2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Bumble Bee version coming, according to dealer

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
I will never say 'never' ......'cause 'never' is a long time.

But you can be assured that we haven't discussed anything of the sort.

Sorry........

(we're working on getting the car out -- special editions come later......)
And this, children, is why we don't listen to dealers and salesmen, regarding vehicles that are not yet on their lots. Glad you took his info with a grain of salt, bud.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:40 PM

Neons are illegal here in NJ (if they're on while driving), so even if the rumor were true about a Bumblebee version (yeah, I read FBodFather's response and know it's not) it wouldn't include neons.

But I'm more than willing to admit I have nothing against underbody neons. I think it looks nice when a car rolls by with a glow coming from under the car.

Those tacky neon licens plate frames are another story though.

At the cost of possibly being laughed off this site, I actually own a set of purple undercar neons. Never used. Who knows. I love Silver and Purple as well as White and Purple together. Maybe I'll have them put on the new Camaro. Heh

:::ducks and runs:::
Old 03-24-2007, 09:00 PM

I'd buy it. Kinda reminds me of what dodge did with the Road Runner. Never hurts to have a little humor tied in with an extremely aggressive vehicle. They should at least just have a comsmetic package. (Rims, paint, stripes, decals).

You know it would sell. The neon idea is pretty rediculous though.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:32 PM

I wouldn't be shocked if this happened.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:53 PM

Neons are illegal in most states and will remain that way. It makes more sense that special editions haven't been discussed much lately. Their work is far from over in just getting the standard Camaro out!
Old 03-24-2007, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by 3rdGenNut
I wouldn't be shocked if this happened.
I would be shocked if this happened for a few reasons:

1. GM understands design too well to resort to such a tacky "special edition".
2. GM putting Autobot logos on the car? Hardly seems like a good way to brand a REALLY high visibility car.
3. Neon from the FACTORY?? STANDARD??? Not a chance - its far too much a niche item. There's no way that GM is getting behind that kind of warranty - ever - legal or not.
4. Scott said it isn't happening......more than good enough for me
Old 03-25-2007, 09:45 AM

Though the only thing the new Caamro should be avalible in is that yellow and black stripes option when it does come out.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:51 PM

I'm pretty sure the aftermarket companies will be taking care of Autobot/Decepticon emblems, especially if the movie is to be the beginning of a series.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:50 PM

Ok so if it were to happen.....

How concerned could you be about neon lights under the car.....when its theme is from a cartoon from the '80s!!!

I would want one like that because it sounds like one of the silliest things Ive ever heard of and Im sure I would have a lot of fun in the car!!
Old 03-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Admin Emeritus

I can easily seeing a dealer tacking on something like that as a dealer package, that happens all the time (and often very poorly), but I don't think it would go any other way.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Horde
What about the Bullit version of the Mustang a couple of years ago?, wasn't that about 20 years between the car and the movie?
Bullit is a classic and is still regarded as one of the best car chase films ever. It has stood the test of time.

As much as I'm looking forward to the Transformers movie I do not think it will be on that level.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by blackrat
Bullit is a classic and is still regarded as one of the best car chase films ever. It has stood the test of time.

As much as I'm looking forward to the Transformers movie I do not think it will be on that level.
I'm not sure "Bullit" has more legitimacy than the Transformers - it depends on personal taste and history.

Bullit was out before I was born, and since I've never seen it, has no connection for me. Scuttlebutt from my time on the program was that Ford picked it because they were out of special editions at the time - they wanted a Shelby but they couldn't get Carrol Shelby on board that early on, they wanted to do a MACH 1 but wanted it to be the high-end / exclusive special edition, and they wanted to do a BOSS, but knew that one had to be the biggest, baddest 'stang or it would just look stupid. For a lower-end special edition that didn't need a massive powertrain upgrade, that pretty much leaves them with very little else to draw from, and they picked Bullit.

Yeah there's a certain coolness to the movie connection, but the coolness depends on the movie and your age. For me, "Smokey and the Bandit" introduced me to the Trans Am - a love which only continued with "Knight Rider" - I even put a yellow "scanner" light behind the grill of my '94 Grand Am GT. (read: geek). But I'm sure that someone younger than me knows nothing about either show/movie and therefore a "special edition" would be pointless to them. Perhaps to them "Transformers" will be their "Bullitt" or "Knight Rider"....
Old 03-27-2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Shellhead
I'm not sure "Bullit" has more legitimacy than the Transformers - it depends on personal taste and history.

Bullit was out before I was born, and since I've never seen it, has no connection for me. Scuttlebutt from my time on the program was that Ford picked it because they were out of special editions at the time - they wanted a Shelby but they couldn't get Carrol Shelby on board that early on, they wanted to do a MACH 1 but wanted it to be the high-end / exclusive special edition, and they wanted to do a BOSS, but knew that one had to be the biggest, baddest 'stang or it would just look stupid. For a lower-end special edition that didn't need a massive powertrain upgrade, that pretty much leaves them with very little else to draw from, and they picked Bullit.

Yeah there's a certain coolness to the movie connection, but the coolness depends on the movie and your age. For me, "Smokey and the Bandit" introduced me to the Trans Am - a love which only continued with "Knight Rider" - I even put a yellow "scanner" light behind the grill of my '94 Grand Am GT. (read: geek). But I'm sure that someone younger than me knows nothing about either show/movie and therefore a "special edition" would be pointless to them. Perhaps to them "Transformers" will be their "Bullitt" or "Knight Rider"....
Ask any true musclecar enthusiast what is the best car chase scene of all time and they will say "Bullit". "Transformers" is based off a cartoon, so no matter how great the movie ends up being, there are musclecar purists out there that would never recognize it. Like you, I've probably seen more "Transformers" episodes than times I have seen the movie "Bullit", however that does not give "Transformers" more "legitimacy" over "Bullit" in terms of historical musclecars. Furthermore, the "Transformers" Camaro has no history at this point as the movie hasn't even been released.

Do yourself a favor and rent "Bullit". If anything, just watch the chase scene.

FWIW, I believe the main reason Ford didn't go with "BOSS" is because someone else owns the naming rights.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:47 PM

stickers and logos? neon lights?...American rice anyone?
Old 03-27-2007, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by arjainz
stickers and logos? neon lights?...American rice anyone?

I dont think they meant it like that. Think of it more 35th ann. logo and little emblems..or Bullit Mustang appointments..not rice in my book..

But the neon ..yea thats kinda far FARRRR past anything that should be done. No matter import of american.

Quick Reply: Bumble Bee version coming, according to dealer