2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro ZL1 by the Numbers: 3.9 Seconds, 184 mph, $54,995

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 02:18 PM

Re: Camaro ZL1 by the Numbers: 3.9 Seconds, 184 mph, $54,995

Seems like a pretty fair price. Would be hard to turn down the idea of getting a ZL1 if you were looking at a new SS and planned on modding it.

I'd probably end up getting a SLP ZL 575 because I think it will be rarer in the future.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by jcamere94z28

and the engineering guys... at Ford saying... "crap... how the hell are we gonna do that???
You're joking right?
Old 11-15-2011, 04:53 PM

The current GT500 starts at around $49k. That gives them plenty of room to play with.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:53 PM

Not that I love the idea of $55K and Camaro but all things considered... It's sitting in about the right spot all the way around.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:43 PM

Pretty nice performance numbers I thought around 54K would be the number.
The warranty to me is the advantage with this car, My car cost alot less to build and should have more power (waiting on the dyno numbers now) and be faster but I have no warranty and its just a 1SS no matter what I do to it although that is fine with me

Im just happy GM made this car even though its not for me
Old 11-16-2011, 09:36 AM

that price isnt too bad. right about where i thought it would be. some pretty impressive performance numbers too.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:47 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Some food for thought:

>The ZL1 is more than just straight line acceleration....it's a well-balanced performance car that will take on cars costing much much more. Yes, fast in a straight line - but the handling of the car will amaze many. Moreover, the ride of the car is not compromised in the least.

>There are also Camaros available for straight line acceleration - from SLP/Berger/Tom Henry etc...... They do not have the handling that the ZL1 will have - but again, it depends on what you're looking for.......

>It does not surprise us in the least that Ford announced their '13 GT-500 at Los Angeles - after all, it's the nature of a competitive business.

>Someone on another website was highly critical of GM (and Ford) in that we keep making improvements each year (rather than let things alone for a year or two) ...and frankly I am at a loss............

>We are never done..........never. We also know that we have 'two mouths to feed' when it comes to performance at Chevy - the Camaro and the Corvette - versus the Mustang......... So while they can claim 650hp -- a few things need to be seen: First - how will they be able to put all that power to the ground? Second - I have some reservations about their claim to gas guzzler - as I have to think they are still working on the development of the car...... Third - there's this car called the ZR1...............

The good news for you, the customer? Competition means that we must always be on our game - to ensure we're bringing you the best.

Someone tried to blister us on another site last evening - that Chevy had completely dropped the ball with the ZL1 and that we should just forget about building it at this point...........:rol leyes:
Frankly I'm proud of the work we've done as a company -- yes, Ford is claiming 650hp - but let's take a look at the performace portfolio at GM, shall we?

CTS-V Family
Corvette
Camaro
......Not exactly shabby.

that said - we have many more tricks up our sleeves in the future...the only concern: Government intervention into the auto sector.............

meanwhile - we ARE in the golden age of automobiles............
Old 11-16-2011, 09:50 AM

wow, slow down with the Kool-aid already.

you guys are living in fantasy land.

people who want a 911 will get a 911. or an audi or a ..................

this car will not sell. the real reason for the limited production is to cover for the fact that it is a poor offering.

it is out classed the day it is announced by the new shelby.

speed limited to 187? really? for a road race car? what f-ing moron thought this would not be an embarrasment?

the quarter from a rolling start? for all that money you couldnt get it to hook? it really so bad that you HAD to publish a "rolling" start?

its engine has a junk rotating assembly. the shelby is all forged stuff. that means you wont be able to signifigantly upgrade the power without making it a may-pop motor.

who gives a **** how fast itll do the ring? there are how many road race tracks in this country? there is a drag strip (or two) in every major city.

by the time the stealers, i mean dealers get done gouging on the price, 90% of these cars will wind up just like the original ZR-1 vettes, that is, on stands in some rich jackasses garage as an "investment". most of the rest will be "rubber" cars, owned by a bunch of fudds who will drive them 25 mph to the car show, then rub on them all day.

thanks for helping out the Camaro faithful. if you believe the only true happiness is wanting something, youve won.

+1300 ggt
+10000 (dealer adjustment)
+5000 options
= 72995
+ 5840 tax
= 78,8835 to get a tag on it.

wow, i make 100k/yr, have a 775 credit score, and am single. i thought i was the target customer. guess not now.

i am a multiple camaro owner, and was hoping this car would be reasonably attainable. i can not justify spending that much money for a car with so many sad comprimises/mistakes in it.

Houston.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:52 PM

who gives a **** how fast itll do the ring?

i do....

oh and biginch...dont get mad at GM for your dealer marking you up 10K....thats your/their fault...not GM/Chevy's

Last edited by 2010_5thgen; 11-16-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
Some food for thought:

>The ZL1 is more than just straight line acceleration....it's a well-balanced performance car that will take on cars costing much much more. Yes, fast in a straight line - but the handling of the car will amaze many. Moreover, the ride of the car is not compromised in the least.

>There are also Camaros available for straight line acceleration - from SLP/Berger/Tom Henry etc...... They do not have the handling that the ZL1 will have - but again, it depends on what you're looking for.......

>It does not surprise us in the least that Ford announced their '13 GT-500 at Los Angeles - after all, it's the nature of a competitive business.

