers and muscle car lovers everywhere!!!

It may be a great car- but there are lots of great cars out there- there is only one Camaro- and at the end of the day, that is what I want in my garage- next to my 2000SS.
perfectly worded my friend
Old 05-16-2007, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by MENEGRANDE

If people were buying the Camaro they would have not taken it out of production, the same goes for the GTO. a Toyota Supra, is a far superior car compared year by year to the Corvette. The RX7 surpasses the Camaro and Mustang by light years. Just my thoughts, heck the Tundra is kicking ***.
If the Supra and RX-7 were superior to Mustang and Camaro, why did neither outsell the other and the Supra is no longer in production?

Some logic, huh?

The Tundra can just barely tow 5,000 lbs.

Last edited by MarcR94v6; 05-16-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by MarcR94v6
If the Supra and RX-7 were superior to Mustang and Camaro, why did neither outsell the other and the Supra is no longer in production?
So, by your logic of sales equates a cars "greatness," a Carerra GT or Enzo or Veyron must be crap??? Obviously an absurd comparison, but the point still remains that a cars sales doesn't equate to its "greatness" for enthusiasts (who are a pathetic minority in the market).

It all boils down to the fact that they are different cars for different people. I doubt people interested in the Camaro would cross-shop a Hyundai. No matter how great the car might be.

However, people who can't quite afford something like a G37 coupe or want a back seat in a Z might be interested.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rampant
So, by your logic of sales equates a cars "greatness," a Carerra GT or Enzo or Veyron must be crap??? Obviously an absurd comparison, but the point still remains that a cars sales doesn't equate to its "greatness" for enthusiasts (who are a pathetic minority in the market).
You missed the point of my post completely, I was eluding to the fact that the person I quoted had that logic. You re-made my point without the sarcasm.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:14 AM

Two totally different markets, IMO . Maybe it's being "shallow", but a foreign brand goes into the "tuner" (aka, Ricer ) category IMO, albeit, a high-end tuner, if it's sporting a V8. But I don't think there are many people who would cross-shop a 350Z with a Mustang GT, nor do I think there will be people cross-shopping Camaros with Hyundai coupes?!

I DO like the fact that another manufacturer sees the RWD/V8 market as one with opportunity ... if their market studies show that there is interest in this department, that's good for all of us . (<-- and yes, I realize that almost contradicts my first statement, that these are separate markets! )
Old 05-17-2007, 02:53 AM

a Toyota Supra, is a far superior car compared year by year to the Corvette.

The RX7 surpasses the Camaro and Mustang by light years.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MarcR94v6
The Tundra can just barely tow 5,000 lbs.
The towing capacity on the new Tundra is 10,800 pounds.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:55 AM

I'd definitely take an 99-07 Supra over the corresponding Vette.

Oh, wait.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
The towing capacity on the new Tundra is 10,800 pounds.
They advertise that the truck is moving 10,000 pounds. I remember reading somewhere that half of that weight is the truck itself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Could this mean trouble for the new Camaro?