2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could the 6th Gen Camaro Be Based Off the 2nd Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:59 PM

Re: Could the 6th Gen Camaro Be Based Off the 2nd Gen?

I wouldn't buy that. I like the 5th gen a lot more.

Name:  9Dk7h.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  388.2 KB
Old 03-06-2012, 02:08 AM

It's not bad. But I wouldn't want the 6th Gen to look like that. I hope they evolve the 5th Gen styling forward.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:08 AM

No thanks. I'm hoping the 6th Gen gets tighter, lighter and gets a bit away from blatantly copying any previous Gen's cues.

Originally Posted by HuJass
That rendering is WAY better than any new design that a current designer could come up with.
Really, so a Photoshopped Frankenmaro looks better than any "new" design that could actually go into production? Are your expectations for the 5th Gen's successor that low? Kind of an unfair statement, to say the least.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:11 AM

The 2nd gen was a drop off in looks from the 1st gen. Why do that again?

I wouldn't even consider buying it when I can better looking cheaper used 5th gen. It's much like that ugly 1500 truck Chevy had for a few years between the 2000 and the current look.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:08 PM

i think the silverado 2500 in 2000-2003 looked better than the current silverado. the sierra now looks way better than the silverado now.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:44 PM

I like it a lot more than the current camaro....... The rendering has potential.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:19 PM

id like to see the 6th gen look nothing like any past camaro and stray away from the 5th gen camaro. no evolution stage. not like the corvette. they need to go in a totally separate direction. keep it fresh. everyone has seen this 5th gen camaro since basically 2006...i think its time for a drastic change.

and by the way....these advertising banners are driving me F'ing nuts!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Really, so a Photoshopped Frankenmaro looks better than any "new" design that could actually go into production? Are your expectations for the 5th Gen's successor that low? Kind of an unfair statement, to say the least.
Short answer, yes.
Look, the current crop of "designers" had to reach back to a late 60's design to come up with a awesome looking car. Any new design I've seen lately is nowhere NEAR as good looking as the Camaro.
Today's designers do not know how to do coupes. I certainly don't want the Camaro to turn into a G6 coupe, or Accord coupe, or C-class coupe, or Genesis coupe, or Eclipse coupe. Or even one of the 2 new GM concepts. See what I'm getting at?
The 3 best looking AND best selling coupes on the market are the Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger. I don't think that's a coincidence.
Nor do I want the Camaro to turn back into a sports car or a poor man's Corvette. It's not a sports car. It's a pony car.

And why is it an unfair statement? And who is unfair to?

Look, if the current crop of "designers" can prove me wrong and design a coupe as nice as the 5th gen, then I'll eat my words. Until then, I'm sticking with my statement.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:02 PM

If they mass produce these i don't think that it will sale. They should make this limited edition if they do make it.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:29 PM

Today's designers do not know how to do coupes. I certainly don't want the Camaro to turn into a G6 coupe, or Accord coupe, or C-class coupe, or Genesis coupe, or Eclipse coupe. Or even one of the 2 new GM concepts. See what I'm getting at?
No I don't see what you're getting at, because you're talking about two completely different target demographics. That's like worrying that the C7 is going to look like a Scion tC because both cars have two doors. GM's (and others) track record of producing great looking compact coupes may be spotty but they have never given me a reason not to think they can't do a Camaro correctly.

And why is it an unfair statement? And who is unfair to?
It's an unfair statement to GM's design team at this point. I can remember around 2004-2005, all the awkward 1st Gen Photo"chops" and drawings that were coming out here that people really liked and saw potential in. This franken2ndgen reminds me a lot of those rough renderings. The 5th Gen made those things look completely amateur, I mean almost clownish by comparison. But you'd think it's a wonder how anybody even liked it based on your logic. See what I'm getting at?

Last edited by Z28Wilson; 03-07-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
No I don't see what you're getting at, because you're talking about two completely different target demographics. That's like worrying that the C7 is going to look like a Scion tC because both cars have two doors. GM's (and others) track record of producing great looking compact coupes may be spotty but they have never given me a reason not to think they can't do a Camaro correctly.
I'm sorry you can't see where I'm coming from.
Modern designers have given me EVERY reason to not believe they can do a coupe properly. The examples I listed earlier are proof. And the tC is another example to prove they don't know what they're doing.

It's an unfair statement to GM's design team at this point. I can remember around 2004-2005, all the awkward 1st Gen Photo"chops" and drawings that were coming out here that people really liked and saw potential in. This franken2ndgen reminds me a lot of those rough renderings. The 5th Gen made those things look completely amateur, I mean almost clownish by comparison. But you'd think it's a wonder how anybody even liked it based on your logic. See what I'm getting at?
The reason why the 5th gen is so awesome is because the current designers DIDN'T try to design it. They just reached back to the era of the best looking GM cars, grabbed a design, and made it modern. If they did a clean sheet, it would have been awful. There's nothing to suggest that it wouldn't have been bad and everything to suggest it would have (recent previous & current coupes at that time).
Old 03-08-2012, 07:54 AM

Modern designers have given me EVERY reason to not believe they can do a coupe properly. The examples I listed earlier are proof. And the tC is another example to prove they don't know what they're doing.
Nevermind.

The reason why the 5th gen is so awesome is because the current designers DIDN'T try to design it. They just reached back to the era of the best looking GM cars, grabbed a design, and made it modern. If they did a clean sheet, it would have been awful. There's nothing to suggest that it wouldn't have been bad and everything to suggest it would have (recent previous & current coupes at that time).
"Didn't try to design it"? Ok...Look through this thread for a trip down memory lane. Pretty much all of them much more blatantly 1st Gen than the actual 5th Gen design turned out to be.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance...oshop-ect.html

If we're doomed to a life of completely retro-inspired pony cars from here on out, that's a sad statement and we're risking these cars getting stale, predictable and uninteresting. With these kinds of attitudes we would have never gotten the exotic '82 Camaro, or the wildly popular Fox Mustang. Think about that.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:08 AM

I really hope the 6th gen isnt based off the 2nd.

I am hoping 2 things.

- GM moves to a BMW style refresh model purely aesthetically , that is one where the car can be recognized which I think they should have done in 1969

- 1969 becomes the aesthetic styling que as a a BMW refreshing or restyle jumping off point all future Camaro's are based.

If the Camaro looses its 1969 styling queues or influence again I think that will be the time the car goes astray again.

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 03-08-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
If the Camaro looses its 1969 styling queues or influence again I think that will be the time the car goes astray again.
I might agree with you, if the 2nd and 3rd Gens were failures. They weren't - in fact, far from it, they built on Camaro's legacy/heritage.

I think everyone has gotten too gunshy because of the lukewarm reception of the 4th Gen (which was still a successful car in its own right). Yeah, if we keep spinning out variations of the '69 theme over and over and over again, it might be the safe play for a while but I think you also risk a certain amount of monotony - and that is definitely something you don't want Camaro associated with.

Last edited by Z28Wilson; 03-08-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Admin Emeritus

So how many think the next gen should look like nothing else done before and have little to no heritage reference in it? Just wondering...

Quick Reply: Could the 6th Gen Camaro Be Based Off the 2nd Gen?