>Someone on another website was highly critical of GM (and Ford) in that we keep making improvements each year (rather than let things alone for a year or two) ...and frankly I am at a loss............

>We are never done..........never. We also know that we have 'two mouths to feed' when it comes to performance at Chevy - the Camaro and the Corvette - versus the Mustang......... So while they can claim 650hp -- a few things need to be seen: First - how will they be able to put all that power to the ground? Second - I have some reservations about their claim to gas guzzler - as I have to think they are still working on the development of the car...... Third - there's this car called the ZR1...............

The good news for you, the customer? Competition means that we must always be on our game - to ensure we're bringing you the best.

Someone tried to blister us on another site last evening - that Chevy had completely dropped the ball with the ZL1 and that we should just forget about building it at this point...........:rol leyes:
Frankly I'm proud of the work we've done as a company -- yes, Ford is claiming 650hp - but let's take a look at the performace portfolio at GM, shall we?

CTS-V Family
Corvette
Camaro
......Not exactly shabby.

that said - we have many more tricks up our sleeves in the future...the only concern: Government intervention into the auto sector.............

meanwhile - we ARE in the golden age of automobiles............
when i saw the mustang numbers...first thing i thought was " i hope their not gonna use those puney tires on that much power" thats too much power for that car . 99% of the mustang drivers wont know what to do with it. most will end up in junk yards or body shops. also, im sure it will be pushing close, if not over, ZR1 price range. from what the ZL1 has, compared to ANY GT500...id pick the ZL1 to race around a track and WIN over a GT500 with even 800 HP. horsepower is great, but it means nothing if you cant use it. and the tires are the weakest link with that power.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
oh and biginch...dont get mad at GM for your dealer marking you up 10K....thats your/their fault...not GM/Chevy's
my fault? i as a matter of principle will never, ever , e v e r, pay a markup on a new car. GM facilitates this stupidity by limiting supply.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:09 PM

when i saw the mustang numbers...first thing i thought was " i hope their not gonna use those puney tires on that much power" thats too much power for that car . 99% of the mustang drivers wont know what to do with it. most will end up in junk yards or body shops. also, im sure it will be pushing close, if not over, ZR1 price range.
Yes, tires are going to be the limiting factor for acceleration on the Shelby, but the same holds true for the ZL1. Luckily for owners of both, they're pretty easy to change. There ae plenty of Shelbys out there with power levels anywhere from as much to WAY more than than the '13. Every Super Snake since 2010, for example. Not to mention the ones guys have modded themselves. And guess what. "Most" are not in junkyards or body shops. They're just fine.

And if you actually believe the standard GT500 will be aproaching $100,000 you are positively deluded.

Last edited by Freak; 11-16-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:31 PM

yes, but theres a difference from buying a 650+hp car and building. building it yourself, you know what your getting into. any bum off the streets can go buy this mustang off the showroom floor though. and the camaros advantage with tires is that its running a 11" wide rear wheel and 10" wide front.... easily able to fit a 315 in the back and a 295 up front if they wanted to change just tires. and yes i think the gt500 will be coming in quite a bit higher than the ones now. i dont think i said new zr1 but definately new z06 price range....of which i would pick the z06 any day of the week for track use over a gt500.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:39 PM

i dont think i said new zr1
You did, about 2 hours before you posted this.

it will be pushing close, if not over, ZR1 price range
Old 11-16-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by biginch
wow, slow down with the Kool-aid already.

you guys are living in fantasy land.

people who want a 911 will get a 911. or an audi or a ..................

this car will not sell. the real reason for the limited production is to cover for the fact that it is a poor offering.

it is out classed the day it is announced by the new shelby.

speed limited to 187? really? for a road race car? what f-ing moron thought this would not be an embarrasment?

the quarter from a rolling start? for all that money you couldnt get it to hook? it really so bad that you HAD to publish a "rolling" start?

its engine has a junk rotating assembly. the shelby is all forged stuff. that means you wont be able to signifigantly upgrade the power without making it a may-pop motor.

who gives a **** how fast itll do the ring? there are how many road race tracks in this country? there is a drag strip (or two) in every major city.

by the time the stealers, i mean dealers get done gouging on the price, 90% of these cars will wind up just like the original ZR-1 vettes, that is, on stands in some rich jackasses garage as an "investment". most of the rest will be "rubber" cars, owned by a bunch of fudds who will drive them 25 mph to the car show, then rub on them all day.

thanks for helping out the Camaro faithful. if you believe the only true happiness is wanting something, youve won.

+1300 ggt
+10000 (dealer adjustment)
+5000 options
= 72995
+ 5840 tax
= 78,8835 to get a tag on it.

wow, i make 100k/yr, have a 775 credit score, and am single. i thought i was the target customer. guess not now.

i am a multiple camaro owner, and was hoping this car would be reasonably attainable. i can not justify spending that much money for a car with so many sad comprimises/mistakes in it.

Houston.
There are currently plenty of dealers that will be selling the ZL1 right from the start at MSRP and not a dime higher, including a major dealer near where I live. You have to also remember, this car is a limited production car and not for the masses. As far as the GT500, the only reason for the huge increase in HP to 650 is because with 540 HP that POS couldn't put the power down with horrible 0-60 times with that much HP! And despite the increase in HP for the GT500, it is still the same unattractive vehicle it has been all along.

Quick Reply: Camaro ZL1 by the Numbers: 3.9 Seconds, 184 mph, $54,995