2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro 1LE Performance Track Pack

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 11:07 AM

Re: Camaro 1LE Performance Track Pack

Originally Posted by IZ28
How will there be room for a hotter Z28 as you say with this "1LE" coming out? I just don't see it.
Simple, you take a 1LE car, stuff an LS3 with a more aggressive cam profile in it and voila. Not saying they'll do that, or even consider it, I'm just saying. In that scenario, you'd have a tier structure of:

V6 - $
Non-1LE L99/LS3 SS - $$
LS3 1LE - $$$
"Hot" LS3 Z28 (with standard 1LE) - $$$$
LSA ZL1 - $$$$$

Again, I have my doubts that Chevy would offer that many V8 variations at one time but it's nice to think about.

The biggest surprise to me is how "visible" the 1LE package is, with the wheels and flat black hood and such. AFAIK 1LE was always more of a suspension package on an otherwise "normal" looking V8 Camaro. I think that's the best question/argument as to why this isn't called 'Z28', in terms of history it would fit the Z28 name a bit more appropriately. But I'm not going to kill them on it yet.

Last edited by Z28Wilson; 03-29-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:57 PM

Did I miss something? I don't recall seeing that the 1LE was a separate model GM is placing up against the Mustang Boss 302. Its called the 1LE track pack and it is simply an option package that can be added to any 1SS or 2SS coupe, provided its an LS3/M6 combination.

I think it would be quite easy to build a "Z28 package" that is between the Camaro SS +1LE and Camaro ZL1.

Start with the Camaro SS +1LE; lose the gimmicky matte black hood and suede. Include the suspension/brake/wheel/transmission upgrades already in 1LE. Swap the hood and rear deck with carbon fiber bits. And last but not least, in a similar vein to the 60th Anniversary Corvette swan song, swap the LS3 with the LS7.

At first I also wanted the adjustable magnetic suspension from the ZL1, but then I figured those ZL1 buyers should get something a little special for their $55k+.

I'd even suggest no stripes, and swap the SS nose with the base Camaro LS/LT nose. Its only "visible" distinction would be Z28 badges and black wheels. Talk about sleeper.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Did I miss something? I don't recall seeing that the 1LE was a separate model GM is placing up against the Mustang Boss 302. Its called the 1LE track pack and it is simply an option package that can be added to any 1SS or 2SS coupe, provided its an LS3/M6 combination.
Well, you say "to-MAY-to" .....

Yeah it's an 'SS', an 'SS' with some very distinctive visual cues. That was my point about past 1LE cars, they were merely suspension options on Z28s that looked exactly like your run-of-the-mill Z28. This car is not a road course sleeper. It practically screams that it's something different. Whether that makes it a "separate" model (or 'trim') or not is almost symantics at this point.

Last edited by Z28Wilson; 03-29-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:03 PM

A lot of the 3rd gen. 1LEs were stripper cars, no power/electric options also they had A/C and radio delete.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:19 PM

Still find it odd and disheartening that there is no 1LE convertible when there is a ZL1 convertible. I don't get it.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by HuJass
Still find it odd and disheartening that there is no 1LE convertible when there is a ZL1 convertible. I don't get it.
Verts dont have the body structure of a hardtop, or the aerodynamics.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by TOO Z MAXX
Verts dont have the body structure of a hardtop, or the aerodynamics.
If that's true, then what's the rationale for the ZL1 'vert?
Old 03-29-2012, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by HuJass
If that's true, then what's the rationale for the ZL1 'vert?
It's like the Ford line-up. There is a GT500 convertible, but no Boss convertible. Boss and 1LE's are suppose to be the most track ready pony cars you can buy. That means only manual, that means only hardtop, that means little amenities and more track oriented parts. It's been the same formula for years.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:00 PM

I think it would be quite easy to build a "Z28 package" that is between the Camaro SS +1LE and Camaro ZL1.

Start with the Camaro SS +1LE; lose the gimmicky matte black hood and suede. Include the suspension/brake/wheel/transmission upgrades already in 1LE. Swap the hood and rear deck with carbon fiber bits. And last but not least, in a similar vein to the 60th Anniversary Corvette swan song, swap the LS3 with the LS7.
Id say thats pretty close. LS7 or Gen V. Regardless, SS 1LE would be 430 and ZL1 being 580 there is a gap to be filled by naturally aspirated Z28. Theres no way this 1LE is Boss competition.

At first I also wanted the adjustable magnetic suspension from the ZL1, but then I figured those ZL1 buyers should get something a little special for their $55k+.

I'd even suggest no stripes, and swap the SS nose with the base Camaro LS/LT nose. Its only "visible" distinction would be Z28 badges and black wheels. Talk about sleeper.
oh man I hope youre wrong there. I hope the Z28 gets ZL1 nose with Z28 badging. Leave Race Ugly and sleeper to Mustang.

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 03-29-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
It's like the Ford line-up. There is a GT500 convertible, but no Boss convertible. Boss and 1LE's are suppose to be the most track ready pony cars you can buy. That means only manual, that means only hardtop, that means little amenities and more track oriented parts. It's been the same formula for years.
I think its pretty cool to hear GM ( scott specifically on camaro5 ) defend the fact this car is bit more hardcore and not for everyone, with no apologies.

I'll take mine in 1SS trim, cloth seats and the RS package

Now all GM has to do is get a very cool shade of medium blue like Electron and Quazar.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:38 AM

SS 1LE = Mustang GT track pack
Z28 = BOSS
ZL1 = SHELBY GT 500

And Maybe

Z28 1LE = BOSS Luguna Seca
Old 03-30-2012, 04:49 AM

The above scenario would be nice. I'm very skeptical though.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:51 AM

More or less, but don't forget that GM has very loudly proclaimed the ZL1 to be track ready, specifically calling out the GT500 in this area. Yet it's available in coupe or droptop, manual or auto.

Most ZL1 owners will never set foot on a track. Those that do have such plans will likely opt for the coupe. Similarly, most BOSS owners will never set foot on a track.

I don't see any hard reason why one can't get the 1LE package on the convertible. Or, if the 1LE moniker need to be preserved for true track-intended cars (which I can understand), then offer most of the 1LE hardware on the convertible and call it a "ride and handling package" or something.

The SS has been stuck with skinny 245 series front tires, while the smaller and lighter 4th gen offered 275s front and rear. IMO the SS brakes are more than adequate, so I could see a package for the convertible that includes the 1LE wheels (but not only in black, for crying out loud), a retuned suspension (same as 1LE or similar), and the shock tower brace. The gearing changes would be cool, too.

Again, give it a different RPO if 1LE needs to be kept sacred. That's fine. But there are people out there who like high performance cars (even if they never head to a road course) and also like convertibles.

All that said, obviously convertible owners can turn to the aftermarket to tighten up their cars if they like. But it would be cool to see a factory offering that is already well sorted, especially since the hardware is all there. The SS droptop uses the same suspension tuning as the SS coupe, and I think the ZL1 droptop mirrors the ZL1 coupe as well...
Old 03-30-2012, 08:09 AM

It looks nice, especially with the ZL1's exhaust and rims. I'm a little disappointed that the HP and weight stayed the same. I'm sure it will be like the Boss and dealers will sell at a premium above MSRP.

Do you think this will be delayed like the ZL1?
Old 03-30-2012, 11:03 AM

The ZL1 is no longer delayed and back in production.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/29/2...-hold-removed/

Quick Reply: Camaro 1LE Performance Track Pack