2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Concept has Displacement on Demand

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 09:32 PM

Concept has Displacement on Demand

Autoweek says that the concept has displacement on demand. I guess this would be nice as long as there is a button to disable it. I would rather not hear a 4 cylinder everytime I come to a stoplight. I imagine I would use it on long highway trips though. As long as I am on the topic of uneeded technology, I do not want a navigation system or valves in the exhaust that change flow rate like on the z06, and I hope the traction control can be disabled so we can still do burnouts. I also really hope leather seats are not bundled in with other desirable options like premium sound systems. Leather seats, in my opinion, are stupid. They are cold or hot, and you slide around in them and they are harder to take care of. All of these options are unneeded and add cost. What are your thoughts on DOD and other options?
Old 01-12-2006, 09:44 PM

Re: Concept has Displacement on Demand

I like the idea of DOD. I would like to see GM using it more and more and then advertise it! I have even wondered if it would be possible to use it on a 4 cylinder and get mileage like a hybrid without the added cost or complexity
Old 01-12-2006, 09:44 PM

I'm with you I don't even trust a motor running on 4 with to much to give trouble and gas mileage unless its way down to 10 or 12 I could care less about as long as it runs good and fast
Old 01-12-2006, 09:48 PM

Somewhere I heard that a V8 missing on one cylinder looses 17% of it's power.. lose two and you're down to less than 60%. How does the engine reduce drag on the "dead" cylinders to a point where it could run on half of the available cylinders?
You would think that drag due to friction (cylinder walls, bearings, ect) as well as the air being moved by the piston would cause an extreme amount of power loss.

If a "normal" V8 is missing on 4 cylinders, I don't even think it could carry itself, let along a 2 ton car.
How does GM's DOD work?
Old 01-12-2006, 10:01 PM

If DOD does find it's ay into the Camaro production car, then at least it will have been around for a few years and potential problems could be fixed. I am a little hesitant of the idea but if it performs well and doesn't hurt the "modability" of the car, then I don't have a problem with it.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:09 PM

I drove a Magnum RT with the DOD Hemi and you can't tell it does it. There is no indication and no change in engine sound. GM's technology is similar to that of Chrysler. I belive they worked on the technology as part of a joint venture.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by RhinoSS
How does GM's DOD work?
taken from GM's website:
WASHINGTON (Feb. 16, 2005) — General Motors has announced that the 2005 Grand Prix and the 2006 Monte Carlo and Impala will join the GMC Envoy XL, Envoy XUV and Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT in providing Active Fuel Management fuel-saving technology.

Active Fuel Management will be a standard feature in the vehicles' optional 5.3-liter V-8 engine. The more efficient engine will boost the fuel efficiency of these vehicles by about 8 percent (based on an EPA testing procedure).

By 2008, more than 2 million vehicles with the V-8 and V-6 engines will feature Active Fuel Management.

Both customers and the environment will benefit from the engines' improved fuel economy. In addition, GM owners won't have to sacrifice superior engine performance and power to go farther on a tank of gas. "Active Fuel Management will enhance fuel economy without compromising performance or the ability to carry heavy loads," said Dan Nicholson, GM Powertrain chief engineer of small-block V-8 engines. "We will be able to deliver the same top-of-the-line performance with less effort and energy. That's the essence of efficiency."

Enabled by GM's powerful electronic powertrain controls, Active Fuel Management saves fuel by using only half of the engine's cylinders during most normal driving conditions. When loads are light, the control system automatically closes both intake and exhaust valves for half of the cylinders, cutting off their air and fuel supply. The fuel supply resumes and the valves are reopened to provide all-cylinder operation when the driver needs it for quick acceleration or for hauling heavy loads.

The V-8 engine always starts on eight cylinders, and in the case of the V-6 engine, six cylinders. But once the vehicle has accelerated to speed, the engine control module activates Active Fuel Management, providing improved fuel economy through a relatively inexpensive change in displacement to meet the vehicle load requirements.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:55 PM

You would think that the constaint compression/decompression of the air would rob a lot of horsepower. I understand the concept, but just feel that they would lose way to much horsepower to make it economical.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:16 PM

one thing you have to take into account is that this feature only activates at cruising speed. when the car is in top gear (manual or auto) at highway speeds, the engine really dioesn't have a significant load on it, which is hiow they get away with alternatley killing off 4 cylinders every full cycle of the engine.

i can best put it like this. think of a 4th gen LT1 car. how much throttle do you really need to give it to maintain 65mph?
Old 01-12-2006, 11:20 PM

Lutz looked me dead in the eye and said that GM's Hybrid II system could adapt VERY easily to a Camaro if it were to be made.

Guess that would suck for a lot of folk here.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:29 PM

Here maybe, but for the genral populace, I think it would be great. Face it, we are varying degrees of gear heads, from road racers, to street cruiser/racers to hardcore 1/4 milers. However, 90% of the Camaro's and firebirds made never saw a track in their life (not quantifiable, but I think you get my drift), and for the average perosn who wants a sporty v-8 car, that gets mid 30's , I would think that it is a great option; as long as it doesn't compromise the handling or weight of the car for those who DON'T want it.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:57 PM

The valves of the deactivated cylinders stay closed so there is no air to pump in or out and there is no air to compress.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
The valves of the deactivated cylinders stay closed so there is no air to pump in or out and there is no air to compress.

exactly!!!!! and they still have the same amount of oil going into them so there is no extra friction to deal with.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Josh452
Lutz looked me dead in the eye and said that GM's Hybrid II system could adapt VERY easily to a Camaro if it were to be made.

Guess that would suck for a lot of folk here.
I don't see how it would suck. It is bound to happen to the pony cars sooner or later anyway. Maybe the Camaro will actually be first to recieve it in its class? That would be a pretty innovative move by GM.

Then again, it is going to add more weight to a car tha many people are already complaining about weight on. There is no win-win it seems.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by RussStang
I don't see how it would suck. It is bound to happen to the pony cars sooner or later anyway. Maybe the Camaro will actually be first to recieve it in its class? That would be a pretty innovative move by GM.

Then again, it is going to add more weight to a car tha many people are already complaining about weight on. There is no win-win it seems.

i have no problem with it as long as it's optional and doesn't end up on the performance models standard.

i mean, the LS7 puts down almost 30mpg without it.

Quick Reply: Concept has Displacement on Demand