2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Autoblog throwing down some figures

Old 01-04-2006, 12:18 PM

Re: Autoblog throwing down some figures

naturally nobody's saying anything about the IROC. I'm guessing it's cause no one can think of anything bad to say about it.

Last edited by christiancamaroIROCZ; 01-04-2006 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by christiancamaroIROCZ
naturally nobody's saying anything about the IROC. I'm guessing it's cause no one can think of anything bad to say about it.
I can. It would cost Chevrolet a rediculous amount of money in royalties to put the IROC moniker back on Camaros. Ain't gonna happen.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:28 PM

Pardon me for a moment while I slip on my pointy helmet and un-holster my Luger...

"IROC" is so dead that the worms in the casket have starved to death by now, and do you really want a name that left the Camaro and was then attached to glorified K-car from Lee Iacocca era CHRYSLER of all companies, to grace our machine???

"If you can find a better car, buy it!"

Well, Lee... I FOUND A BETTER CAR and so I BOUGHT IT.

How about...

Erm...

NO.

Hey, did you know that Michigan and Ohio once fought a war over Toledo?
Michigan won, Ohio got Toledo.

Last edited by PacerX; 01-04-2006 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
I can. It would cost Chevrolet a rediculous amount of money in royalties to put the IROC moniker back on Camaros. Ain't gonna happen.
Good reason. Now that I think of it, the stickers on the side of the IROC's helped them out more than the actual name. made them stick out a little. Thanks.

And PacerX, I wouldn't go dissing the IROC to that extreme if I was you. The 3rd gens sold. If it wasn't for your ugly 4th gens, we wouldn't even be discussing what to call the camaros when they bring them back.

Last edited by christiancamaroIROCZ; 01-04-2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:19 PM

And PacerX, I wouldn't go dissing the IROC to that extreme if I was you. The 3rd gens sold. If it wasn't for your ugly 4th gens, we wouldn't even be discussing what to call the camaros when they bring them back.
Oh, don't get me wrong, the 3rd gens were quite the car in their day... well... except for the 4V and TBI 305's... and the 4 cylinders... and the V6's... and the TPI 305's...

But IROC got the bullet in the brain at the right time, and shall never again darken the side of a Camaro - for good reason.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jason E
so maybe she's rubbing off on me

Could have losta fun taking that outta context.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:51 PM

My fiance is 1/2 French (yes, that annoys me greatly), so maybe she's rubbing off on me

And yes, that's the exact thought...make a base model V8 that's about as fast as a Mustang GT for about the same $$...make it the same for the same, and that works too. Call it a base, call it an RS (that's what I'd prefer, personally), call it whatever you want...just make the damn thing People had a hard time justifying the $4,000 price increase between a base Formula and a V6 Bird in '02 when comparably equipped. If that price differential to get a V8 was more like $1,000-$1,500, watch those base cars fly off the lots...

All a Formula was over a base model was an LS1, beefier tranny and stickier tires...does that sound like $4,000 worth to you? If you ordered the L36 performance package on the V6 for a measily $350 (all of my base cars had it), it even had the limited slip and the steering gear of a Formula!

IMHO your exactly right... I've always thought this! the reasoning is correct and I understand GM's side of things to with engineering and production costs but if they sell more units because of it then whats the big deal. Mustang continued to do this to great success...

I also believe that there needs to be a TON of options on these cars to make them unique to the person buying the car, again, much like the Mustang has done.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
Damn Dan....you gotta' lighten up on the caffine man...you're killin' me....LOL!
Please, don't change a thing Dan! I'm rollin' over here, in fact have some more coffee, or whatever it is you've been havin' lately.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by 61695
Could have losta fun taking that outta context.
Yeah, I was going to make a comment like "no pun intended" or something like that, but I figured you sickos would just throw it back at me anyway Surprised only one of you did!

Pacer,
Say what you will about IROC, but it still has enormous brand awareness to it. Scott said it himself. You think IROC, you don't think of Daytonas...or Avengers...or Trans Ams. You think Camaro. As I Said in another thread, people call my car an IROC sometimes, and the car hasn't been made in 16 years!

That's impressive staying power...and I wonder WHY it costs so much to use IROC licensing. The series is on life support. They should be thrilled to get ANY $$$ for licensing at all!!!!

Is GM blowing some BS, saying its too expensive? How expensive is it really, when you consider the brand recognition? I really wonder...
Old 01-05-2006, 11:24 AM

Yeah, I was going to make a comment like "no pun intended" or something like that, but I figured you sickos would just throw it back at me anyway Surprised only one of you did!

Pacer,
Say what you will about IROC, but it still has enormous brand awareness to it. Scott said it himself. You think IROC, you don't think of Daytonas...or Avengers...or Trans Ams. You think Camaro. As I Said in another thread, people call my car an IROC sometimes, and the car hasn't been made in 16 years!

That's impressive staying power...and I wonder WHY it costs so much to use IROC licensing. The series is on life support. They should be thrilled to get ANY $$$ for licensing at all!!!!

Is GM blowing some BS, saying its too expensive? How expensive is it really, when you consider the brand recognition? I really wonder...
Like Berlinetta, IROC had it's day... and that day is over. And yes, when I hear "IROC" I DO think Daytonas... and the very next thought is "who in Hades let that happen???"

There is huge brand equity in the SS nomenclature, a proven recent track record of sales - specifically high content, high profit sales. There is also huge brand equity in the Z28 designation.

The REASON WE ARGUE ABOUT THE ISSUE is the fact that those designations both hold special places in people's hearts. Resurrecting IROC, while nostalgic, just doesn't carry the panache of the other two, and Daytonas have an awful lot to do with it.

The danger with any special designation is and will always be the inevitable watering down of any nomenclature by applying it to anything and everything in the line-up - especially when it gets applied to vehicles that do not have the equipment to uphold the image.

Naturally aspirated Cobalts wearing SS badges...

3rd gen Z28's with TBI 305's...

SS badged Stovebolt 6 cyl, Powerglide equipped Chevy II Novas...

Beretta Z26's...

Lumina Z34's...

The key, regardless of nomenclature, is to keep the nomenclature special by ensuring that the marketing types DO NOT get to slap it on everything *****-nilly.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:44 AM

i find myself agreeing that resurrecting the IROC may not be the best idea for the most part. i mean, i do love the fact that my car comes from one of only 6 years of the IROC, and the fact that it's special for that fact. i am mostly a Z/28 fan, and had my car not had the Z/28 decals (the Z/28 was not an actual model starting in '88), then I prolly wouldn't have gotten it. that said, i believe I saw on the tv (and please don't yell at me for getting info off of the tube) that Dale Earnhardt had something to do with the IROC. if that is true, i think a limited edition Earnhardt IROC-Z would make a great deal of sales for chevy, with good popular association of the two icons in the media of course.