2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Beware: If your trading in your old car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 11:19 PM

Beware: If your trading in your old car?

Looks like most dealers are no longer giving good $ on trade ins?
I went to four dealers to order a loaded 2SS in pass 3 days.

My car is a 09 that MSRP $34000 with added options + accessories.
3 months later and all four dealers are offering $15000 - $20000 Tops!
Plus the bastards want full MSRP on thier Camaro.

Point of this thread: Be sure you work your trade in before ordering your Camaro.
Otherwise your in for a rude awakening come March & April when your cars arrive!

I'm gonna try to sell my car outright but we all know how much of pain that can be.
There is no way I will let my car go less then $26000 so looks like no 2SS for me?
Old 12-05-2008, 11:34 PM

How much are people asking on Auto Trader?
Old 12-05-2008, 11:52 PM

My brother just got $5,400 for his '03 Liberty with 110K miles towards a new '08 Liberty. I could not believe they gave him so much for it.
He got the new Liberty for dirt cheap. It stickered for about $24K, my discount brought it to $21, there was a $5K rebate, and then his trade.
I think his final price, out the door (before down payment) was somewhere in the $13-14K area.

Unreal. I still don't know why they gave them that deal.

It sucks about your Mazda, though. It's tough trading in a newer car. You lose your a** when doing that.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:16 AM

even if the dealer would give u a trade in price now, they would not have to honor it when your vehicle came in. U could have trashed it by then. so unless u are giveing them your vehicle now there is no way to get a realalistic # on your trade. besides the market could go up or down by then
Old 12-06-2008, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Barry626

Point of this thread: Be sure you work your trade in before ordering your Camaro.
Otherwise your in for a rude awakening come March & April when your cars arrive!

I'm gonna try to sell my car outright but we all know how much of pain that can be.
There is no way I will let my car go less then $26000 so looks like no 2SS for me?
Dude, dealers NEVER give the customer the trade in value that the customer "THINKS" they should get.

They can go to a dealer auction and get YOUR car for 10 to 30% less than the private party value.

That is the peril of buying a brand new car, as soon as you drive it off the lot, consider at least 5,000 to 20,000 (depending on the model) of what you paid GONE.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:02 PM

Dealers always give you as little for the trade as they can. What is new these days is that most dealers line's of credit have shrunk and as a result they cannot afford to have large inventories of used cars on the lot. I know some guys who have tried to trade in newer corvettes and have simply been told no. Because the dealer does not want an expensive car that will sit on their lot and eat up their limited line of credit. This problem will have a domino effect on new car sales and will make things even worse.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Exposed Member

It's very difficult for a dealer to try and sell a nearly new car from another brand.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by cASe SenSiTive
What exactly is an EXPOSED MEMBER?
Old 12-06-2008, 09:52 PM

Thanks to you all your replys were helpful & got me to think more!
For sure my car is going nowhere anytime soon, not taking this kind of loss for a Camaro.

I remember being a kid 12 and walking around the Camaro in the show room.
Even then I new I wanted one, one day! Thing is it doesn't have to be now.
I can wait it out couple years & know for sure where the car stands & GM for that matter!
Old 12-07-2008, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
Dealers always give you as little for the trade as they can. What is new these days is that most dealers line's of credit have shrunk and as a result they cannot afford to have large inventories of used cars on the lot. I know some guys who have tried to trade in newer corvettes and have simply been told no. Because the dealer does not want an expensive car that will sit on their lot and eat up their limited line of credit. This problem will have a domino effect on new car sales and will make things even worse.
The Corvette market is soft right now. I sold a 2007 Corvette coup with 2,108 miles on it to a dealer the other day for $29200. I watched a 2008 coup with 10,000 miles get purchased at a auction for $33500. Both of those cars had a MSRP of around $48,000. If you are a buyer it is a great time to purchase .... it is truely a buyers market.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Vette Pro
If you are a buyer it is a great time to purchase .... it is truely a buyers market.
Provided you have financing.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:41 PM

If you don't mind me asking...why did you buy a new car if you knew you were wanting to buy a Camaro a year later?
Old 12-07-2008, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by My Red 93Z-28
If you don't mind me asking...why did you buy a new car if you knew you were wanting to buy a Camaro a year later?
Actually no excuse as I thought the new Camaro was coming end of 2010?
Never realize it was a 2010 coming out in 2009. Known of this matters anyway.
Still not right for dealers to expect full MSRP on their cars & rip big time into the trades too!
I surely expected to lose my shirt on a new car trade in only 3 months, but not 56%.
I have since gotton higher offers then $15,000 but still not enough that I would sell.
So in the end of this story: I plan to keep my car few years like I should anyway!

I know one thing: things to come for car sales in this county are gonna hit big time!
Just like us buyers have to be responsible for what we do in life & no hand outs.
Same goes for the car industry. They need to be responsible & get out of their own mess!!
Old 12-07-2008, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Barry626

Barry, I think you have just experienced the rude awakening that people who have traded in their cars for new ones have experienced since the begining of time. This is absolutely noting new and anyone who has ever had the "fun" of trading in a vehicle has experienced this.

What you actually paid for your car and what your car bluebooks at has absolutely nothing to do with what you're going to get at trade in.

This may sound bad, but it's the unspoken truth:
If you are trading in your car, the dealer is doing you a favor by taking it.

Why?

Because the dealer is taking the responsibility for selling it, not you. The dealer is going to need to make sure the vehicle is in top condition. If it isn't, he's going to haul it down to a dealer auction and auction it off to a second or third tier used car dealer. He certainly isn't going to auction it off at a loss. On the flip side, dealers buy used cars at wholesale value based on what they expect to sell it for.

On top of that, add in depriciation.

Your car may be a 2009 Mazda that retails at $34,000. However, the moment you drove it off the lot, the value of that car decreased by as much as 25% on the retail market (what you & I pay). Although in the Auto Trader, you might see plenty of people attempting to sell a brand new car at what they paid, those are the same cars whose ads expire never being sold, or wind up sold at a huge loss. If you could go the the Mazda dealer and buy a brand new car or buy the same car off of some private seller for nearly the same price, you're going for the car no one's ever even broke wind in.

If that $34K Mazda is worth only $24-$28K on the real market, on the wholesale, $18-20K is probably in the ballpark (though at $15K, he's trying to rip you off).

My advice is to sell your car yourself. You WILL lose money on your car no matter what you do. But you'll get more back if you sell it on your own.

If you must pick the convience of the dealer taking it off your hands and selling it for you, expect to give up a substantial amount of money (many thousnds of $$$) for the priviledge of them disposing it for you. Log on to Kelleys or any other site that has the wholesale prices of vehicles and the additions/subtractions of options you have in your car, then you can go in to your dealer and know what the going rate for your car on the dealer network really is.

Just a warning, it's not going to be pretty.... and it never was.

Last edited by guionM; 12-07-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:46 PM

Drive your Mazda as a DD it will last yeats if you keep up with it, then look for a SS in 5yrs and enjoy the other side of the coin.

Quick Reply: Beware: If your trading in your old car?