2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Article...2008 Camaro: Dead on Arrival?

Old 06-12-2007, 04:02 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by MarcR94v6
I'm sure Scott will have something to laugh about when he reads the article, if he has not already.
Actually, I'm going to have a stroke one of these days when I see something like that article.

Everyone's an expert.

Consider this: The highest volume ever for Camaro? 1979 ...Double Digit inflation -- PRIME RATE in double digits (highest ever that I know of...) and a gas crisis........and we sold 282,000 of them. Yes, the world changed -- BUT -- this market segment doesn't necessarily EVER follow logic.

So......I take what he sez with a grain........what bothers me is that too many people may just believe him.........

Lemme go take a pill...........
Old 06-12-2007, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
So......I take what he sez with a grain........what bothers me is that too many people may just believe him.........
Exactly Scott. Which is why I will be disappointed -- no, LIVID -- if Chevrolet does not address these myths in their early marketing campaign. Donuts, powerslides and tire smoke alone may sell to guys like us....but all that does is further the view that cars like the Camaro are nothing more than fuel gulping relics, tools for nothing but irresponsible debauchery. That has got to change if Camaro is to do well beyond the first year or two. Doesn't matter how good the car itself is.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:03 PM

This ad would get the point across:

"You can get 27MPG feeling like a mindless douchebag sheep, (guy driving a toyota)
or you can get 27MPG feeling like a bat outta hell....with 300+hp (guy driving a pony car)
...yeah...we thought so...."

The new Ford Mustang/Chevy Camaro/Dodge Challenger

(really that campaign would work for either of the pony cars)
Old 06-12-2007, 07:15 PM

He just took his own personal opinion/viewpoint and completely ignored many mindsets that he never even considered. To the point where he missed the entire point of the car (IMHO). It is to have a little of everything (back seat, great performance, great looks, good price, usable on a daily basis when running typical errands, etc.). It isn't the best at any one thing (sports car, family hauler, trips to Home Depot, easy on gas, etc.) -- and that's okay.

Besides, what if his estimated mpg for the car are way low? That alone would shoot his theory down. Plus, I think there is a yearning for (yet lack of) exciting cars you can live with on a daily basis -- despite the mpg fears.

And trust me, a four seater Camaro is a lot easier to sell to the wife than a two-seat Vette (she has a "anything you want as long as it seats four" rule).
Old 06-12-2007, 07:42 PM

This is a car that will sell because of it's self.

Mustangs and BMW's sell like crazy in Southern California and people buy them for image and performance.

In the last week alone I saw as many GTO's as I hace ever seen between L.A. and San Diego.

Lets face it the west coast is a hard sell for non import cars but perfornmance still sells and the new Camaro will give performance and the best milage the mark has ever seen.

This will be a car to be seen in and lusted after. The key is to keep the lust for this car up as Chevy has with the Corvette and not resort to some cheesy tactics to update the car as I thing Ford may be attempting to do with the lack of money they are suffering.

It will be great to sell this car for a few years and when the time comes for an update, make one like they did in 70 1/2. Note I did not say make it look like a 70 1/2 but as stunning of a change.

I just don't want to see it updated like the PT Crusier where it takes a good idea and runs it so long people just lose interest.

I trust those working on this car and and those with the new Vette as they are now getting to do what they can do best.

Also note the Z06 looked to be the car of Choice in Newport Beach last Saturday night! They were everywhere.

I think people who preach falshoods as this are able to fool the Impala Camry crowd, but they just can't fool the enthusiast car owners as easily. Most people who buy a cool performance car generally know a little about it ans it ablilities vs the appliance buyer.

These false writers are more a threat to Saturn Aura and Malibu drivers. Note Saturn is fighting this now with thier new advertising campain.

The truth will come out in the end. People today are finding out why they got such a great buy on their Hyundyi and what is not covered by the warranty.

When these cars hit the streets the MPG will not matter to most and many will be shocked at how well they will do. The proof is in the real road miles by real people.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:13 PM

Most of those guys are American haters anyways, I mean have you really looked at what most people praise highly?

ok, For me My name is on the list to buy the new vert when it comes out.

Why are these guys not staying anything about the mustang, OHHhhhhhhhhhhhh I know because the mustang is out & being produced while the camaro is just getting back in to the game.

as for the new Cafe laws there is a law suite going on right now to block half of the new laws that they were talking about & making stricter laws. 11 states who are wanting to bring in tougher laws are being told currently NO.

Including the west coast.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:54 PM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

Seems mid-June is his Camaro bashing time of the year. LOL

http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=9973

Last edited by ChrisL; 06-12-2007 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:59 PM

I think everyone should write him a nasty email & tell him to get over himself that No matter what he thinks that the Camaro will sell, Maybe not the v8 models as well as what the 6cly will. lol.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by FS3800
$300 a month is a bit off mark for the gas figure... an average driver drives what, 1,000 miles a month? to pay $300 a month at $3 per gallon the car would have to get 10 mpg... lol.. yeah right.. i think the camaro is going to get better than 10 mpg

even at $4 per gallon the car would have to get like 13mpg to cost $300/month
Bingo. Even my GTO gets 17 mpg mixed (mostly city) and that's with a lot of spirited driving. I'd expect a slightly lighter Camaro with a more efficient engine and hopefully better aerodynamics to do even better.

Although it doesn't matter because no one between 21-35 has the money to buy anything more than an Aveo
Old 06-12-2007, 09:13 PM

my husbands vette gets 30mpg
Old 06-12-2007, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck!
Although it doesn't matter because no one between 21-35 has the money to buy anything more than an Aveo
LOL I just had to laugh at your comment (yes I know it was a joke).

Lessee... I'll be 33 end of this August, SO I'll be able to afford a new Camaro and get rid of my Aveo just a few months after it's released. LOL Perfect timing.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:49 PM

I should only be 25 when I buy mine
Old 06-13-2007, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by krazzycowgirl
my husbands vette gets 30mpg
Corvette weights a lot less than the camaro will weight.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:07 AM

haha i love the line about how it will be expensive to fill a 20 gallon tank, like it really even makes a difference. Of course it will be more expensive to fill a 20 gallon tank than a 10, it holds twice as much gas. then why not give it a 3 gallon tank so fill ups will only be 9 bucks....this guy is a moron
Old 06-13-2007, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Is anyone else thinking that there's NO WAY the tank will be 20 gallons?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Article...2008 Camaro: Dead on Arrival?