2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Am I the only one Dissapointed in retro???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 05:03 PM

Re: Am I the only one Dissapointed in retro???

I agree about the GTO, but I have never been part of the "Sleeper" crowd. I love the 5th Gen.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by JoeliusZ28
thats the first time ive ever heard the GTO described as something different. Everyone here likes to call it a fast grand prix
Have you actually Drove one??? I have and '05 LS2 6spd and I'm here to say it is in no way shape or form a grand prix, hell Pontiac didn't actually make it Holden did and I love it

BTW Have you Seen GM's retro Camaro special induction system for the New Camaro:

Old 01-08-2006, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by JOE96Z28SS
After you put the crack pipe down, Put a picture of a 2nd Gen Next to any fourth Gen and tell me how many similarities you see. The 4th gens were bar-none the most perfect evolution of the camaro in my book, the 4th gen IMO started to go downhill 97 when they changed the interior it just looked like they didn't care. . it was too pontiac-ish

as for this abortion GM is turning into that kid in the neighborhood that keeps trying to be cool but F*^k's it up. That's what drew me to the GTO they actually did somthing different and has the Best interior that GM has ever made The front of this new one keeps reminding me of the 80's monte carlo I like the Rear Quarter panels though and the Renderings of the interior look pretty lame but I'll know my opinion for sure next week when I go look at it in Detroit
The 79 headlights if you were to melt them together would give you a 98-02 headlights. Directly behind the headlights are bulges in the hood that the late 70's Camaro had. Between the 79 headlights are a smaller version of the 70-72 split bumper grille. The front fenders of 98-02 are modern impressions of the late 70's The 75 tail lights throughout 93-02. If you look at the SS scoop, it is a direct copy of the 79 Z28 scoop.

If you go to 93-97 you just have the 3rd gen headlights smaller with a more pointy rounded grille.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:08 PM

I love when people look at something and know for a fact it is aerodynamically inefficient.

Remember that's what people did in the 50's. Everything Looked aerodynamic according to the current planes.....

Take the Front ground effect on a 1982 Mustang GT. Before they fit it, the car produced front end lift at over 100 mph, topped out at like 128 or something. They added the NEARLY FLAT front ground effect, top speed went to like 145 and it produced downforce on the front at over 50 mph all the way to top speed.

Judging aerodynamics with your eye is useless unless you are a true expert in the field. And as someone who actually has studied it, let me tell you it looks like it can be very sleek.

That pointed front end for one, helps create a small high pressure zone at the point instead of a large one over the front of the car. That High back end, creates downforce and less turbulance in the low pressure area behind the rear window. That tiny little lip in the front, channels air to the sides while pusshing down at high speed. The low roof line helps creat a smaller front profile. The only real problem area I see is the area where the headlights are. They are recessed, and leave no where for the air to go, so it will create turbulance in the front, right where you don't want it. Also, the area under the lip looks like it could produce some lift. But not nearly as much force as the downforce the lip will make.

In the 4th gens, you had two major problems in the front end. First the 93-97s had recessed headlights, see above. The other was that there was no lip at the front. No matter how small it would have been it would have helped. Sure in front of the "grill" it was a bit of a lip, but that should have been all along the leading edge
Old 01-08-2006, 05:12 PM

When will people learn? It's not retro, it's previous generation design styling regret.

Car companies want to start over again; come clean - pretend all those models after the third generation don't exist.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:13 PM

The new concept is amazing. There is no doubt in my mind that I will own one. I can't believe that anyone would even try to question the aesthetics of the new concept. It is the best retrostyled concept yet. Why do they keep on producing these retrostyled vehicles? Because the muscle car era, the sixties, produced some of the best looking and most powerful cars that have ever been made.

I was born in '82... i'm a far cry from being a baby boomer, but I still have more than enough taste to be able to appreciate what has been created here. I might be a little biased since I own a '69 camaro myself. There is no more sought after year of camaro than the 1969, so it makes sense that they would use its styling as the basis of the concept.

I like 1st, 3rd, and 4th gen stying. The first couple of years of the 2nd gen look alright, but it is my opinion that the later 70's camaros are really lacking. My brother owns a 2002 z/28 that I am very familiar with. I think 4th gens are great, but I have always thought that they lack a little character in the styling department. Hopefully they will produce something similar to this concept... I would even consider trading my '69 for one if has the performance that i'm looking for.

