2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Camaro Disciples Meeting Again in Detroit in 2010! PROVIDE YOUR INPUT!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 12:32 AM

I love the current car the way it is. In my eyes, i think it is the best looking car on the street. I get butterflies in my stomach everytime I see one. I was driving down the freeway a few days ago in my 97 Z28. I look in the rear view mirror and see a pair of halos coming at me. It was like a shark stalking its prey, awesome!
My only real concerns are, and I think everyone agrees.

1. Weight.
While it may not be as heavy as some people make it out to be.
It wouldnt hurt to lighten it up a bit. Lighter wheels and tires, aluminum front/rear subframes and suspension components. That right there would save 100lbs at the minimum and help performance and fuel consumption. But Im sure I dont have to tell you(GM engineers). That just where I would start if I was in your shoes.
I work at a full service shop and recently had the privilege of servicing an SS.
One of the first things I noticed while standing under the car while it was on the lift was this.

As great as the chasis control is on this car, I think there is one obvious way to improve it. Now Im no structural engineer, but I couldnt help but wonder how much weight could be dropped by turning that steel into aluminum. Same goes for the front.

2. Z28
If forced induction is to be used. FORGED PISTONS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For our sake(overboosting) And your sake(Warranty claims)

3. Interior
I have driven and sat in several 2010s and have no complaints about it.
But there are many that do have issues with it, so it is a real concern.

Also I think a mid level performance car would be cool. And as cool as it would be, an LS7 would be a bit too pricey. How bout this option.
7.0 liter block and crank, PM rods with good cap bolts,LS7 pistons, LS3 heads and intake, LS3 wet sump oiling.
SS427, has a nice ring to it dont it? Call it the LS5 LS8 or L72 even!
Way cheaper than an LS7, run damn good, and not step on anyones shoes(Corvette).

Last edited by GMRL; 04-08-2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:11 PM

Big wheels =
Mail Slot =
Where is the convertible already?
Old 04-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 5thgencrazy68
Jetstream blue for the SS.
Or Impulse Blue, or Lemans Blue Metallic, or -- my personal favorite -- Electron Blue!
Old 04-08-2010, 10:05 PM

I like the mailslot.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:37 AM

I love the mailslot>>>just make it functional >>>>
Old 04-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

I like the hood scoop on the Transformers 2 Camaro and the concept Z28 drawings about eleventybillion times better than the mail slot.

As long as it's functional.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I like the hood scoop on the Transformers 2 Camaro and the concept Z28 drawings about eleventybillion times better than the mail slot.

As long as it's functional.
This!!

I absolutely LOVED Bumblebee in Transformers two. I eventually want to paint a 5th gen in Bumblebee color.
Seeing that car on an IMAX screen gave me chills!
Old 04-09-2010, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by 426HPSS
I love the mailslot>>>just make it functional >>>>
Even better -- make it optional and functional.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by GMRL
I love the current car the way it is. In my eyes, i think it is the best looking car on the street. I get butterflies in my stomach everytime I see one. I was driving down the freeway a few days ago in my 97 Z28. I look in the rear view mirror and see a pair of halos coming at me. It was like a shark stalking its prey, awesome!
My only real concerns are, and I think everyone agrees.

1. Weight.
While it may not be as heavy as some people make it out to be.
It wouldnt hurt to lighten it up a bit. Lighter wheels and tires, aluminum front/rear subframes and suspension components. That right there would save 100lbs at the minimum and help performance and fuel consumption. But Im sure I dont have to tell you(GM engineers). That just where I would start if I was in your shoes.
I work at a full service shop and recently had the privilege of servicing an SS.
One of the first things I noticed while standing under the car while it was on the lift was this.

As great as the chasis control is on this car, I think there is one obvious way to improve it. Now Im no structural engineer, but I couldnt help but wonder how much weight could be dropped by turning that steel into aluminum. Same goes for the front.

2. Z28
If forced induction is to be used. FORGED PISTONS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For our sake(overboosting) And your sake(Warranty claims)

3. Interior
I have driven and sat in several 2010s and have no complaints about it.
But there are many that do have issues with it, so it is a real concern.

Also I think a mid level performance car would be cool. And as cool as it would be, an LS7 would be a bit too pricey. How bout this option.
7.0 liter block and crank, PM rods with good cap bolts,LS7 pistons, LS3 heads and intake, LS3 wet sump oiling.
SS427, has a nice ring to it dont it? Call it the LS5 LS8 or L72 even!
Way cheaper than an LS7, run damn good, and not step on anyones shoes(Corvette).
All the aluminum you are talking about adding to lighten the car up would drive the price of the Camaro up significantly.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:43 PM

I waited a long time to add to this thread. I wanted to see what GM changed for the 2011 Camaro. For the most part I like it. HUD is great. More HP for the V6 is all for marketing and I understand that on paper it will trump the 2011 Mustang V6.
Synergy green available on all models is a fix to an issue that never should have happened. It should always have been available on all models.

-I'd like to see the ABL across the dash completed as intended. I think it was a great idea in inception and wish it had and can make it to production.

-A victory red interior trim kit should either be an option on the production car or from GM performance parts. Offer it with the Inferno Orange ABL.

-IMO if the Z/28 is to be a LSA powered 4000 lb + beast then either scrap the name or scrap the program. I'd much rather see development money spend on refining the Camaro and maybe developing a track pack option for the SS.

-Call it 1LE. Upgrade the suspension, GMPP Hurst shifter, 3.73 or 3.90 gears. Maybe a upgraded exhaust system like what's offered from GMPP. Advertise it at 435HP or something a bit more than the standard LS3 SS. Forget a soft ride the 1LE is for those who want performance and handling more than a nice ride. Take the gloves off the 5th Gen Camaro SS and bring in the deveopment and handling prowness that brought is the Z06, Grand Sport and CTS-V!

-Camaro LS7 wheel option.

Keep up the good work.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:10 PM

99SilverSS I am sure they are working on a suspension package and will offer up gear choices. I expect to see that for the 2012 model myself.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:29 PM

No matter the power, weight is enemy. Ask all those Cobra guys on the 03-04 era. They would get huge power and the weight simply didn't make the car perform as well as expected.

Most of the Cobra guys have moved to Corvettes. 3600lbs was good for a 1995 car. 3300lbs was the weight of the camaro in the 1998-2002 era. Which in my opinion that is the weight the car should have kept. Corvette is nice and light, hence why I skipped the Camaro for a C5 Z06. THANK GOD I DID.

I really really wanted a Camaro, but it wouldn't have been stock for long. So... Performance vs Power was key this time.

Last edited by Highlander; 04-10-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Sax1031
All the aluminum you are talking about adding to lighten the car up would drive the price of the Camaro up significantly.
And the performance, and the fuel economy, too. Didn't we hear recently that GM was making over $8,000 profit per vehicle on the SS model? How much more do you think all of that aluminum would cost?

Sure, aluminum costs more, but I'll bet it'd be worth it and still capable of generating a healthy profit.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:04 PM

The only suggestion I can make so far is to make the console gauges standard for all SS Models and give us a blade spoiler on SS models.

I like everything else about the current car.

Last edited by Brandon_Lutz; 04-10-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Highlander
Most of the Cobra guys have moved to Corvettes. 3600lbs was good for a 1995 car. 3300lbs was the weight of the camaro in the 1998-2002 era.
My '98 and '02 Camaros weigh 3500 pounds.

Quick Reply: Camaro Disciples Meeting Again in Detroit in 2010! PROVIDE YOUR INPUT!