2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Cole Hamels has a new camaro!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 10:25 AM

so does anyone know if he is the first to get a production camaro?
i know that select VIP get the cars but is he the first,outside the GM circle, to get one?
Old 10-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
so does anyone know if he is the first to get a production camaro?
i know that select VIP get the cars but is he the first,outside the GM circle, to get one?
I am pretty sure that is one of the preproduction cars only being used as a placeholder. It would have been pointless from Chevrolet marketing to just tell him he won a new Camaro on national TV without being able to show the world what he "won". Marketing baby...marketing.

I can only imagine the look on his face after the cameras cut away and someone leaned in and said quietly, "Um...well...the thing is...you don't get this one now, but you will get one just like it...in March."

Might be a progression like this...
--> --> -->
Old 10-30-2008, 10:52 AM
Admin Emeritus

Since I almost forgot to mention...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...mktid=cj260233

This is just the kind of person GM needs to have seen driving its cars.
In the focus groups, the topic of spokespeople was bought up more than once. There were tons of suggestions from one oend of the spectrum to the other (who was suggested is another thread entirely, someone can make a spinoff thread about it) but this was a terrific idea to give one the World Series MVP.

Nice job, John!
Old 10-30-2008, 11:00 AM

AHHHHHHHHHH!

Isn't this just poetic justice for a Professional Athlete???

I can't imagine the feeling. Let's see ....

Came up through High School where all the coaches "helped him with his education" so he could focus on his Baseball career. Got a great ride to some college where he probably never even went to a single class...got the same "help" that he got back in High School....Got called up before he even graduated. In no time at all, found himself at the end of a season where he had his opponent's back against the wall. Wins the World Series before he turns 21...becomes the MVP of the series....

Has some dude throw him keys to a car that everyone in North America wants and hasn't even been built yet only to have that same dude get the keys back moments later.

Wow. Call my mother a ***** and kick me in the *****. That would absolutely suck.

I actually know nothing about this guy or how he came up. I thought stuff like that only happened to blue collar guys.

Congrats anyway Lucky Kid,
-Ivan
Old 10-30-2008, 11:01 AM

Definitely great marketing. Good to see since the marketing for the 4th gen was abysmal.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Gripenfelter
Definitely great marketing. Good to see since the marketing for the 4th gen was abysmal.
There was a marketing program for the Fourth Gens??

Two ideas that are rarely heard in the same sentence - "Marketing" and "Fourth Gen."

lmao,
-Ivan
Old 10-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by IPrice
Wow. Call my mother a ***** and kick me in the *****. That would absolutely suck.
I don't know your mom well enough to call her names, but I do know that this situation is not uncommon at all. For example, I believe that on game shows like the Price is Right, when there is a new car on the stage, they don't actually get that very car. It is for display purposes only.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

The wait would kill me, but winning a new 5th gen would absolutely not suck, ever.

There was a marketing program for the Fourth Gens??
Sure, there were a handful of TV ads. My favorite was the one with the two kids listening to cars drive by, one watching out the window and quizzing the other on what the makes and models were. Then an LT1 Z28 goes by, and he gets all excited... "A 285-horsepower Chevy Camaro Z28." His friend says, "Yeah, but what color?"

I also always liked the one where the LS1 WS6 pulls up behind an exotic (Lambo, IIRC) at a red light and eats it.

I'd find them on YouTube, but I can't access it from work.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Sure, there were a handful of TV ads. My favorite was the one with the two kids listening to cars drive by, one watching out the window and quizzing the other on what the makes and models were.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZwONYWUu0Y

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I also always liked the one where the LS1 WS6 pulls up behind an exotic (Lambo, IIRC) at a red light and eats it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCtipr5B0Hk

Some of my favorites were the commercials when the C6 came out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtxUBXBl_E4

And the Cobalt/Corvette series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_owBAYwWrG0 - Sleep
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9R6hXXgjn4 - Get Away With More
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBs5FuCN8nE - Bump
Old 10-30-2008, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
I am pretty sure that is one of the preproduction cars only being used as a placeholder. It would have been pointless from Chevrolet marketing to just tell him he won a new Camaro on national TV without being able to show the world what he "won". Marketing baby...marketing.

I can only imagine the look on his face after the cameras cut away and someone leaned in and said quietly, "Um...well...the thing is...you don't get this one now, but you will get one just like it...in March."

Might be a progression like this...
--> --> -->
i thought that they said there was going to be a handfull of camaros run this month to give out to certain people? wouldnt this be one of those handfuls that they give out.
its kind of the same idea that they had with the escalades when they came out. travis barker from blink 182 had on in december of 05 right before they came out in april of 06 as an 07.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:54 PM

I don't know your mom well enough to call her names, but I do know that this situation is not uncommon at all. For example, I believe that on game shows like the Price is Right, when there is a new car on the stage, they don't actually get that very car. It is for display purposes only.
This same thing happened with the '06 World Series when the Cardinals won. David Eckstein won the series MVP and won a Corvette because of it. They brought out a yellow one, but he ended up getting to pick the color he wanted. I specifically remember reading the article.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:35 PM

For once, I wish I had watched baseball.
Dammit! I watched the 6th-8th inning - then I finished dinner and turned it off...
Old 10-30-2008, 04:29 PM

For once, I wish I had watched baseball.
for once, playing baseball would have been worth it ...baseball is so boring
Old 10-30-2008, 07:21 PM

I'm sure Hamels doesn't even care about the wait. He's probably already got like 4-5 different cars, and will give the Camaro to his little brother or something...
Old 10-31-2008, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Supermans
Actually it is a V8 LS3 Manual in there with the V6 front bumper and RS package. This is the same one they wouldn't open the hood for everyone to see the motor during Indy. So this is one of a kind, unless you buy an SS/RS and swap the front bumper with someone else who ordered regular V6 later on..
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
if you saw an rs badge it was a v6. the ss /rs only has the ss badge in red.
First is more likely correct. The Camaro they had at GM powertrain in Buffalo,NY a couple months ago had RS badging on it but it was a V8 LS3 manual tranny car. Don't trust what you see (or what you don't) in pre-production...

Quick Reply: Cole Hamels has a new camaro!