I think the new GTO was mentioned at some point... I think it is a great vehicle. It definitely deserves the GTO namesake when you consider its power and performance. When styling is considered though, I think it falls short. It looks like a grand am with a little attidude. No, I don't think it should have been retrostyled. I just think if you're going use a name as legendary as GTO, you should make it look a little more legendary and a little less bland. I'm sure most of you already know, but they didn't put any effort to designing it. They took a pre-existing car, the Holden Monaro, from Australia and slapped a GTO badge on it. Way to go GM. Like i said, I do like it, but aesthetically it doesn't impress me even a little.

I think GM learned a little lesson with the GTO and now they are making things right with the Camaro. We'll see...
Old 01-08-2006, 05:15 PM

You can get back to basics with copying a specific design. The Charger and 300 are not retro.
But they are retro.

Retro doesn't mean an exact copy of something. A fashion, decor, design, or style reminiscent of things past is considered retro. The 300C is especially a retro design.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by JOE96Z28SS
Have you actually Drove one??? I have and '05 LS2 6spd and I'm here to say it is in no way shape or form a grand prix, hell Pontiac didn't actually make it Holden did and I love it

BTW Have you Seen GM's retro Camaro special induction system for the New Camaro:

I'm sure if the Camaro concept looked as bland as a GTO or like a big Cobalt SS you'd love it, right?
Old 01-08-2006, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by NikiVee
But they are retro.

Retro doesn't mean an exact copy of something. A fashion, decor, design, or style reminiscent of things past is considered retro. The 300C is especially a retro design.

What is retro about it?
Old 01-08-2006, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by ChristianSS
Retro Camaro or no Camaro at all? It's better than nothing. We wanted the Camaro and now we got it. I personally dont like retro, but i think this car looks real good.
Rosie O'Donnell for a prom date or go stag? Just curious how low you'd go?
Old 01-08-2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chocolate Apocalypse
I'm sure if the Camaro concept looked as bland as a GTO or like a big Cobalt SS you'd love it, right?
No I wouldn't, just somthing Modern, Or maybe classic styling cues but I don't want the first glance to be "Oh,they made an old one). And my 05 GTO is probably the most attention getting car I have ever owned, to even talk about it in the same breath as the Cobalt is just retarded. Sure it's not wild, But there is No other US sold GM car that compares to it except the corvette. And I can't even drive it to work without people noticing it and my Camaro is pretty radical! I just have some dissapointment with GM. I was waiting to be floored like I was in 1993 and It was like they just followed suit with Ford, I guess time will tell. I'll bet these cars (Mustang included) will not go down in history as a great car, just a flash in the pan copy of somthing that once was and will never be again.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:51 PM

I guess ill just hold my opinions until it's in showrooms.

NOS2006 has a thread in this forum with some very nice photoshops, and they indeed look very good.

This may be one of those case where it needs to grow on you.

Dunno.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by SNEAKY NEIL
What is retro about it?
The 4 front headlights, The C pillar of a 69, along with rear 69 rear 1/4s only exagerated. the tail lights are the 4 rear tail lights Granted their encased in a square shape but they are there. I think the 3 piece spoiler is too but not sure.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:06 PM

I think the best way to sum this thread up is: You can't make everyone happy, and some people ALWAYS have to complain about something, regardless of reality. The retro cries are getting pretty old, love it or hate it, it screams Camaro, and the fact that they're bringing back is the good news. So what if you don't like the 5th gen? Wait for the 6th, quitchercomplaining. Cut them some slack, and give them the credit they deserve. It's one thing to have an opinion and to not like it, but dang some of the responses people give are just downright disgusting and seems like average GM-bashing.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
The 4 front headlights, The C pillar of a 69, along with rear 69 rear 1/4s only exagerated. the tail lights are the 4 rear tail lights Granted their encased in a square shape but they are there. I think the 3 piece spoiler is too but not sure.
I was talking about the 300C. Someone said that it was retro and I was asking what about it is retro.

I know the Camaro concept is retro, believe me.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one Dissapointed in retro???