2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Breaking news: RS w/ polished wheels, and the high-wing spoiler

Old 10-29-2008, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Breaking news: RS w/ polished wheels, and the high-wing spoiler

Well, we sent a link to the latest CamaroBuilder to Cheryl Pilcher, and she had some feedback for us:

Originally Posted by Cheryl Pilcher
That's really cool!

Just a couple of things that I noticed very quickly in building a 1SS/RS: you should not be able to add 20" polished wheels to a V6 RS or SS/RS Camaro (we're working on getting this changed effective mid-November) and you shouldn't be able to order the high wing spoiler on an SS or RS V6. The high wing spoiler uses different mounting holes than the lip spoiler. You can order a new decklid and have the high wing spoiler added if you're really serious about the high wing spoiler.

Cheryl
From this message, I gather that people who want to change their orders to the polished wheels will need to wait about three more weeks.

I also gather that, unless you are getting an LS or a non-RS LT, you will need to pay extra for a replacement decklid if you want to get the high-wing spoiler.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:08 AM

Thanks for posting that! Explains a lot w/ the dealer's reactions I was getting last week....

You think it wouldn't be announced until the actual change to order could be made though.....
Old 10-29-2008, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Well, we sent a link to the latest CamaroBuilder to Cheryl Pilcher, and she had some feedback for us:

From this message, I gather that people who want to change their orders to the polished wheels will need to wait about three more weeks.

I also gather that, unless you are getting an LS or a non-RS LT, you will need to pay extra for a replacement decklid if you want to get the high-wing spoiler.
Whats the high wing spoiler gonna look like?
Old 10-29-2008, 10:04 AM

so you would have to buy a whole new trunk for the high wing? anyone have any idea how much a trunk cost? is that an option to getit without holes already in it? this seems kinda weird that the high wing wont mount into the mounting holes, and this is a gm accesory.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
so you would have to buy a whole new trunk for the high wing? anyone have any idea how much a trunk cost? is that an option to getit without holes already in it? this seems kinda weird that the high wing wont mount into the mounting holes, and this is a gm accesory.
A new decklid will probably be expensive at first. The stock spoiler mounts right on the rear edge of the deck lid and the high wing spoiler mounts further away from the edge. The high wing spoiler would look pretty rediculous mounted in the same holes as the stock spoiler anyway, even if they were the same. The only way to get the car without holes in the deck lid is to not order an SS or RS.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by txturbo
A new decklid will probably be expensive at first. The stock spoiler mounts right on the rear edge of the deck lid and the high wing spoiler mounts further away from the edge. The high wing spoiler would look pretty rediculous mounted in the same holes as the stock spoiler anyway, even if they were the same. The only way to get the car without holes in the deck lid is to not order an SS or RS.
oh, well thats easy enough.
i think ill stick with my ss. i understand about the spoiler not fitting the same holes i just think its kinda weird they are making something like this and dont even offer a spoiler delete option if you want the big wing. i guess ill be keeping the stock ss spoiler.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
i just think its kinda weird they are making something like this and dont even offer a spoiler delete option if you want the big wing.
That's my thought too.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:02 AM

Sorry, that is just stupid. Offer the high mount spoiler, but only on a base model?
Old 10-30-2008, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by 91Z28350
Sorry, that is just stupid. Offer the high mount spoiler, but only on a base model?
It's not that.....it's that the SS and the V6 with RS package comes with a spoiler (and the holes drilled into it already). The mounting locations are different and if you were to swap spoilers, you would have the factory mount holes exposed. I don't know which would be cheaper, having the bodywork done or ordering a new deck lid.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:07 AM

if they offered the spoiler delete option i think i would go with the wing and do the full ground effects. but if not ill just keep the ss spoiler and do the kit.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by MetalDragon
It's not that.....it's that the SS and the V6 with RS package comes with a spoiler (and the holes drilled into it already). The mounting locations are different and if you were to swap spoilers, you would have the factory mount holes exposed. I don't know which would be cheaper, having the bodywork done or ordering a new deck lid.
And that is my point. There is no GOOD reason that they cannot facilitate a customer friendly means of ordering the car with a high mount spoiler. As it stands the current remedies are: swap with a ls Camaro, do without, order a new deck lid or have your current deck lid repaired. None of these options (other than getting lucky and finding a LS in the same color paint and willing to swap deck lids) is good, and two of them add considerably to an already expensive car (not unduly expensive, but adding 5-700 dollars in paint, prep and parts is ridiculious, plus the 400+ for the spoiler itself)
Old 10-31-2008, 07:24 AM

And that is my point. There is no GOOD reason that they cannot facilitate a customer friendly means of ordering the car with a high mount spoiler. As it stands the current remedies are: swap with a ls Camaro, do without, order a new deck lid or have your current deck lid repaired. None of these options (other than getting lucky and finding a LS in the same color paint and willing to swap deck lids) is good, and two of them add considerably to an already expensive car (not unduly expensive, but adding 5-700 dollars in paint, prep and parts is ridiculious, plus the 400+ for the spoiler itself)
the car isnt expensive. its very reasonably priced for the power it has.
the point is about the wing and not being able to delete the spoiler.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:48 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by 350 HRSS

You think it wouldn't be announced until the actual change to order could be made though.....
well........this is the angony we go thru -- do we let the public know right away that we've listened to them (......and to stop the hate mail and rants on sites.......) - or do we delay?

Because of the drop in number of employees -- coupled with a much heavier work-load, there are 'block-points' set aside - once or twice a month -- where changes can be made to the 'edit tables' so that you can then order a new option or 'option condition' --

(Edit tables are long strings of codes that -- for the lack of a better analogy - -allow certain 'recipes' for Camaros.......they allow orders to flow to the plants in a 'buildable' condition -- versus, say, an order where it simply can't be built......Example: trying to order a sunroof on a convertible........the edit table says 'uh -uh -- no can do' - and spits the order back.....)

So...........there ya have it!
Old 10-31-2008, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

It's not just LS! Any non-RS V6 car can be a donor. LS, 1LT, and 2LT.

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
(Edit tables are long strings of codes that -- for the lack of a better analogy - -allow certain 'recipes' for Camaros.......they allow orders to flow to the plants in a 'buildable' condition -- versus, say, an order where it simply can't be built......Example: trying to order a sunroof on a convertible........the edit table says 'uh -uh -- no can do' - and spits the order back.....)

CamaroBuilder is far more sophisticated than that. Even in version 1.0.

If I weren't so expensive, I'd say you guys should hire me.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
well........this is the angony we go thru -- do we let the public know right away that we've listened to them (......and to stop the hate mail and rants on sites.......) - or do we delay?

Because of the drop in number of employees -- coupled with a much heavier work-load, there are 'block-points' set aside - once or twice a month -- where changes can be made to the 'edit tables' so that you can then order a new option or 'option condition' --

So...........there ya have it!
so whjat about this high spoiler? will there be an option for a delete spoiler? i really like this wing but i dont want to patch holes on the origional trunk and i dont want to buy a whole new trunk. is this going to be possible to delete the ss spolier or will i have to do one of the 2 options i listed?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Breaking news: RS w/ polished wheels, and the high-wing spoiler