2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Camaro to be discontinued after 2016: say what?!

Old 12-08-2014, 10:50 AM

Camaro to be discontinued after 2016: say what?!

I was talking cars with a coworker a bit ago and he mentiond something which stunned me. He said it has been announced GM is not making Camaros after 2016. Say what?! He mentioned he saw this on Fox news. I searched the Internet and found all kinds of articles mentioning this. Check this out:

Chevrolet Camaro to be Discontinued in 2016

Is this true? Surely not!
Old 12-08-2014, 11:25 AM
Admin Emeritus

Re: Camaro to be discontinued after 2016: say what?!

No, it is not true. Far from true. It is supposed to be a joke, but not very funny becasue the humor is hard to see. It would make a much better April 1 prank.

Look closely at the image.
Then read the copy.

After Ford's announcement of the 2015 Mustang, General Motors has decided to call it quits on the Camaro nameplate, citing the highly competitive nature of the market segment.
Camaro has outsold the Mustang since the 5th gen was released.

Rumor has it there will be a successor, reviving a previous nameplate. With this move, they aim to recapture their dominance in the market of those buyer's who are nostalgic for the '90s, and should have just bought a Camaro anyway.
Look at the image again. Yeah...the joke is saying they will cancel the Camaro and then bring back the Beretta in its place.

Har har har.

(I had two Berettas back in the day and loved them.)
Old 12-08-2014, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
No, it is not true. Far from true. It is supposed to be a joke, but not very funny becasue the humor is hard to see. It would make a much better April 1 prank.

Look closely at the image.
Then read the copy.

Camaro has outsold the Mustang since the 5th gen was released.

Look at the image again. Yeah...the joke is saying they will cancel the Camaro and then bring back the Beretta in its place.

Har har har.

(I had two Berettas back in the day and loved them.)
I had a hard time taking it seriously. I know good and well GM is coming out with something new Camaro-wise in 2016.

Well that's a good joke. I didn't even notice the image. To me (and everyone here ultimately), it's making sense now.

The thing that is flooring me is several people here at work actually think GM is cancelling the Camaro. They may want to stay on top of this. The first person who told me this said Fox News actually reported on it.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:18 PM
Admin Emeritus

I don't know what it is with cars, but people sure do like to either easily believe fake stuff, or make it up. I don't think I see it happening quite the same way with other product segments. I know I have been guilty of jumping the gun on rumors myself, I think we all have but it sure is strong with cars. Maybe it is because we are all so passionate about them.

I hear stuff like this all the time. Here's a made up conversation but pieced together from many that I have had.

"I heard that they are bringing the Firebird back."

Oh yeah? Who said that?

"A guy I know who works at GM. If anyone knows, he does."

Oh yeah? What's his name?

"Um...well, I mean a guy I know whose brother works at GM. He did say they are testing it at Nurbring (yes, they say it wrong all the time) but I don't want to say his name and get him in trouble. It is all top-secret, hush-hush stuff you know.

But he told his brother, who then told you, and now you are (sorta) telling me?

"Yeah, well...Fox News already reported on it so the cat's out of the bag."

Fox News did? Okay...what's the link? I'd like to read the article.

"I don't know...I didn't read it but I don't need the link, I know it is fact."

When I have these conversations, I am not cold or rude as implied above, but I do like to ask questions to see if I can get to the source. 99% of the time, I cannot get to the source. We all know why.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by JasonD
I don't know what it is with cars, but people sure do like to either easily believe fake stuff, or make it up. I don't think I see it happening quite the same way with other product segments. I know I have been guilty of jumping the gun on rumors myself, I think we all have but it sure is strong with cars. Maybe it is because we are all so passionate about them.

::snip::
Interesting comment.

We go through life being exposed to and affected by several things. Some of things are very brief in time. Some things last a long time, possibly the rest of our life.

Take work as an example. I believe a stat came out a while back which says the average adult will spend 75% of their life at work. Ouch. Other items which stay with us a long time could be a spouse (hopefully, if we choose well... ) or a house. Certainly those things stay with us for a long time and we can get very attached to them. However, there is only so much we can do about those items for various reasons.

Take a house as an example. It's large and expensive. Yeah, we buy a house but once you get it, how much can you change it? Between the work and the money involved, there is only so much a typical person can do with a house.

Our jobs is another example of this. We get a job and we either like or hate it. Yeah, we can change jobs, transfer to other departments, etc.. but typically we get a job and it is what is and it stays with us for pretty much all of our lives.

A car is one thing we get, which is expensive and stays with us a while, that we have a say about, both from before we buy it and while we own it. You have a car for 4 years and you want to change it up a bit? Spend a [relatively] small amount of money and have a custom stereo put in. A car is something we spend a lot of time with and we have LOT control over which makes it easy to project who we are to others.

That's what makes a car so special and unique. It's one of the few things in our life we can all substantially work on for little money/effort and change while making it uniquely ours which will stay with us for a long time.

Just my 2 cents. What do I know...
Old 12-10-2014, 08:57 PM

Yup all true...even the Firebird stuff