2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autoblog throwing down some figures

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 10:57 PM

Re: Autoblog throwing down some figures

All I have to say is it's the CAR and the PERFORMANCE that makes the name not the other way around. It could be called the Camaro SLO for all I care as long as it performs.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:00 PM

Oh agreed, look at my handle. I have fun, and hopefully it is mutual, teasing the Z28 pundits. All I care about is that my top-o-the-line Camaro go like hell and "carve every curve in sight" on the way there.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by SageofKnight
All I have to say is it's the CAR and the PERFORMANCE that makes the name not the other way around. It could be called the Camaro SLO for all I care as long as it performs.

you might want to eject now then......this may get bumpy. the SS guys aren't gonna be too happy when the Z/28 get announced as the top model
Old 01-04-2006, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by turbo96z28
you might want to eject now then......this may get bumpy. the SS guys aren't gonna be too happy when the Z/28 get announced as the top model
Corvette shall point the way, hard charger...

Watch what the mighty Vette does, and we will see our future.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:22 AM

Has everybody forgotten about the IROC-Z of the third gens? now that is something that really sets a car apart, a Z28 IROC-Z. or at least it worked for a time....
Old 01-04-2006, 09:19 AM

To really think about all is said here go back to what SS on any Chevy make car has always been about and that is 90% looks and little to do with performance.

When Chevy stated putting a SS label on a car it was for sporty looks only. I bought a 1962 Impala SS new in 62 with the 409-409 4-Speed full package car. The only difference in it and a regular Impala or a Biscayne for that matter was the looks. Drag boys wanted the Biscayne with the 409-409.
The way you could tell they had something that would run was the flags on the front fenders with the letters 409 above the flags.

Being a SS has never made them the fastest of anything but since the late 60's Z/28 became the standard for performance. Had not been for SLP you would not have had a 4th gen SS and to add to that how much HP did you get out of it that could not be added to you Z in a short.

I for one and happy to get another Camaro on the market. If it does not run fast enough I will fix that I always have. I love all 3 4th gen SS cars I have bought but money would have been better spent buying a Z and adding some things to it.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by PacerX
And YOU, Jason, YOU are ASPIRING TO a 5.3 powered RS?!?!? Wha???? Huh???

You're posting SS vs. Z28 smack and you're not even going to BUY ONE OF THE TWO. I hereby vote that future RS buyers DON'T GET A VOTE until they step up the aspirations a bit.
Hey there, now wait a minute....

Scott and I have had a couple talks about this matter. I told him if he builds a base model with an optional V8, I will put my $$ where my mouth is and buy it. Some people just want a quick V8, but don't want to pay $30k+ to get a well optioned one. That was the beauty of all those 3rd gen RSs...V8 performance (ok, well maybe V6+1/2 ), cache and sound for a cheap price. Also, you didn't have to pay Z28 insurance prices to get it. I firmly believe a base model V8 will give the performance/cost tradeoff many consumers are looking for.

I don't need 400+hp. 325hp from a 5.3 like the new Tahoe would be excellent, so long as the weight is kept down. Lets say the car weighs in around 3,600 lbs...that's 11.08 lbs/hp. Compared to an LS1 GTO which comes in around 10.86 lbs/hp (3800/350), that's pretty damn close. That means I will get a 0-60 around the 5.3 seconds the LS1 GTOs put down stock. Uhm, sign me up That's almost 1/2 a second quicker than an M6 LT1, which is already fast enough for me!!

If I can get a V8/stick/cloth/T-Top/basic power goodies/shiny wheeled base RS for around $27k (which based off the Mustang GT prices, I should be close), sign me up When the car comes out, I'll be 28 and already own 2 cars...I can only afford so much! When its paid off around 2013 or so, and the GP is beyond dead, maybe I'll lash some studded snows on for the winter, make it a daily driver, and upgrade to an SS or Z28 for a toy to slot next to the '97. But, I want one when they come out, and many of us can only afford so much...

This of course assumes I like the look If not, I'm off sulking to Third Gen Land to look for something in a 350 IROC...I'm trying to get the GP paid off early so I can leave it as a driver and look into another toy. 5th versus 3rd...if the look is not right, it will be a pretty easy decision for me personally...
Old 01-04-2006, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jason E
Hey there, now wait a minute....
You, kind sir, are the France of the SS vs. Z28 debate.

Won't send in the troops, and even if you did send troops, they wouldn't be worth a darn, but still feels the need to tell us Stormtroopers how to fight our war.

I therefore will no longer be ordering JasonFries... I'm calling them FreedomFries from here on out.

Stick that in your beret, croissant-boy.

PS - I see what you're driving at. Maybe a mid-level V8 that's just quick enough to beat up on GT's and Challengers is a good idea...

Old 01-04-2006, 10:59 AM
Prominent Member

Damn Dan....you gotta' lighten up on the caffine man...you're killin' me....LOL!
Old 01-04-2006, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
Damn Dan....you gotta' lighten up on the caffine man...
You're right... I know...

I picked a helluva day to stop doing heroin.

I'll buy a beer for the first poster who will be in Detroit, who names the movie that line is from... just so I don't stand accused of being a **** AND a drug user this weekend...
Old 01-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Prominent Member

Airplane, the movie......and stop calling me Shirley...(but I don't drink)
Old 01-04-2006, 11:43 AM

I picked a helluva day to stop doing heroin.

what is "Airplane"? Alex
Old 01-04-2006, 11:45 AM

darn you....beat me by one minute.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:45 AM

Ever since then I've had a drinking problem.

Lemonade's on me, Sparky.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:11 PM

You, kind sir, are the France of the SS vs. Z28 debate.

Won't send in the troops, and even if you did send troops, they wouldn't be worth a darn, but still feels the need to tell us Stormtroopers how to fight our war.

I therefore will no longer be ordering JasonFries... I'm calling them FreedomFries from here on out.

Stick that in your beret, croissant-boy.

PS - I see what you're driving at. Maybe a mid-level V8 that's just quick enough to beat up on GT's and Challengers is a good idea...
My fiance is 1/2 French (yes, that annoys me greatly), so maybe she's rubbing off on me

And yes, that's the exact thought...make a base model V8 that's about as fast as a Mustang GT for about the same $$...make it the same for the same, and that works too. Call it a base, call it an RS (that's what I'd prefer, personally), call it whatever you want...just make the damn thing People had a hard time justifying the $4,000 price increase between a base Formula and a V6 Bird in '02 when comparably equipped. If that price differential to get a V8 was more like $1,000-$1,500, watch those base cars fly off the lots...

All a Formula was over a base model was an LS1, beefier tranny and stickier tires...does that sound like $4,000 worth to you? If you ordered the L36 performance package on the V6 for a measily $350 (all of my base cars had it), it even had the limited slip and the steering gear of a Formula!

Quick Reply: Autoblog throwing down some figures