2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Concept has Displacement on Demand

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 02:00 AM

Re: Concept has Displacement on Demand

Originally Posted by Josh452
Lutz looked me dead in the eye and said that GM's Hybrid II system could adapt VERY easily to a Camaro if it were to be made.

Guess that would suck for a lot of folk here.
Why would it suck, doesn't the power the electrical motors add when under heavy throttle actually make most hybrids faster than the non-hybrid models? I was pretty sure GM stated something about their new Tahoe (or whatever SUV) and Saturn Greenline crossover Hybrids accellerating faster than the standard models...

I'm not against DOD on the LS2 or 6.2l Camaros either, if it doesn't impact anything you can feel or hear like in the Hemis, why not gain some mileage on the highway?? As I understand it you're running on all 8 at idle and low speeds around town so you wouldn't notice it there either...
Old 01-13-2006, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by turbo96z28
exactly!!!!! and they still have the same amount of oil going into them so there is no extra friction to deal with.
not quite. have you ever tried to close the other end of the straw and pull in the air? exactly! if there's a vaccume in the cylinder it's almost as bad as having it full of air. i'd say the answer lies somewhere in between, but with bias toward vaccume. there has to be SOME air in there to aid the intake stroke but just enough to not hurt the exhaust stroke to bad. happy medium.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:34 AM

I have a friend who has the new Pontiac GXP with the 5.3L V8 DOD engine. Trust me when I tell you you cannot tell the difference when it's running in 4 cylinder mode or 8 cylinder mode.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:22 AM

FYI the DOD system only activates above 25 mph and it doesn't have to be in top gear. It only has to be at part throttle. The engine runs on 8 cyls at idle.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:43 AM

I think AFM/DOD is great, and a Two-Mode Hyrbid would bring the Camaro into the hearts of treehuggers. Imagine people spending 10k over sticker for a hybrid Camaro?!?!? GM would not know what ot do with itself.
It all looks good on paper, and us online-engineers and designers and all of us arm-chair product planners sure llike the idea. It would bring Camaro into a new light, and help shed the gas guzzling muscle car image.
Could you imagine? Id say that a standard LS2 in a 3700lb Camaro could get you 19/24 with 6spd auto? I forgot what the GTO's numbers are, I assume it will be close. What are the possibilites of having all of this technology combined? Lets look at a 5.3 equiped Camaro with a 6spd auto. You ahve VVT, AFM, have it run on E85, two mode hybrid system, and a low rear gear ratio. Could you imagine what kind of gas savings we could be looking at? It could seriously be a power house and a half, and wouldnt cost that much do develop because it already exists! the 5.3 VVT with AFM and running on E85 exists for trucks. Throw in the hyrbid system, a low 3.08 gear ratio, and everything is gravy.
And Im just thinking here now, if you had AFM and hyrbid, you would have technicly 3 engine modes, full out V8, 4cyl, and electric motor.
Anyway, im ranting...
Old 01-13-2006, 04:01 PM

How much gas mileage does the concept actually get? I've read 30mpg everywhere, but someone pointed out to me that the LA Auto Show official site says the concept gets 40mpg.
http://www.laautoshow.com/2006/concepts.aspx
Old 01-13-2006, 05:29 PM

As long as performance isn't hurt (which it isn't) and I can still idle through parking lots with 8-cyl sound, who cares.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by morb|d
not quite. have you ever tried to close the other end of the straw and pull in the air? exactly! if there's a vaccume in the cylinder it's almost as bad as having it full of air. i'd say the answer lies somewhere in between, but with bias toward vaccume. there has to be SOME air in there to aid the intake stroke but just enough to not hurt the exhaust stroke to bad. happy medium.
As I understand it, the valves are closed and the cylinder is full of air. It takes energy to compress the air, but most of it is returned when the air is allowed to expand (kind of like an air spring).
Old 01-13-2006, 06:13 PM

I guess Active Fuel Management sounds more fuel efficient than Displacement On Demand. Personally, I'd rather have AFM over a Hybrid design. It would also be nice if there was a deactivation switch on the higher end models.

Question. If a base V8 Camaro with AFM is just as efficient as a standard V6, does there even need to be a V6 Camaro?
Old 01-14-2006, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by RighteousReaper
How much gas mileage does the concept actually get? I've read 30mpg everywhere, but someone pointed out to me that the LA Auto Show official site says the concept gets 40mpg.
http://www.laautoshow.com/2006/concepts.aspx
Anybody?
Old 01-14-2006, 03:03 AM

30mpg straight from Lutz during the unveiling.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:15 AM

Thanks
Old 01-14-2006, 05:57 AM
SEMA Media Team

AFM/DOD, who cares build the damn thing!
Old 01-14-2006, 07:15 AM

I'm curious to know what the 'real world' fuel savings are with DoD on the GM engines. Anyone able to give their mileage figures?

I know that MDS on the 300C does not seem to be of much benefit to the Hemi 5.7L.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by turbo96z28
i have no problem with it as long as it's optional and doesn't end up on the performance models standard.

i mean, the LS7 puts down almost 30mpg without it.
Agreed. The problem I would see with AFM or DOD would be maint. down the road, I mean what kind of problems are we looking at witht these systems? I can see it right now, an 8 running on 4 all the time because of some computer glitch. I know technology is good and all but my experiances with it havent been good... I would like to see it as an option rather than standard on the 8's.

Just my .02

Jared

Quick Reply: Concept has Displacement on Demand